Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 10:43 PM

58 posts, read 51,276 times

Advertisements

So I just watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWN-bT8PexA

And I should be shocked, but I am really not. They take back used undergarments that have even been ripped and have stains on them and put them right back up on the shelf. Granted, the video is 5 years old but I HIGHLY doubt much has changed. Not sure if I will shop at VS again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 11:28 PM

412 posts, read 452,823 times
My understanding is at least some states prohibit the sale of underwear if it has been worn at all. You might want to check with your state.

Edit:

Egad, why I am posting in Fashion and Beauty.
Need more (or less) beer.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:08 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
There was a follow-up report last year that showed many major retailers still doing it, not just VS.

Vigilance all depends on the quality of employee who's at the register when someone returns underwear.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:35 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,728,557 times
Just because a store takes something back doesn't mean they resell it. We took back all kinds of things at Gap, but, we certainly didn't resell it. When I worked at Osco we took back medicine and you can bet we absolutely didn't resell medicine once it left the store.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:50 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Just because a store takes something back doesn't mean they resell it. We took back all kinds of things at Gap, but, we certainly didn't resell it. When I worked at Osco we took back medicine and you can bet we absolutely didn't resell medicine once it left the store.
Victoria's Secret, Wal-Mart Caught Selling Used Underwear

From 2014:

In the investigative report the team, equipped with hidden cameras, returned underwear that no longer had the tags but were marked with little black dots on the labels so they could be tracked. Most of the stores that had been caught in the past didn't put the dirty undies back out on the shelves again. Kudos to them. However, sales associates at Victoria's Secret, Marshalls, and Wal-Mart retagged the items and put them back out even though the Wal-Mart employee questioned whether they'd been worn before.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:51 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,588,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Victoria's Secret, Wal-Mart Caught Selling Used Underwear

From 2014:

In the investigative report the team, equipped with hidden cameras, returned underwear that no longer had the tags but were marked with little black dots on the labels so they could be tracked. Most of the stores that had been caught in the past didn't put the dirty undies back out on the shelves again. Kudos to them. However, sales associates at Victoria's Secret, Marshalls, and Wal-Mart retagged the items and put them back out even though the Wal-Mart employee questioned whether they'd been worn before.

Wal-Mart may definitely do it. I guess I should not buy underwear from there, but I did, and I got a pack that was already OPEN!

Old 11-13-2015, 05:39 PM

15,156 posts, read 27,854,532 times
I ALWAYS wash everything before I wear it (unless you've worked in retail in some capacity - I was a merchandiser, didn't work retail directly but saw things) - WASH clothes before you wear them.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:15 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,085,048 times
I always shop there, but I also always pre-wash new clothes

Old 11-14-2015, 12:14 AM

4,973 posts, read 3,333,849 times
Same here I also pre-wash new clothes, been doing that for decades.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:11 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,588,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Same here I also pre-wash new clothes, been doing that for decades.

I seldom pre-wash new clothes because of color-fastness concerns. Also, it's not always convenient; I would have to pay to wash my clothes one piece at a time or even go to the dry cleaner's for some garments. I guess pre-cleaning is a healthy hygienic habit, but it's not always a great option for people on a budget. To be honest, sometimes I buy new clothes in place of washing the ones I already have, because it's just more convenient. Plus, don't people normally try on clothes before they buy them? That means that I have to wear them unwashed to find out if they fit or not, right?

Last edited by krmb; 11-14-2015 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty