Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:24 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

I button both buttons but will switch them using the bottom hole with the top button and vice versa, it's one of the ways I use to get back at "the man"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 02:41 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
Double breasted you do button both/all.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:50 PM

837 posts, read 2,334,872 times
Everything you need to know here: Ask Andy About Clothes | Home | Men's Style & Clothing Advice

Old 05-05-2015, 03:05 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHiker1 View Post
Then why does the internet seem to make such a big deal about it? Once I started Googling it, this is one of the first things that came up (from Esquire):

There is a scourge upon us. It's not pestilence, or war. It's something more subtle and nefarious than that. Guys the world over have forgotten a cardinal rule of dressing themselves: Don't button the bottom button of your suit jacket. Ever. It's the quickest possible way to make yourself look like you don't know what you're doing (and like you just gained ten pounds). So don't do it.
Still having trouble with this concept? Don't worry. There's even a quick mnemonic to help you out: sometimes, always, never. That's how often you should button each button on a three-button jacket, from top to bottom. For a two-button, it's even simpler: always, never. Never. That's how often you should button your bottom button.
Please make a note of it.

Found this out years ago. And then the engineer in me kicks in: why put it there if one is not supposed to use it? The other thing I learned at that time to was that the shirt length should be longer than the jacket arm length. IMHO, it looks terrible, regardless of what all the fashionistas say.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:10 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Double breasted you do button both/all.
Sometimes the bottom row isn't buttoned. Buttoning all is ok though usually.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:29 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No one cares, it is stupid to even think about it.

The button being unbuttoned is for when you sit down, this allows the suit jacket to still sit well on you.
Nope. When you sit down you unbutton your jacket, then button it again when you stand up.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:38 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
Absolutely. I'm a long-time member over there and I frequently refer people with clothing questions there.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:40 PM

837 posts, read 2,334,872 times
I didn't know you should only wear watches with leather bands with suits, until I stumbled upon it, lol. Nor did know your socks should always match your trousers. Love that site!

Old 05-05-2015, 05:07 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHiker1 View Post
I feel like a dummy because I don't dress nice too often.

I was at a fancy get-together recently and wore a suit. Luckily, at least it was a nice suit and I researched what type of shirt, tie, etc. to wear with it.

But I gotta be honest, I was completely unaware that you aren't supposed to button both buttons on a two-button suit!

There was about an hour of cocktails and standing around chatting before we sat down and I took my jacket off. No one said anything, so I don't know if they noticed or not. But I'm still embarrassed.

1. Did I look like an idiot to everyone there for having both buttons buttoned?

2. What other little rules about suit wearing are there that I might not know!?

Not a big deal - probably no one noticed.....also, you unbotton the remaining jacket button when you sit down (I guess unless it's a double breasted suit).

Old 05-05-2015, 05:11 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Because Esquire is an elitist rag?
Yeah, plus, they're writing for entertainment. You know, humor through exaggeration? OP, you're not supposed to take it all literally. Relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty