Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 04:21 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Same problem here. Most people don't get it because they are so surrounded by these fragrance all the time that they can't smell them or how strong they are to people like us. Someone once sprayed my husband in a department store with some perfume, and I actually had to give the shirt away. I washed it at least 5 times, even used vinegar, but it barely even diminished the smell. It even ruined some clothing that I washed with the shirt.
Yes, I added vinegar as well, made no difference at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree.

I work with the public and often am out and about. Maybe 2 times a year do I run across the "that lady/this guy has too much cologne on." And I get really close to lots of people.

2 out of 6000+ encounters with people...I think we are overstating the problem.

A way bigger issue is feet smell and cigarettes.
If only that were true. It's not the 'smell' that is an issue, it's the harsh chemicals used in manufacturing the majority of today's fragrances that is the issue. Before using chemicals, only natural oils were used and there was no problem; but it's less costly to use chemicals.

Anyone can make the claim it's all made up, that there is no problem.

If one wants proof v. speculation:

Scent of Danger: Are There Toxic Ingredients in Perfumes and Colognes? - Scientific American

Why you should say "No!" to fragrance : TreeHugger

There are many websites validating the dangers of 'chemicals' in fragrances: perfume/cologne, detergent/fabric softener, hair products, deodorant, body lotion, dish soap. . . and on and on. It's not only harmful ingesting the chemicals from breathing them, it's also placing these chemicals directly on your skin.

Those who use fragrances 'have a choice'; those who are adversely affected 'do not have a choice'.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:03 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azula View Post
Can't. I'm one of those "sensitive" people. Always was. That said, scented essential oils like peppermint or vanilla give me no trouble. I might have to start making my own perfumes. That gardenia bush is gonna come in handy next spring...
Using essential oils can be a lot of fun....and a bit obsessive. The problem is trying to find a fixative so that the fragrance lasts.

I don't like the smell of most men't colognes, so I started mixing my own. Now I've gotten lazy and just use some of the essential oils that I like (e.g. oil of basil) by themselves...of course, you have to put some cream or light oil on the skin before apply the essential oil straight from the bottle as some can irritate the skin if they come directly into contact with it, especially after a shower when your pores are open wide.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:59 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,142,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I am sorry to hear that you have an allergy. I know it is not your choice and you cannot help it, but why does the rest of the world have to bend over backwards for you? If you have a clear known allergy and all the students were advised of the severity and told not to wear it that is one thing. Otherwise what the heck. My attitude it is your allergy so you need to be aware of your environment and carry your epipen. The expectation what some people with allergies have is crazy. This is a common item that can be found in many fragrances, soaps, candles and even cleaners. The world can not ride itself of everything 1 person is allergic too. How would a high school student that does not have severe allergies really understand how serious the issue is unless the education is provided? There is only so much the world around you is going to be willing to modify for you and the rest is on you as someone with an allergy. It must be terrifying stepping out of your house each morning that severe of an allergy. I totally fell sorry with you in that respect. Too bad there is not anything more above and beyond just an epipen to deal with severe allergies.

Yeah it's ridiculous if you ask me...we live in a society where everyone wants to seem like a victim...and we've conditioned people to reflexively announce to the world just how they offended they are by whatever it is they choose to declare that they are a victim of. Over time you start noticing that every single fragrance thread turns into a smorgasbord of posters' testamonials about their aroma allergies, and how traumatized they are by fragrances and how the world needs to "just get their heads out of their ass and stop wearing fragrances in public" etc. Invariably you'll have a snowball effect of these hypersensitive body types dictating to everybody else that they need to stop wearing fragrances because everyone is "soooo" unaware of how bad they actually smell and the biohazard they create with their perfume/cologne wearing habits.

You do have the perfectly normal people who stay on topic and state that they just dont wear fragrances because fragrances dont appeal to them. And then you have these hypersensitive immune-system types, whose immune systems register everything as an "allergen" all but take over a fragrance thread. Honestly, as bad as some of these people claim to have it, I dont see how they even smell food or pump gas in their car without having their heads disintegrate. But they never create their own thread to groan about their fragrance allergies, rather, they use actual fragrance appreciation threads as a Trojan horse to declare to the world how offended and victimized they were by so and so who wore xyz fragrance. And how they suffer the fools who dont know how deadly their fragrance is; as if people arent already aware that other people may not like a particular fragrance they wear or that some people may have certain allergies to smells that they should manage.
And to symbolize how earth shattering it is to have their allergies flare up, they always drum up some melodramatic back story about how their face once melted because the proverbial "girl at the office" wore such and such fragrance....or how they went ahead and had their nose amputated after so and so walked by them and they caught a whiff of their fragrance. I mean every single fragrance appreciation thread turns into this. But oh well...just gotta live and let live, I always say. If I do wear fragrance I only buy fragrances that use natural ingredients, which tend to be expensive, but synthetic smells don't last as long, and change over the course of the day, in my experience

Last edited by soletaire; 12-21-2015 at 06:26 AM..

Old 12-21-2015, 06:09 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
Ladies please. Most women don't know that they over do the perfume. Less is more.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:33 AM

620 posts, read 639,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm sorry, but if someone I don't know feels a slight discomfort if they get too close to me in line at the grocery store, it just doesn't matter to me. At some point you just can't worry about bothering every single person on the planet.
Well, it's not always a "slight discomfort" ... my colleague has asthma attacks that seem to get worse each time one is triggered.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
Well, it's not always a "slight discomfort" ... my colleague has asthma attacks that seem to get worse each time one is triggered.
That's correct!

Some who wear fragrances are claiming they're the "victim!" by being told what they can and cannot do in public. It's not about 'rights', it's about being considerate of others and not expecting them to deal with their infirmities no matter what.

Kudos to those who have empathy and compassion.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:02 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
That's correct!

Some who wear fragrances are claiming they're the "victim!" by being told what they can and cannot do in public. It's not about 'rights', it's about being considerate of others and not expecting them to deal with their infirmities no matter what.

Kudos to those who have empathy and compassion.
Wow.
17 years in medicine, 70,000+ patients...and not one perfume-induced asthma attack or case of anaphylaxis amongst them.

Man, I have been there when someone's fragrance is enough to make your eyes water, your head swim, and give you a headache. Most of my issue with people wearing perfume is that I don't like the way it smells. I find most fragrances don't smell very good.

There is no way that I am saying it is impossible to have a severe reaction to perfumes/the chemicals contained within them. Of course it could happen. I totally believe that a scent can get trapped into clothes and never come out.
But I have a hard time believing that a light spritz that is only detectable from a foot away causes any significant medical issues 99% of the time to a bystander who is at a socially acceptable distance from you. God knows what havoc it is creating on the wearer of the perfume, but that's their business.

I do think that people really should be aware of what they're slathering all over their body. The chemicals found in many cosmetics and lotions can wreak havoc in the long run.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
If your colleague is so sensitive that he/she can't stand behind someone in a check out line who put some perfume on six hours ago (in a moderate amount) without having an asthma attack, then I'm sorry - but this is a severe disability and I don't know how he/she manages to work or go out anywhere. I'm sorry, but I don't feel a moral obligation to forego a modest amount of fragrance just in case I might might might be standing in front of someone in a line six hours later who is so incredibly hypersensitive to a whiff of perfume if they get too close to a stranger who put some perfume that morning.

The other day I was walking around our neighborhood on a beautiful, sunny, windy day. Occasionally I would get a whiff of fabric softener from a house where the dryer must have been running. If your friend is so sensitive, that means she probably can't even take a walk outside through a neighborhood on a windy weekend day.

I'm sorry, but I can't accommodate every single rare and extreme disability. I will reasonably and courteously accommodate those I can but I can't guarantee them a carefree existence.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:31 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,777 times
I've worn the same fragrance everyday for the last 10+ years... but they recently changed the perfume and it doesn't last. I'm on the hunt for a new fragrance, so I've been wearing new scents each day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty