Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:45 AM

221 posts, read 318,322 times

Advertisements

Ok.

Summer is coming. Swimsuits are coming. I've only ever shaved to maintain my "area", if you will. I hate the stubble growth that happens after only a few days, and the bumps it causes, and the nicks I sometimes get.

I've never gotten a bikini wax but I am highly considering it. Thoughts? Advice? Opinions? I'd like to hear from people who have gone the waxing route.

How much does it really hurt? (Think back to your first time)
How long can you go until you need to wax again?
Does it cause lasting redness/bumps like shaving does?

On a related note, has anyone ever waxed their upper lip? I've noticed that since I hit a certain age, the fine hair on my lip is more noticeable than it ever has been before and I'd like to take care of that.

On another related note, has anyone ever had laser bikini hair removal? Obviously it's more expensive, but is the outcome worth it? How many laser sessions do you need? Does the hair ever permanently stop growing after a certain number of laser treatments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 08:14 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
TMI ALERT!

For a bikini wax, pain is different for everyone. For me it is awful, awful, awful. I get red and swollen (TMI!). However, many of my friends do not find it painful at all.

When you go, take to ibuprofen before you go to help alleviate the pain. See if you can find a salon that puts a numbing agent on before you get waxed. Ask your friends for someone they have been to. Waxing can vary by salon and person!

Before I moved I finally found someone who was relatively painless, and made it bearable.

Your hair growth again, varies. How fast does your hair normally grow? Some women need to go every 10 days, some can go longer. It does last and look a hell of a lot better than shaving!

Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
It hurts like hell each time she pulls the strip away, but it only lasts for about 10 seconds. The most bizarre burning sensation .... The 40-Year-Old Virgin scene was not an exaggeration.

You also will have to get used to an aesthetician seeing all of your hoo-hoo, even with a paper bikini bottom.

Stretch your hip joints before you go in.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:30 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,808 times
I use pant swimsuits and swimsuit skirts, no waxing, no pain!

Old 05-19-2015, 08:42 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
I have done it before many times. I don't do it anymore. I just shave my naughty bits close. I don't have problems with itching or irritation, probably because I've done this for years. Waxing hurts. A lot. But it only hurts a minute when she pulls the strips off. My aesthetician used ice before she applied the strip, but I don't think that helped much. The main thing I didn't like about doing it was not the pain, but the fact that you have to let the hair grow out considerably before you can get it redone so the strips can grab it again, and since the whole point of waxing it to be smooth and hair free, that defeated the purpose in my view. So I use clippers plus a razor, save money, and it's more convenient and not painful Oh, and as for a lip wax, I hate that even more than bikini wax. It hurts ten times worse, IMO. Your lips are the second most sensitive part of your body (right up there with your fingers), so if hair on your upper lip is a problem, I suggest you bleach, not wax the hair. Have fun! Not.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:45 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
It hurts, but not as much as I was expecting it to. The tops of my feet and backs of my knees were worse. It varies so much, though ... my friend bleeds from her hair follicles every time.

Pulling the skin as taut as possible and not being able to yank it upwards are crucial. I have a stretch mark that goes down into that area, and the scar cannot be pulled smooth. The first time I was waxed I didn't know any better, and I did bleed and have lingering nasty pain there. That's a no-wax zone now.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:07 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
I only waxed the hoo-ha once and it was awful, especially considering I've got a high tolerance for pain. My preferred "landscaping" method is to use razors with 5 blades, and give it a quick once-over every morning in the shower, which prevents stubble.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:14 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,302,520 times
Like others said, it depends SOOOO much on the person doing it and what kind of wax they use, etc. If they do the proper prep first (like applying some oil to your skin so they wax only sticks to the hair and not skin), it makes a lot of difference.

I've had some waxings where I broke out like crazy with irritated red bumps, and other times not at all. I'm not sure if it was the waxer or the product, and I've moved around a lot so I can't remember where the good ones versus bad ones were.

To me, it's worth it if you're going to be around pool/beach/water a lot in the summer. But the one bad thing about it is....you have to let the hair grow out to a certain length before it can be waxed again. So during that time, you have to avoid swimsuits in public or wear something with a swim skirt or boy shorts, etc.

In a pinch, I've actually done my own bikini wax at home! Of course I can't get into every nook & cranny, but I can get the most important areas (the part that isn't covered in a swimsuit). I've bought the wax at Sally's that comes in a little jar and you microwave it to melt it and spread it on with a little thing that comes with it, let it dry until slightly hardened, and lift the edge & pull off! It works really well, but it takes forever b/c you can only do very small patches at a time. The kits I used came with the oil to prep skin with, and I NEVER had bumps or irritation when I did my own using that product.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:15 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,302,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I only waxed the hoo-ha once and it was awful, especially considering I've got a high tolerance for pain. My preferred "landscaping" method is to use razors with 5 blades, and give it a quick once-over every morning in the shower, which prevents stubble.
I've tried that, and I get razor bumps so bad, it's HORRIBLE. Wish it worked for me, but it doesn't.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
^^Yeah, sometimes it's a matter of getting the technique down, but for some it doesn't work too well no matter what. Kind of like how some dudes are very prone to razor burn if they have that dreaded combo of sensitive skin and course facial hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty