Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 09:56 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,712,440 times

Advertisements

As I am going thru my closet and trying to re-calibrate my style. I found myself asking "what are some of my signature piece?" that I can work around and build some nice outfits without taking too much closet space. I am talking about everyday, work/casual.. clothes where you have few best pieces and you wear them often in different combination. It doesn't' have to be clothes, could be shoes or purse..etc

On top of my head I can think of:
  • Poka dot plazzo pant I brought last summer from Macy. I feel this is the most trendy item I have now & should wear it as much while it is still in style. I am not big fan of this & won't wear it out of love when the style fades but for now I think its cool item.
  • Orange tunic I have had for past 4 years and still love it. It is my go to item and I love the color especially in fall. I wear it under suit for formal wear, with jeans for casual, with khaki/slack for work.
How do you differentiate your signature piece? worth building outfits around vs. your basics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 10:00 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I don't have a signature piece, per se.

I have a certain style, under which most of my clothing falls, but no one staple piece.

A vintage Levi's jacket that I've had since about 1999 is probably the closest thing, and I don't know that I'd even call that a signature piece, necessarily.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:01 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
tight jeans and sneakers or sandals or knee high boots.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:16 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
I have a style but no 'signature piece'.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:19 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,712,169 times
I would have to say my knee high biker boots.... I can wear them with jeans, long skirts, short skirts with tights. Although technically, they aren't a piece of clothing!

As for clothes, I like all sorts of items, but I am really digging my maxi summer dresses right now.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:49 AM

342 posts, read 438,150 times
Chanel style jackets for colder month and dresses/sundresses for summer

Old 07-09-2015, 02:54 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
In cool weather, my cropped skinny leather jacket has been my signature for nearly a decade now (a great investment).
In warm weather, a brown pair of knee high gladiator sandals has been my signature for 5 years now (I actually broke the original pair and bought a nearly identical pair 2 summers ago). These sort of instantly add "cool" to an outfit.

I have a few nicer costume jewelry pieces that are interesting but not too trendy, so that I still wear them constantly after many years; one is an artisan-made necklace with glass cherries & leaves and the other is an Indian-style, bronze statement necklace with colorful "jewels" (easy to replace when they inevitably fall out now & then).

I also especially like
- Metallic shoes. I have gold ballet flats, bronze heels, and copper and silver sandals. They go with so much and also add interest to an outfit.
- Blue tie-dye prints. I have two long sundresses that have blue tie-dye prints, and I really love them for some reason. They are just for running errands or to the beach/pool, as they are super casual. I like the way blue tie-dye looks like water when done well, and it is an interesting print without being "too much" as some tie-dye can be (or at least, I am particular about which ones I go for). I've had one for over 6 years and the other is new.
- Sundresses. I generally prefer sundresses for warm weather over other clothes. I have several different styles of floral print ones too; a vintage late 70s but 50 style tulip print dress, a black with watercolor floral maxi dress (very early 90s), and a boho floral with a "cut out" in the back.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:38 PM

706 posts, read 1,180,318 times
Yoga pants and jeans....besides gym outfits, I'm in one or the other 90% of the time. I have found its really easy to dress either one up or down for any occasion.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:43 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
I have a number of pencil skirts. I find that I look better in that shape skirt than A-line. I especially like to wear them in winter with tights and boots and a tunic or sweater of some sort. In the summer, I pair them with a lightweight blouse that covers my rump and sandals. (The blouse covers my rump... not my sandals!) I rarely wear high heels anymore. I used to wear them with pencil skirts, but looking back, maybe it looked a little over the top!

Last edited by Nicci6Squirrels; 07-09-2015 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: I made it sound like I wear a blouse that covers my sandals. That's weird.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
When I was younger, my signature was pointy toed shoes: flats or kitten heeled slingbacks. I still like these but have added a few more shapes of shoe. I have a strong preference for comfy ones, I walk a 2-3 daily miles on my work commute (not including any incidental walking) and I also ride my bike too.

My go to look is a dress and a cardigan though. And in the past few seasons the dress shape has morphed into fit and flare.

A few years ago that outfit would have been a cardigan, nice top and a pencil skirt. Now I am obsessed with dresses. And for some reason black and neutral printed ones. They go with all cardigans, though my go to cardigans are in 3 shades: dark pink, black or grey. I also added in ankle boots as part of my go to look.

If I purged my wardrobe, I'd keep lots of dresses, cardigans in a few key colors. And a few pairs of jeans for when dresses or skirts aren't the right look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty