Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 05:03 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else do this?

Not sure if this is a fashion question, or a sewing question, but there is no place to put a sewing question.
I know how to sew. I used to make some of my clothes, and some of my kids clothes, until it stopped being economical. I still sew things like drapes or other home décor stuff.

Anyway, today I went to Belk's, because I felt like having quality time with myself, and browsing, and they had a million dresses on sale. I have a hard time finding clothes off the rack that fit, but I bought 3 dresses. One is fine as is, which is a miracle, but the other two need alterations. I'm fine with that. One is way too big, but I bought it because it's a good brand (Tahari) and worth the trouble, and the last one is a bit tight but has multiple seams that can be let out.
I'm a happy camper, because of the cute outfits I bought, but if I could not sew I would have been less happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 05:07 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Some of the pants I purchase in the same size will vary depending which company makes them, and I don't like walking around in muffin-top looking pants. When I first started having this issue I would either return them and have them fitted, or just get them tailored (if they were expensive). Now I know what size I need per company. For dress shirts I go to the same company as they make a great size for my body, no issues there.

Off the rack clothes are a pain, and I'm a guy. I would suggest finding companies that have different size variations, for a better fit. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:30 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
In the last several years, there has only been one pair of pants that I purchased that did NOT need altering. I have a very short inseam so it's a given that if I'm buying pants, the next trip is to the seamstress.

Dresses usually need a hem as well. Sometimes I need dresses let out in the bust area. If the dress is a bit snug in the chest I will only buy it if it has a generous seam allowance.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:40 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
In the last several years, there has only been one pair of pants that I purchased that did NOT need altering. I have a very short inseam so it's a given that if I'm buying pants, the next trip is to the seamstress.

Dresses usually need a hem as well. Sometimes I need dresses let out in the bust area. If the dress is a bit snug in the chest I will only buy it if it has a generous seam allowance.
This. I always need petite pants/jeans. Usually they are short enough, but sometimes I still need them hemmed. My gf is even shorter than me (5') and she buys a petite jean. She ALWAYS has to take her pants to the seamstress in addition to getting the petite size. I get my dresses at Ross and TJ Maxx. I don't know who they make the long dresses for, but they are always incredibly long, like for a woman 6' tall or taller, so I have to have several inches taken off the bottom of those too.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:01 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This. I always need petite pants/jeans. Usually they are short enough, but sometimes I still need them hemmed. My gf is even shorter than me (5') and she buys a petite jean. She ALWAYS has to take her pants to the seamstress in addition to getting the petite size. I get my dresses at Ross and TJ Maxx. I don't know who they make the long dresses for, but they are always incredibly long, like for a woman 6' tall or taller, so I have to have several inches taken off the bottom of those too.
Oh, jeeze, I have the opposite problem. Everything is always too short. I used to have great legs, back in the day, but now I want dresses and skirts to go to the knee, and I have always been 5'11". Nobody wants to see an older woman with her skirt half way up her thigh. Funny though, the last time I got measured at the doctor, I had shrunk to 5'9", so I can at least find pants long enough now.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:02 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post

Lol yep it's rare that I buy something that doesn't need to be altered
I recently bought jeans that were the right length .... Until I realised they were meant to be worn cropped, lol

Old 04-06-2015, 08:56 AM

917 posts, read 2,005,321 times
I never used to but if something is a little too big and the price is right I will. I bought a cheap dress and ended up taking to the tailor and it because the sleeves were too big and the tailor only cost about $7 extra.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:09 AM

108 posts, read 146,680 times
I think i've never done that but i like wearing clothes with chil design. Some weed clothes are really great . I had great fun having those from the Highershop. marijuana tees are very elegant.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:11 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethAuyeung View Post
I think i've never done that but i like wearing clothes with chil design. Some weed clothes are really great . I had great fun having those from the Highershop. marijuana tees are very elegant.
Marijuana t-shirts can never be elegant...

Old 04-20-2015, 06:14 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I rarely take anything to get it altered simply because I can do the hem myself on my sewing machine.
The sleeves don't bother me if they are long because I usually cut them to 3/4 length and put in a hem anyway.

As far as anything that has a design on the front, I haven't worn that style since I was about 13 in public.
My choice but I just don't like to wear Tee Shirts in public and I definitely don't like Tee Shirts with any sort of message about anything, especially drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty