Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 07:24 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
MIDDLE SCHOOL, not high school.
According to her mother, she is in high school. At age 13 she is too old for middle school, nor do middle schools usually hold 'dances'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 07:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What fictional story am I telling?
Quote:
Or maybe when she found out they weren't interested, she thought it was because of the fit, and suggested spans for a better look. They were taking pictures of the dress, so that might have implied to the sales associate that they liked the dress. She was just trying to make a sale and come up with suggestions that might convince them to buy the dress.
Quote:
Then when they say no to buying the dress the daughter is trying on and they're taking pictures of, the sales associate is going to find out why. Her job is sales, she wants them to buy the dress. Do they not like the way it looks? Spanx can help with that...
Quote:

A sales associate meantioned spanx in front of a 13 year old.....The woman was just doing her job.
As has been mentioned repeatedly. Mom took exception to the fact that after they said "no thank you" to the offer of spanx. The sales clerk argued with them, while they were trying to leave, and made disparaging remarks about the childs body.

"I told you that she was just fine without SPANX. You continued to argue with me."

“She was twirling around in it, and the sales lady came in and said, ‘she needs Spanx for that’. I said, ‘no, no, she’s good just like she is’, and she kind of grabbed her stomach and said some things that are not very kind,"

"“If it was just a pushy sales person, it wouldn’t have even been an issue. I would have just said no, that’s okay we’re not buying this dress. It’s fine, and let it go. It was the repeated telling me how imperfect my child was when this is how God made her."

Mother voices concern over clerk’s comment on daughter’s dress | KSN-TV

"I told Lexi to go ahead and go change,” she said. “I told the sales lady that my daughter is perfect just how she is. This is how God made her, and she looked beautiful. We were just having fun. Again, she said some not-so-nice things about her body, her body type. I told her, ‘I disagree with you. "

Old 01-29-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
According to her mother, she is in high school. At age 13 she is too old for middle school, nor do middle schools usually hold 'dances'.
1. Middle schools do hold dances.
2. Most kids start high school at 14 and finish at 18, and this particular 13 yo is in 7th grade.

"Megan Naramore Harris was shopping with her daughter, Lexi, for a dress Lexi could wear to an upcoming middle school formal. "

Mom Fights Back After Dillard's Employee Says Her Daughter Should Wear Spanx : People.com

Old 01-29-2016, 07:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
It is the teenage version of dress up. And no one said she was uncomfortable, she had just picked a more age appropriate dress and mom asked her daughter to "humor" her. My daughter has done the same for me many times.

And once more, the mother wasn't mad at the suggestion of spanx, she was mad that after they politely said "no thanks" the sales clerk insisted on arguing with the mother, in front of the daughter, and made rude and disparaging remarks about the teens body.
So, the mother took the daughter out to find a formal gown for a high school dance - even though her daughter is only 13, and picked out a VERY adult, sexy gown that shows off every curve of an ADULT woman's body - and wanted her daughter to try it on and pose for mommy outside a dressing room in a public retail store, so mommy could take a photo of her 13-year-old wearing a VERY adult sexy gown and post it on Facebook and make that photo PUBLIC...

that's like - really creepy. I mean seriously creepy. And mommy says they were just "having fun."

And she's upset because the clerk suggested Spanx? Seriously? The woman needs to re-think her priorities.

In addition - they were wasting the clerk's time if they were only "having fun." They should be grateful the manager didn't ask them to buy something or leave.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
So, the mother took the daughter out to find a formal gown for a high school dance
Middle school. Multiple links since the OP have been provided that show the 13 yo, who is home schooled in 7th grade, wanted a dress for a MIDDLE SCHOOL formal.

Quote:
- even though her daughter is only 13, and picked out a VERY adult, sexy gown that shows off every curve of an ADULT woman's body - and wanted her daughter to try it on and pose for mommy outside a dressing room in a public retail store, so mommy could take a photo of her 13-year-old wearing a VERY adult sexy gown and post it on Facebook and make that photo PUBLIC...

that's like - really creepy. I mean seriously creepy. And mommy says they were just "having fun."
The daughter felt empowered, please see link in above post.

Quote:
And she's upset because the clerk suggested Spanx? Seriously? The woman needs to re-think her priorities.

In addition - they were wasting the clerk's time if they were only "having fun." They should be grateful the manager didn't ask them to buy something or leave.
That is not why she is mad, she is mad that the clerk grabbed at her daughters midsection and made insulting remarks about her body after they said "no thanks" to the spanx suggestion.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:45 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Congratulations. So excited for you.

Exactly. 10th grade is the lowest year in a lot of high schools around here. I guess it varies across the country. A 13 year old 9th grader is a middle schooler to me. But it really doesn't matter.

No doubt. I really think women can really be hard on other women. There is no rule that says you have to hide a pudgy belly with spanx to wear that dress or sleeves to hide those arms. Absolutely none. If her high school sweetheart and future husband were to see her exactly as presented in that dress and is attracted to her some of you act as if it is your sworn duty to step in and intervene because you believe she can't look good or be attractive that way.
And in our school system, Middle School is 4th, 5th, and 6th grade. Quite a difference. 7th & 8th are Junior High.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I had regular dances in middle school. My cousin had a formal prom in middle school. Not all schools are the same.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:15 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
As has been mentioned repeatedly. Mom took exception to the fact that after they said "no thank you" to the offer of spanx. The sales clerk argued with them, while they were trying to leave, and made disparaging remarks about the childs body.

"I told you that she was just fine without SPANX. You continued to argue with me."

“She was twirling around in it, and the sales lady came in and said, ‘she needs Spanx for that’. I said, ‘no, no, she’s good just like she is’, and she kind of grabbed her stomach and said some things that are not very kind,"

"“If it was just a pushy sales person, it wouldn’t have even been an issue. I would have just said no, that’s okay we’re not buying this dress. It’s fine, and let it go. It was the repeated telling me how imperfect my child was when this is how God made her."

Mother voices concern over clerk’s comment on daughter’s dress | KSN-TV

"I told Lexi to go ahead and go change,” she said. “I told the sales lady that my daughter is perfect just how she is. This is how God made her, and she looked beautiful. We were just having fun. Again, she said some not-so-nice things about her body, her body type. I told her, ‘I disagree with you. "
I find this all very questionable. The sales women grabbed a 13 year olds midsection and the mom doesn't meantion that in her initial rant?

Old 01-29-2016, 09:42 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
The so called "fat shaming" didn't start until the mom exposed her poor kid on facebook.

The store person was just trying to be helpful, making a girl look pretty.
That's what I think. Sales women in formal departments, bridal departments and lingerie departments are trained to help customers to look their best.

Many times they are dedicated professionals. We looked at 6 or 7 stores for my daughter's prom and homecoming dress. We valued the feed back.

Very tight, spandex dresses should really be avoided by all but the most slender of women. The girl was not just "curvy" - she had rolls and a matronly figure.

I think the sales woman was being gentle in suggesting Spanx - a very light contour garment, used by women who are at their right weight who just want a little smoothing.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:45 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,837 times
Quote:
Middle school. Multiple links since the OP have been provided that show the 13 yo, who is home schooled in 7th grade, wanted a dress for a MIDDLE SCHOOL formal.

The daughter felt empowered, please see link in above post.

That is not why she is mad, she is mad that the clerk grabbed at her daughters midsection and made insulting remarks about her body after they said "no thanks" to the spanx suggestion.
1. So she's home schooled but she's going to a formal and needs to try on dresses with that level of sophistication?

2. She felt empowered? Is that a trump card or something?

3. You honestly think the clerk took a handful of the girl's stomach and proceeded to verbally shame her when she's a customer service rep?

Are you the mom or daughter? I mean seriously; you seem to know all these extra details no one else does. I think the mom is way over the top and embellished this whole story for attention. Unfortunately, it's being played into. Why didn't the mom mention the "midsection grab" in her first rant? Isn't that more serious than all other details of this story? That could technically be spun as assault. If some random jackass grabbed my stomach, there's a 99% chance I would hit them in the face, male or female. Especially if it was one of my children too?! Oh man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty