Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 12:16 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,717 times

Advertisements

What about when someone you know well changes their name ! Yikes - this doesn't work for me because when I look at them or address them the name they were born with and that I've always said is what I say.

Also, I know people that have decided to go by their middle name now instead of their first name! I really do try and say the middle name but their birth name is what I say. Some get upset by this and I've said I'm not going to say your name anymore at all. It's too much work to try and think of your new name and I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone.

The other thing I run in to, which is really the same thing, is now people I know want to be addressed by their full name not the abrev. So Chris wants to now go by Christine and so on.

People that do this should not expect this to come naturally for someone that knows only one name with someone. Now for someone new they meet it's easy for that person to address them by the (new) name because that's the association.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 01:09 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
But can a person really help what their parents have named them?
No they can't. But the sad fact is, we still judge people based on name. Someone once told me I had the first name of a "gum chewing cheerleader." My mother used to tell me that no one would hire me if I took my dad's "ethnic name." The irony is that for my very first job, i was hired by that same ethnic group specifically *because* of my name.

I've known at least 6 people who have changed their name having nothing to do w marriage. I'm actually considering another name change myself.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
People can mangle many names they shouldn't.

My daughters name is Chloe. Not a difficult name to pronounce. People call her Cleo, Chow, Chol, Cholo, Clare and another dozen variations I cannot even fathom. Why? I have no idea. It isn't even a weird spelling.

But considering the name has a lot of meaning to her father and I, she is happy to have a name that wasn't just picked out of a book.
I don't think the pronunciation of Chloe is as easy as you think. It is French for starters. If i was never exposed to or taught how to say your daughter name, i would definitely pronounce it "Chellow" because that's what it would be if you pronounced it using American English.

Pretty name but I'm not surprised everyone hasn't LEARNED to pronounce it!

Old 08-22-2014, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I know a guy of Russian parentage named Maximillian Maximillianovich __________ (last name). I bet you can't beat that!
I worked w a Sylvia Silva. She's in her 60s now so she didn't even fall in the "trendy name" fad of the last fe decades.

I actually kinda like it.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:28 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Does a person's given name enhance, detract or is it neutral from what we think of as their overall looks and appearance? If you see someone that looks very good, and then they are introduced with a name that you dislike, does that detract from the overall package or does it have little or no effect?
Names definitely matter to me. I wish I had a better name, but I don't think I'll bother officially changing it.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:17 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I love that name! I'm pretty sure if I have a daughter that I'll name her Jacqueline.
I like Jacqueline (for a girl) but not crazy about "Jackie" or "jack"

same as - I like Victoria but not so much "Vicky"

Elizabeth I like but not liz, betty is ok

you don't see many phillips' anymore, or norma's

I met a lady from work - her actual name is missy, she is around 55 with gray hair, so she doesn't like to be called missy anymore- she has a nickname "beth" she wants people to call her

parents need to be careful with funky names
because if the kid doesn't like it, or gets picked on, he will use a nickname, like bubba or lefty

I knew a kid, the parents named annakin- it was darth vader/star wars related, and the other kids called him darth or anus

Old 08-22-2014, 04:26 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I don't think the pronunciation of Chloe is as easy as you think. It is French for starters. If i was never exposed to or taught how to say your daughter name, i would definitely pronounce it "Chellow" because that's what it would be if you pronounced it using American English.

Pretty name but I'm not surprised everyone hasn't LEARNED to pronounce it!
not sure how chellow comes from chloe, but don't call a Stacey the name "tracey" or tracey-stacey

if I had a daughter I like the name Katie or Julia

Old 08-22-2014, 06:06 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Porsche or Portia? Because even though they are pronounced the same, Portia is from Shakespeare.
Yes. "Portia" is a pretty name that was a character in "The Merchant of Venice", a Shakespearean play.

"Porsche" is a German luxury sports car. The problem is, when spoken they sound the same. For that reason I would not use it.

For the record "Mercedes" is a Spanish name. However, it was the name of the daughter of the designer of the automobile.

When people today chose the girl's name "Mercedes", I can safely say that 90% of them are thinking of the luxury automobile, not the legitimate name.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:01 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I agree with this. This is how I feel as well.

Ghetto names with apostrophes, hyphens and ending in "qua" or "te" (pronounced "tay") I usually look at them differently.
I couldn't agree more. Plus I can neither spell them nor pronounce them. I believe they are typically invented by the parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Naming a child some weird name is usually not beneficial to that child.
The Brayden/Jaden/Madison thing is annoying. It seems like every 3-6 year old child has one of those names. But it could be much worse. My sister told me the other day her friend named her daughter Crimson. Both she and I immediately think of blood every time her name comes up. Poor little girl

Old 08-22-2014, 08:25 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I like Jacqueline (for a girl) but not crazy about "Jackie" or "jack"

Haha, if you meet a Jaqueline in Germany, she is most likely from East Germany with a nasty slang. They pronounce it Schakkkliiin.

I am super tall, so IF I would have children, I would have to stay away from girl names like CINDY and GRACE, if I don't want them to become a joke later on.

Imagine, a tall, maybe overweight GRACE or CINDY stomps into the room, people would probably burst into laughter, because they expected somebody petite and short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty