Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:55 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times

Advertisements

Another lover of Shalimar here, though I don't wear perfume very often.

And... talk about old scents... I actually like how 4711 smells. I used to steal some from my grandmother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
My mom always lived in Estee Lauder's White Linen, but of recent years, she's converted to Lancome Tresor as her signature scent.

I like light, clean scents, nothing heavy or musky. One of the first bottles of perfume I received as a gift when I was a kid was old school...Muguet des Bois, which was old school even for an 80s kid...Coty launched it in the 1940s. I STILL love the smell of Muguet, but don't really wear it anymore.

Of contemporary scents, I favor Philosophy's Grace collection, but they don't have much staying power.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:25 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
My mother used to wear Prince Matchabelli. It was in a giant bottle that looked like it had peplums or something. Interestingly enough, years later, I used to love Wind Song which is made by Prince Matchabelli. Go figure.

Emeraude reminds me of my grandmother.

My first perfume was Love's Babysoft. When I was 13, my favorite aunt bought me L'air du Temps and I loved that. I also used to wear Lady Stetson and Beautiful.

Currently, I'm wearing either Happy or Clean.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:59 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Back in the day, Blue Waltz was every little girl's first "perfume". We bought it in the dime store for 10 cents. lol Along with Blue Waltz, we bought our first lipstick Tangee Natural. Also 10 cents.

Of the old fragrance, I always loved Coty's Emeraude. Until a friend returned from Europe and brought me a bottle of L'Interdit.

These days, I don't wear scent. Too many times I've choked on the strong smell of someone's "trail" in the store. I swear, one woman had on something that actually made my eyes water.

If Avon would bring back "Forever Spring" I could wear that; a very light joyful aroma.
The proper way to wear scent is very subtly. A man should not be able to smell a woman until he gets into kissing range. If he learns to associate the scent with the touch of you, the merest hint of it will short circuit his brain. It's a wonderful adjunct to romance.

Unfortunately, the proper use of scent is almost a lost art. Far too many people think that if a little is good, a lot is better. Women are not the only offenders. Some young guys use enough body spray to kill flies at 10'.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:04 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
Yes. I really like Estee by Estee Lauder. I've worn it since it came out in the early 70's. I tried different scents over the years but I've always came back to Estee. People have always stopped me to asked me what I'm wearing. I decided long ago that if that many people like it then its definitely a keeper. Must be something about my chemistry.

Larry I know just what you mean. People don't realize that you get used to it so you cant smell it. Other people can though. Some people wear so much it takes your breath away. When I worked there were dueling perfume ladies. One used Opium. If she couldn't smell it she sprayed.

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 06-22-2015 at 11:13 AM..

Old 06-22-2015, 11:06 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Yep. If you frequently get compliments on your scent, it's a keeper.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:11 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
I forgot Pavlova! The sweet, floral scent used to make me very happy.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:20 AM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
In the 60's my mother wore Emeraude and my father wore Canoe...
My husband and I have a selection of colognes but we usually just use a body spray.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:41 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,192 times
Many years ago I met Mme Lauder while working at G Fox & Co. She thanked me for the 'wonderful' job I was doing selling her brand of wigs and product. Not many of the guys were enthused about that aspect of the holiday mens dept sales job. I had many laughs during that time, but I ran across an Aramis derivative called "New West". It was only around a few years but it was my favorite for the few times using anything scented. Have tried to find it online to no avail.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:19 PM

733 posts, read 853,576 times
White Shoulders
Enjolie
Bluegrass
White Linen
Blue Carnation
Jean Nate'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty