Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 03:40 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomoley View Post
Long hair looks beautiful when it's in good shape -- not too dry, not too thin, not too brittle. This applies to a woman of any age, and I think that generally-speaking, as we age, our aging hair sometimes tends to take on these not-so-attractive qualities.

Many of us, therefore, come to the consensus that we look better with our hair short once it no longer looks healthy. This, coupled with the desire to have an "easy" style, is the reason most women end up cutting their hair as they get older.

If you enjoy having your hair long and believe you look your best this way, then more power to you... I frequently see ladies in their 60's-70's with long, beautiful hair, and I LOVE it! In fact, just today I ran into a stunning older woman with hip-length, thick, wavy, salt & pepper hair... couldn't help stopping her to tell her how gorgeous she is.
Totally agree.

I'm 48, my hair is halfway down my back, and I'll continue to grow it. If it began to thin or look unhealthy at all, then I would cut it shorter. So far, that's not as issue.

Just in the last month or so, I've also seen a couple of women in their late 50's/60s with waist-length, beautiful, thick, healthy hair. And yes, salt and pepper, which I think can be SO attractive on a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 03:42 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times
I had a hairdresser tell me women over 35 should not have their hair to their shoulders or longer because their hair is less healthy and they're too old for the look.

I've recently let my hair grow and I'm going to keep going just to see how long it will get. I'm thinking Chrystal Gale.

I don't plan on cutting it unless my hair develops a problem or something.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomoley View Post
Long hair looks beautiful when it's in good shape -- not too dry, not too thin, not too brittle. This applies to a woman of any age, and I think that generally-speaking, as we age, our aging hair sometimes tends to take on these not-so-attractive qualities.

Many of us, therefore, come to the consensus that we look better with our hair short once it no longer looks healthy. This, coupled with the desire to have an "easy" style, is the reason most women end up cutting their hair as they get older.

If you enjoy having your hair long and believe you look your best this way, then more power to you... I frequently see ladies in their 60's-70's with long, beautiful hair, and I LOVE it! In fact, just today I ran into a stunning older woman with hip-length, thick, wavy, salt & pepper hair... couldn't help stopping her to tell her how gorgeous she is.
I realized this summer that my hair is finally long enough that I can feel it on my back. I was born with ultra fine hair and it still is, no more than it was but still 'baby fine'. I bleached it and had perms and the perms were the biggest disastor. Then had fun with various shades of red from unintended purple to orange. Most of them at some point were not what I had in mind. Then I let it grow out and HATED the grey. There's mostly a silvery grey which came in early.

Then I decided to try henna. I LOVE henna. Its messy and it takes a long time but no burning scalp, breaking off hair and a lovely natural red. I had to keep it trimmed shoulder length until I cut off all the chemically treated hair as the henna couldn't make up for the damage.

Now, I intend to see how long I can get it. It feels strange for it to be down on my skin but its been a long while. Henna and biotin tablets transformed my hair and I'm SO glad I took the chance.

I wear long dangly earrings too, and Bajoran ones, and make my own. I don't really look 62 but even if I come to some day, I'm not ashamed of not being 40 anymore.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:47 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I had a hairdresser tell me women over 35 should not have their hair to their shoulders or longer because their hair is less healthy and they're too old for the look.

I've recently let my hair grow and I'm going to keep going just to see how long it will get. I'm thinking Chrystal Gale.

I don't plan on cutting it unless my hair develops a problem or something.

As for that hairdresser saying a woman's hair looks less healthy over the age of 35, that's kind of a crazy generalization. Hair health has SO much to do with nutrition. My mom is 71, she keeps her hair in a mid-neck bob, and her hair is gorgeous. But she's always been very health-conscious.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 10-04-2014 at 04:51 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 03:49 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Which backs up my thinking that it isn't that long hair is aging, it's more people get stuck on a look and THAT is aging. How many people do you see sporting mullets? Wash and sets with so much hair spray lacquered on? Long straight hair parted in the middle? I saw a 60 year old woman wearing a "that Girl" flip a month ago.
Yep. I check fashion trends before every season to ensure I'm not totally out of touch with current styles.

I do have a part in the middle right now though but that's the "in" thing. Maybe you're meaning unlayered straight hair though, a la Brady Bunch.

How about the stuck-in-the-80s looks? Like the bangs curled under with curling irons, and a big bubble of hair feathered back on top of your head instead of a part. That one was a lot of effort--teasing and coating with hairspray to defy gravity. I, for one, hope that one never comes back in style in my lifetime.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:21 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I prefer long, why would any woman want a man's short haircut at any age? I've seen models and other women with crew cuts wearing pants or business suits, you'd swear they really want to become men because they are trying so hard to look like one!
What makes short hair automatically "a man's short haircut"? Since when do men have the sole right to wear pants or business suits?

Should all women wear skirts and long hair just to please you?

Old 10-04-2014, 04:33 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
Yep. I check fashion trends before every season to ensure I'm not totally out of touch with current styles.

I do have a part in the middle right now though but that's the "in" thing. Maybe you're meaning unlayered straight hair though, a la Brady Bunch.

How about the stuck-in-the-80s looks? Like the bangs curled under with curling irons, and a big bubble of hair feathered back on top of your head instead of a part. That one was a lot of effort--teasing and coating with hairspray to defy gravity. I, for one, hope that one never comes back in style in my lifetime.
The hair at the top of my head is thinning a bit -- I have tons of hair, so I notice it and everyone else thinks I'm crazy, which is why I like a short on top style, so my hair pops up a bit. So I sort of do that style... but it's not so radical a lift.

As far as short hair being easy -- that's one of those things that's also individual. For me, longer hair is crazy easy. I use a turbie twist towel to soak up as much water as possible, and do all the other after shower stuff first.

The I take off the towel, comb out my hair, put in a little Kerasilk, bend at the waist and blow dry and scrunch my curls in. After a minute, I straighten up and use a vent brush to do the top of my hair. By the I'm done, my hair is still pretty damp, but drying my hair with curl all the way is a guarantee frizz.

And weirdly enough -- when it's short and I have to spend 5 minutes drying it completely so it doesn't flatten out... it doesn't frizz. Makes no sense at all.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:13 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I thought another reason as people age their face thins out or some say droops so having long hair may make that more noticeable? I am 36 and have long straight hair just past my shoulder but as I get older I believe I will cut it or put in some layers. I think some will just depend on how my face and hair changes.
For others I feel they should wear their hair however they like it. My mom is 62 and she has curly hair but it is long and it looks cute. On someone else it may not look the same so it depends on the person as well.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:31 PM

107 posts, read 157,322 times
I don't know why but I just don't think it looks that good and not just on women but also on men.
My brother seems to be the last of the original hippies and his hair is long. It looks really bad. Perhaps if the hair was dyed it might look better.

Last edited by Catavenger; 10-04-2014 at 08:45 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 07:54 PM

706 posts, read 1,180,133 times
I've heard that among the other so called rules for older women (ie, no skirts above the knee, no low cut shirts, blah, blah, blah). My hair is almost to my waist and I have no intention of adhering to that rule anymore than the many other rules that try and dictate what a grown woman should/should not do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty