Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 06:48 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Haven't personally come across anyone who plays the 'age game'.

All things considered, the so-called Baby Boomer generation are those born between of January 1, 1946 to December 31, 1964....that's a span of 18 years (interesting number since most 'generations' are considered to be 20 years).

Find it also interesting when statements encompass all Baby Boomers because they range in age (this year) from 51 to 69, and you'll find few 69 year olds who are of the same mindset of a 51 year old, and vice versa.
Gen Y or Milleniums are 2000-10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 07:52 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,717 times
OP - I've had this happen, too. People have said to me, "You'll be amazed if you knew my age" My first thought is I doubt it and secondly I don't care. This behavior is so unattractive. Someone drawing attention to themself about their age wants validation that they look good and/or look younger. Either way it's their issue about having difficulty with their own aging process. I find anytime someone is seeking validation, it's draining. It's better to find a way to honor and validate oneself so a person can be independent and not embarrase themself by playing this silly game.

When a person is aging gracefully they are secure with who they are and that is what is attractive

Old 02-04-2015, 09:12 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Haven't personally come across anyone who plays the 'age game'.

All things considered, the so-called Baby Boomer generation are those born between of January 1, 1946 to December 31, 1964....that's a span of 18 years (interesting number since most 'generations' are considered to be 20 years).

Find it also interesting when statements encompass all Baby Boomers because they range in age (this year) from 51 to 69, and you'll find few 69 year olds who are of the same mindset of a 51 year old, and vice versa.
Oh believe me, I had a 69 yo play this game recently too. He was trying to pick me up lol, and thought it would be sexy to let me know that he was a good 10 years older than he looked. Except of course that he looked his age.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:37 PM

823 posts, read 1,126,304 times
I think having access to the internet and being able to keep up with what the "young" people are doing these days, makes us feel younger than our parents did at the same age. They had no resource to be able to keep up with current trends like we do now.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:19 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Oh believe me, I had a 69 yo play this game recently too. He was trying to pick me up lol, and thought it would be sexy to let me know that he was a good 10 years older than he looked. Except of course that he looked his age.
Not surprising! Many 'older' guys are trying to pretend they're still young enough to attract women 20+ yrs younger than they are; and many older guys are just kidding themselves, unless they're filthy rich.

What I was referring to is when folks say that 'all' baby boomers are the same when there is an 18 year gap in ages.

A lot of 'older' guys end up looking for a nurse, or a purse.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:42 AM

4,061 posts, read 2,137,280 times
Stepka, I loved your astute observations! I've noticed the same thing. In my case, I have to kind of grin-and-bear it and suck it up because I don't color my hair so my dyed peers automatically see me as looking older and themselves looking younger (perhaps their eyes really do perceive this---or they are just trying to convince themselves that the time, money, and possibly toxic exposure to chemicals is accomplishing what they so desperately want). It's ironic because the same people who see me as looking old eat a less healthy diet than I do and exercise less than I do. Many are still working in their late fifties or sixties, so the stress can also take its toll, whereas I retired at 52. And I have good genetics (parents who lived to be 89 and 93, little wrinkles, etc.). So aside from the hair pigment (or lack thereof), I should be looking as young as the people who brag....

It just amazes me that these people won't say a thing about how I look, but will focus exclusively on themselves. And if they have to work so hard to extract a compliment/incredulous gasp, even if feigned, that someone can't possibly be said age, then what have they really accomplished? Well, I guess it's still a stroke to their ego---kind of like how rich older men still have their egos stroked about younger women "wanting" them, and not acknowledging that it is the money these women want.

I don't focus much on appearance, but I guess it's fine if doing so gives other people pleasure. Looking good is one thing. Trying to deny/fight aging is something else...and it's a game everyone loses. If cosmetics and procedures really make people look so young, why do over 40 actresses still have trouble finding roles?

What bugs me is that these people are so self-absorbed that they can't even go through the motions of trying to compliment me before they seek out the praise they think they so richly deserve.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:49 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Haha - I don't need to "play any game" - even in my 60s I have young guys flirting with me (old ones too, LOL) Bottom line, age doesn't matter at all - someone is either attractive or they aren't. An I'm not just talking about looks here. Some people look and act older than they are when they are quite young, and I know many where the opposite is true. I never care how many birthdays anyone else has seen, age is nothing but a number.

I will say that I don't think there is anything wrong with people thinking good things about themselves, as in they think look younger or whatever. It is good to think well of yourself. The rude part comes when they start imposing it on others for validation. I myself am a really bad guesser of age (since it is not important to me) so if anyone wanted me to guess I would have to give a huge range covering a couple of decades! LOL

Old 02-05-2015, 10:07 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
When asked to guess, my answer is, Not a day over twelve.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:37 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Next time, guess their age, but add 10 years. They'll stop doing it.

You can also reply "Which part?".

Old 02-05-2015, 02:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
I just tell people how old I am when they ask.

Eh. That's how old I am. It's up to them to decide whether they think I look older or younger than that, if that's what kind of game they like to play.

People rarely get my age right when they try to guess it, but I never ENCOURAGE the guessing.

Unless I was at one of those carnival booths where they try to guess your age, weight, birth month... I just don't see the point.

I did ask the kids to guess my age when I taught school and they'd ask. Mostly because their guesses are so wild. I taught elementary school. LOL.

I was 33 when I started teaching, and I'd get anything from 21 to 50. Kids are funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty