Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 12:18 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,037,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Someone sounds stuffy because they don't want to wear a specific shoe? Seriously, that is one of the silliest things I have read in a while.
It is close to saying you are easy because you wear shorts in public...
Well of course you are easy if you wear shorts in public, don't be silly. Might as well hang a sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 12:27 PM

4,236 posts, read 6,921,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is something effeminate about a guy over 20 or so wearing flip flops. It's effete. It's sissyish. Nothing to do with being gay, it's just not a masculine style. It's soft, it makes flippy floppy noises, just not very manly.

Now, will we get the dopey broads proudly proclaiming that their "he-men" "man's man" husbands and boyfriends wear flip flops all the time, while also lifting cars with their bare hands and siring 3-10 children? Time will tell. But I fear the worst.
Once again, I don't wear sandals and don't love the look. I agree with you that far, but I don't see it as non-masculine. And more importantly, who really cares if something is stereotypically 'masculine' or not?

Are you afraid to wear pink or be moved to tears at a movie or book or song? I'm just curious what sorts of things you avoid doing in the name of masculinity.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:14 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,078 times
I never used to wear sandals and not even shorts, more of a boot and blue jeans person. Now I would wear sandals all year round if it was not for the snow and cold. At minus 30C my toes get cold but as soon as I am in the house the shoes and socks come off. I don't wear flip flops cause they do not look comfortable. I wear hiking sandals and river type sandals and might get a pair without a thick sole for next year.

It is only on this thread and one on sandals that I learnt that men's feet were ugly. I did not know. I have seen off duty soldiers and firemen wearing flip flops so not sure it those guys were not masuline or not as I am not into guys. It was my wife who suggested to me to start wearing sandals and she was right. Decades ago I married a very smart lady and she has not lost her smarts. OP if you do not want to wear them don't. I do not understand all those who are so against men wearing them or sandals. The only reasons I have found other than the weather to not go without shoes or socks are cats and dogs and in fact with one dog wearing shorts was not a good idea as she liked to tug on the hems.

If no dress code wear what you like and feel comfortable with but do not be afraid to take suggestions or advise from others about what you wear or how you look. You can always ignore them if you want.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:26 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,056,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Once again, I don't wear sandals and don't love the look. I agree with you that far, but I don't see it as non-masculine. And more importantly, who really cares if something is stereotypically 'masculine' or not?

Are you afraid to wear pink or be moved to tears at a movie or book or song? I'm just curious what sorts of things you avoid doing in the name of masculinity.
I cried during Marley and Me. Does that qualify for not caring? However, to me flip flops seem inappropriately feminine to be worn by a man. Maybe it's not even feminine. Maybe it's more childish or something. Can't quite put my finger on it. Just seems unappealing and sissified.

However I think men who wear flip flops should still be served in bakeries and florist shops.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:48 AM

1,485 posts, read 956,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumbed View Post
Flip flops are GAY!

Real men wear shoes.
I didn't want to come out and say it because the PC police might ban me.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:13 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,921,313 times
also you shouldn't say it because that statement is moronic.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:12 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,243,012 times
I guess there's a butt for every seat, because I think a good pair of leather flip flops looks insanely hot with a pair of jeans or cargo shorts. My husband was always afraid to wear them too, but now he's hooked.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,129,032 times
Quote:
There is something effeminate about a guy over 20 or so wearing flip flops. It's effete. It's sissyish. Nothing to do with being gay, it's just not a masculine style. It's soft, it makes flippy floppy noises, just not very manly.

Now, will we get the dopey broads proudly proclaiming that their "he-men" "man's man" husbands and boyfriends wear flip flops all the time, while also lifting cars with their bare hands and siring 3-10 children? Time will tell. But I fear the worst.

I'll tell my sissy man husband and eighty year old dad you said that.

FWIW, flip flops and khakis are a southern gentleman thing. Something you as a yankee would never understand

Old 12-07-2015, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,372,800 times
Quote:

Come on down to the TaiKwonDo studio and see if you can keep up with all the effeminate men hanging out.

Head on over to the beach in my part of the world and see if you can hang with all the effeminate men. Extra points if you call them sissyish for wearing flip flops.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,372,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumbed View Post
Flip flops are GAY!

Real men wear shoes.
Funny, I have a brother that is gay. He only wears shoes. I don't know any of his friends that wear flip flops. They are all into stylish things like nice shoes. We have a lot of gay men that work here at the hospital and all of them seem to favor shoes, lots of shoes. You would almost think that they are women. Flip flops? Not so much. The fact is I don't know any gay men that wear them. It would seem that only heterosexual males wear them. I could be wrong now and its not like I am around my brother or his friends all the time. Maybe it is only a gay thing that they do in Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty