Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 09:56 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

I can guarantee you if/when one of these people who like to play the guess my age game gets a chronic disease they won't be playing that game any longer. They will be shouting their true age from the roof tops or they should be just because they lived another day.

If one does not have good or even decent health their lives change dramatically and things that mattered yesterday don't matter at all today and never will again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 09:57 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
I know, u can say. "Homey, don't play that game" Some will be thinking, "who's Homey"? I don't care to ask or be asked. Those that do force it on me, pretty much shut up after I tell them and I can't believe someone then even couldn't believe me (like I was going to lie) wanted to see my driver's license.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:16 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
My theory is if you lie about your age you will lie about most anything. Don't have time for vain people who are full of themselves. Some of these women think they have to get Botox and fake boobs to have any self esteem.
So sad!
I've heard that, also, but I still don't understand the logic behind it- if there even is any logic behind it.
I mean it's one of those types of questions that's personal, and rarely has a legitimate purpose. There can be situations in which the question is warranted- but not many. In my opinion, it's in the same category as asking someone "How much do you weigh?"- appropriate in very few settings, but not as casual conversation.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:36 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I really don't care how old someone is, how old they think they are, or how old they tell me they are.
Exactly. I can't remember anyone asking me to guess their age, but if they did I'd probably tell them I have no idea and don't care to guess.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:47 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I always enjoy the people who say they are in their 40's but are often "mistaken" for someone in their 20's.........um, okay, and I've got a draw bridge in the Sahara right next to the ocean I would like to sell you..........
This happens a lot to baby-faced women who aren't curvy. There are a few guys out there, too, who look like they're 20-somethings, in their 40's. They have a child-like look about them.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:15 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
And I am one. But here's the scenario and it happens all the time. Having a conversation w/ someone and they bring up age and want to know how old I am. I tell them, b/c I truly don't care if anyone knows my age--it's not that important. They act totally un-amazed and then go on to tell me that I'd be totally amazed to find out how old they are and if they're really obnoxious they'll even ask me to guess. I swiftly let them know that I don't play that game and if they want to tell me they can. So then they make these little noises to let me know that I'm going to be really shocked and slip out something in a whisper like, "66!" And if I'm feeling polite then I've got to pretend to be totally floored. And I almost never am. Please folks--can't we all just age gracefully instead of trying to compete with our kids? (Something will always give them away, like a wrinkly neck or a stoop when they walk or something.)

I'm not shy about disclosing my age, either.

However, people get into big trouble when they ask me to guess their age, because I am incredibly good at it, and I usually disappointment those who hoped I'd give a much younger number. Ain't gonna happen.

Some time back a co-worker was yakking with a customer and I paid no attention to them. Co-worker called my name and asked me to guess "how old" the other hopeful lady was. I said "41" and they both died from shock. "Were you listening to us?" the other woman asked. Nope, I wasn't. But, while she was the youngest-looking 41 year old I've seen - she could rightfully pass for 30 - I still saw it and guessed right on the number. She looked crushed. But I won't lie, so don't ask.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:28 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
My mother in law is in her 80s and still says she is middle aged when age comes up. Yep, I guess she is if she is planning on living until 165.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:29 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
And I am one. But here's the scenario and it happens all the time. Having a conversation w/ someone and they bring up age and want to know how old I am. I tell them, b/c I truly don't care if anyone knows my age--it's not that important. They act totally un-amazed and then go on to tell me that I'd be totally amazed to find out how old they are and if they're really obnoxious they'll even ask me to guess. I swiftly let them know that I don't play that game and if they want to tell me they can. So then they make these little noises to let me know that I'm going to be really shocked and slip out something in a whisper like, "66!" And if I'm feeling polite then I've got to pretend to be totally floored. And I almost never am. Please folks--can't we all just age gracefully instead of trying to compete with our kids? (Something will always give them away, like a wrinkly neck or a stoop when they walk or something.)
It isn't just Boomers-it is vain and insecure people of all ages.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:46 PM

477 posts, read 509,406 times
I have never experienced this from a baby boomer, but I have sometimes seen it in much older folks. Even then, not very often. A bare handful of times in my over-half-a-century.

Frankly I don't see why it upsets you. Who cares? Personally I now look much older than my actual age, but even when I looked younger, it wasn't an issue for me either way. I'm not sure why you can't just mentally roll your eyes and let it go.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:19 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
I'm a Baby Boomer, and I have never asked anyone to guess my age. Personally I think it's rude to put someone on the spot like that. I do have a theory, though, about why someone of my generation would do this. When we were young, the media was falling all over itself to praise us. We were the new generation, we were breaking the rules, we were hip, we were cool, we were going to change the world. All this youth worship made an impression on our psyches. Now that we are old, we don't want to give up that image we have of ourselves as young people. So we flatter ourselves into thinking that we look younger than we really do.

There is some truth in this belief, actually. Our parents' generation aged faster than we did. They smoked cigarettes, drank too much, ate all the wrong foods, didn't exercise, and many of them didn't get regular medical and dental care because they lived in a time when there wasn't health insurance. My generation has benefited from medical advances and increased awareness of diet and lifestyle choices that our parents didn't have access to. On the whole we take better care of ourselves, and it shows. Now instead of being in the vanguard of youth, we are redefining old age.

The other night I was watching a Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers musical from 1935. One of the supporting players was an actress playing an old lady who has a bad heart and dies during the movie. I looked up the actress and discovered that the "old lady" was only about 60 when she played the part! I would have thought she was 10 years older than me instead of six years younger.

Those of us who are old enough to remember the TV series The Real McCoys will remember the great character actor Walter Brennan as the family patriarch "Grandpappy Amos," who walked with a limp and talked like an old codger. Well, when the series went into production in 1957, Mr. Brennan was 62 or 63 years old, not even Medicare eligible! Today's man in his early 60s is likely to be in much better shape physically and have most of his teeth.

This doesn't make us better or superior in any way, of course, but perhaps some of our delusions of looking younger have some basis in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty