Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 04:29 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times

Advertisements

Well does anyone have clothing from these decades that is still wearable without sticking out? I'm almost completely a jeans/polo/t-shirt/gym shorts/cargo shorts/sweatshirt/hoodie type of person and I don't think anything about wearing a pair of Levi's that were bought in the 90s. I also wear a lot of my brother's t-shirts from 90s. IMO, a polo is a polo as long as it fits. I have button down collar shirts from the 90s that I still wear with the sleeves rolled up. Gym shorts and hoodies never seem to go out of style. Heck, even shoes from the 90s-'00s still look ok to me (boots, sneakers (Air Max, Jordans, Pennys, etc etc etc).

When will all this stuff be too out of style to wear without looking crazy? A lot of stuff that's used to describe 70s and 80s fashion would definitely stand out. Is it just that simple clothing that isn't particularly fashionable takes a looooong time to completely look odd?

I don't think I have anything bought within the last 15 years that I'd be embarrassed to wear out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 11:40 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
I don't think anything from 20 years ago would have much "fiber integrity" after all this time!

Old 01-25-2015, 12:03 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
Yep, even as far back as the 80's. My adult sons will tease me that they remember me wearing the outfit when they were kids.

BUT the really cool thing is, the last 2 weekends I had my grand daughters for the weekend, the 15 year old picked out some of my old clothes for HER to wear. We had a ball going through the clothes, and I was truly shocked at what has become "stylish" again. The items have held up wonderfully. Anything with an elastic waist was the only damage.

My 41 year old son flipped for my old bell bottoms when he was a teen. I cant remember if he wore them, but he was so skinny they fit him.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:12 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Well does anyone have clothing from these decades that is still wearable without sticking out? I'm almost completely a jeans/polo/t-shirt/gym shorts/cargo shorts/sweatshirt/hoodie type of person and I don't think anything about wearing a pair of Levi's that were bought in the 90s. I also wear a lot of my brother's t-shirts from 90s. IMO, a polo is a polo as long as it fits. I have button down collar shirts from the 90s that I still wear with the sleeves rolled up. Gym shorts and hoodies never seem to go out of style. Heck, even shoes from the 90s-'00s still look ok to me (boots, sneakers (Air Max, Jordans, Pennys, etc etc etc).

When will all this stuff be too out of style to wear without looking crazy? A lot of stuff that's used to describe 70s and 80s fashion would definitely stand out. Is it just that simple clothing that isn't particularly fashionable takes a looooong time to completely look odd?

I don't think I have anything bought within the last 15 years that I'd be embarrassed to wear out.
Do Polo shirts ever change in style, anyway, except maybe the length, for women?

Jeans are jeans. Most people don't notice the subtle differences in cut. I don't care if something's from a past decade, or whatever. If I like it and it looks great on me, why not wear it?

I've noticed that some shoe styles/designers keep going 10 years or more. Some woven shoe styles haven't changed in 20 years. Certain types of loafers haven't.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:30 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
From the 2000s, yes. I was a child in the 90s so any clothing from that period wouldn't fit me at all now.

I wore a lot of baggy jeans and sweatpants back then.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:40 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Absolutely! They are just beginning to get comfortable.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:43 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Yep, even as far back as the 80's. My adult sons will tease me that they remember me wearing the outfit when they were kids.

BUT the really cool thing is, the last 2 weekends I had my grand daughters for the weekend, the 15 year old picked out some of my old clothes for HER to wear. We had a ball going through the clothes, and I was truly shocked at what has become "stylish" again. The items have held up wonderfully. Anything with an elastic waist was the only damage.

My 41 year old son flipped for my old bell bottoms when he was a teen. I cant remember if he wore them, but he was so skinny they fit him.
I had a denim shirt that had survived from the 1970s. My 18 year old niece took one look and commandeered it. As my girth had increased just a wee bit since then and it didn't quite fit, I was delighted and especially with her evident pleasure in having it.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:55 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Yep. I have tees, sweatshirts and some heavy button downs (flannel or heavy weave cotton) that are at least 20+ years old. I also have all of my formal gowns dating back to high school and they look as good as new.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:13 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Yup. I have dozens of pairs of funky socks from the mid 90's that I have and still wear. Still have my wedding gown from 1996, too. And no I don't wear that thing.....LOL

Old 01-25-2015, 01:19 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,395 times
I have an old sweatshirt that says Syracuse University. I bought it in 1990. I tried to retire it several times and it keeps making it's way into the rotation, even though I don't wear it much. It still looks ok. No holes or fraying. The letters and image of the Orangeman are cracked. I have a great picture of a 20 year old me in that sweatshirt holding my newborn god daughter in 1991. I can't get rid of that shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty