Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:47 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,536,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
There is a time and place for everything...New Year's party hell yeah!!! Church on Sunday??? NO!!!
That's my feeling. A time and a place for everything.

On skirt lengths, if you are over 50 - or what ever arbitrary age has been selected, and you are fit and at your right weight, I see nothing wrong with wearing a skirt that is an inch or two above the knee.
If you have good legs, why not?

I am not referencing "mid thigh" mini skirts. I wore those as a teenager.

However, my weight is proportionate to height, and I am a former dancer, and I am petite, Shorter skirts look good on me. So I wear them. A lot.

A little bit of sexy is OK if you have the body for it. However, a mid thigh mini skirt, a leopard top with a plunging neck line, 5 inch heels, and heavy make up - don't look good on anyone.
Regardless of age, height or weight.

It's more of a taste and common sense thing, than a hard and fast age rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 11:10 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,875,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It's because society feels that womens bodies are public property. And as such they think they have a say in how they dress, or even a right to comment on it, sometimes directly to the person. And women feel just as entitled to be a part of the conversation which just proves show societal the problem is.
/thread

Old 01-26-2016, 12:10 PM

17 posts, read 13,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appzee View Post
Do you think for a woman that is 40+ it is okay to wear tight clothes or dresses/skirts that say are above the knee? What about see-through tops? I was at the mall the other day and saw a woman that looked 40-something and she had a skirt well above the knees and a top that had significant cleavage and thought those should be reserved for the younger girls.
The fact that you are asking this question makes me wonder where you live... as I wish women would at least dress like this where I live.
I've encountered women wearing a bikini and a sarong over it at the Walmart doing their shopping... also at the airport and the best one when my jaw dropped to my knee was when I saw one going inside a church...
Here we also have a three breasted woman walking several men in a leach while she wears a dominatrix suit and they are acting like dogs...
I can only dream of getting out of here...

Old 01-26-2016, 12:32 PM

151 posts, read 190,056 times
I think it is okay for anyone to wear whatever they want, within reason. Age doesn't matter.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:47 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,796,395 times
We're moving in the world alongside others... that's it. No one should give a rip what some random stranger thinks about what we've chosen to wear on any given day. Let's dress ourselves however we see fit. I have no say as to what clothes someone should or shouldn't wear or what age is the appropriate "cut off date." Whatever, whatever. Do whatcha want.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:15 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,664,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appzee View Post
Do you think for a woman that is 40+ it is okay to wear tight clothes or dresses/skirts that say are above the knee? What about see-through tops? I was at the mall the other day and saw a woman that looked 40-something and she had a skirt well above the knees and a top that had significant cleavage and thought those should be reserved for the younger girls.
Amy Adams (41) says hi.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:13 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,851,961 times
We all know it's "okay" (that's deep) for people to dress as they want.

And Madonna's then-husband Guy Ritchie had the right to comment that she looked like a granny who's past it onstage--and that was years ago.

You pay for your thrills.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:05 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,327,540 times
Personally, I don't think so. I think that once a woman reaches 45 she should stop wearing tight clothing, short dresses, and short skirts. Short shorts (that aren't super tight) are absolutely fine.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:05 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,355,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It's because society feels that womens bodies are public property. And as such they think they have a say in how they dress, or even a right to comment on it, sometimes directly to the person. And women feel just as entitled to be a part of the conversation which just proves show societal the problem is.

The handful of threads that pop up about men, in terms of facial hair or dressing or whatever, are always carefully couched in terms of preference. "I prefer men who are clean shaven" or "I like a t shirt and jeans" while the wording on threads about women, is what the should or shouldn't be doing. It is subtle but telling.
It is VERY telling. People wonder why feminism exists. Its because of this kind of crap. I am going to damn well dress how I want at any age, knowing I will be judged, knowing I am prey to a whole set of standards men never even think about and would laugh in the face of if they were ever imposed on them. Its garbage and I will have no truck with it.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times
I am not 40 yet! I sometimes wear a short skirt or something form fitting, and i am well aware some people will make a judgement on that based on my size. I will continue to wear what I feel comfortable in and is appropriate for the ocassion well into my old age!

What is not appropriate at any age in public? Skirts that are so short I can see your crotch or tops that are so low cut your breasts are about to fall out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty