Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 03:28 PM

274 posts, read 253,030 times

Advertisements

I miss the fedora. I'm old enough to remember when my dad went to work wearing one. My grandfather never went outside without one. Ever.

I bought one back in the 1980s. I was walking through Sears (I KNOW, right?) and saw one that looked exactly like one that Grandpa had, charcoal-gray felt, dark gray band with a tastefully- sized red feather, and a nice, wide snap brim. I had nothing to wear it with, but I bought it anyway. I wore it with a Hawaiian shirt;it became my "party animal uniform". I received many complements on the hat. It did go with the one suit I owned, but I only wore the suit for occasions, and unfortunately the demise of the men's hat caused the demise of the men's hat check. A gentleman does not wear his hat indoors, but what is he supposed to do with it while mingling?

Now the fedora has been appropriated by a sub-class of a-holes known as "hipsters", who wear it as an "ironic" fashion statement, if I remember what I read correctly. If I wear my fedora, I will be perceived as a pathetic old guy desperately grasping for continued social relevance. If I don't wear it, I will definitely be a pathetic old guy with a sunburned scalp. Also, the a-holes will have won. And I hate ball caps, they don't fit me right.

Not sure what to do. And the lack of hat check facilities is still a problem. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 03:42 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
I wear fedoras, and other types of hats, when I dress up. They really add polish to an outfit! I say, wear what you want! A quality felt hat is a classy statement. Go for it! Be your own person, who cares about fads? Do it your way, and enjoy.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:30 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,196,697 times
I like those. I am one of the youngsters on the site. Not 30 yet. But my taste can be a bit dated sometimes.

Like watching films, I love a man in a fedora, with some nice facial hair. I was never one who believe in "In-style." I wear what I find cute, long as it doesn't look too childish.

misterjimmy If you wanna wear your fedora, by all means wear it. Sometimes some old stuff comes back in style again (for those who care about trends), because people start bringing them to everyone's attention again by wearing them.

Like recently, some women and younger people I live around didn't know what a bustier, or corset, was, and I showed them some I wore, and they found them very cute.

I also liked some of the shirts women wore in older days. The Victorian looking ruffle shirts, like this woman is wearing.
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/silve...48307_1000.png
I don't care if that's in-style or considered old. I love them.

Last edited by HappyRain; 05-10-2016 at 05:39 PM..

Old 05-10-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
I like those. I am one of the youngsters on the site. Not 30 yet. But my taste can be a bit dated sometimes.

Like watching films, I love a man in a fedora, with some nice facial hair. I was never one who believe in "In-style." I wear what I find cute, long as it doesn't look too childish.

misterjimmy If you wanna wear your fedora, by all means wear it. Sometimes some old stuff comes back in style again (for those who care about trends), because people start bringing them to everyone's attention again by wearing them.

Like recently, some women and younger people I live around didn't know what a bustier, or corset, was, and I showed them some I wore, and they found them very cute.

I also liked some of the shirts women wore in older days. The Victorian looking ruffle shirts, like this woman is wearing.
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/silve...48307_1000.png
I don't care if that's in-style or considered old. I love them.
Victorian women's clothing was very big on extra fabric; lots of pleats, ruffles, lace, decorative stitching. Clothing became much simpler after that in part because over time, no one could afford the volumes of fabric it took to make a skirt or dress or blouse. Also, the labor it cost to make the lace or to stitch all the pleats and ruffles became unaffordable. That's why most clothing that has embroidery on it these days is done in China.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:03 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,196,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Victorian women's clothing was very big on extra fabric; lots of pleats, ruffles, lace, decorative stitching. Clothing became much simpler after that in part because over time, no one could afford the volumes of fabric it took to make a skirt or dress or blouse. Also, the labor it cost to make the lace or to stitch all the pleats and ruffles became unaffordable. That's why most clothing that has embroidery on it these days is done in China.
I bought some shirts like look a bit like the picture. I have 1 white, and 1 tan. The tan is my favorite as it contrasts my skin tone a bit. BUT, the one thing I hate are the buttons. They're very flimsy, and seems like I could end up popping them off.

So, I have been thinking if it was possible to take the shirt someplace and have some changes done for better / more secure buttons. And the material looks different. The lady in the pic seems to have her blouse made from a softer material.

Here's what I have.
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/silve...48578_1000.png
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/silve...52892_1000.png

Old 05-10-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
I bought some shirts like look a bit like the picture. I have 1 white, and 1 tan. The tan is my favorite as it contrasts my skin tone a bit. BUT, the one thing I hate are the buttons. They're very flimsy, and seems like I could end up popping them off.

So, I have been thinking if it was possible to take the shirt someplace and have some changes done for better / more secure buttons. And the material looks different. The lady in the pic seems to have her blouse made from a softer material.

Here's what I have.
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/silve...48578_1000.png
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/silve...52892_1000.png
Wow, very nice. Couldn't you go to a button store, and find some buttons the right size, and change them out yourself?

Old 05-10-2016, 08:13 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,293,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjimmy View Post
Now the fedora has been appropriated by a sub-class of a-holes known as "hipsters", who wear it as an "ironic" fashion statement, if I remember what I read correctly. If I wear my fedora, I will be perceived as a pathetic old guy desperately grasping for continued social relevance.
Never heard of it being "ironic" just on trend.

Perceived as pathetically grasping...what the what?

Hipsters are a-holes?

Appropriated? Many fashions come in and out of popularity.

I wear a fedora. I'm a lady and I'm by nobody's definition a hipster. I wear what I want to wear. Not sure why you want to let people you dislike dictate what you are allowed to wear, and feel good in.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:56 AM

19,732 posts, read 20,276,616 times
Ah, the fedora.. It's one of those things that reveals exactly who you are when worn. Fortunately (or unfortunately.. ) it's pretty obvious who's trying too hard, vs who actually has style. Good luck

Old 05-11-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
Never heard of it being "ironic" just on trend.

Perceived as pathetically grasping...what the what?

Hipsters are a-holes?

Appropriated? Many fashions come in and out of popularity.

I wear a fedora. I'm a lady and I'm by nobody's definition a hipster. I wear what I want to wear. Not sure why you want to let people you dislike dictate what you are allowed to wear, and feel good in.
I was wondering about the bolded, too. I think the OP is way overthinking the whole thing. He should create his own style and wear what he wants. Maybe that's easier for women to do; women kind of have more fashion leeway. The OP may feel that at his age, if he were to wear a fedora on his well-dressed days, he might be mistaken for Ward Cleaver or the dad in the Father Knows Best show. Personally, I'm really glad nice hats are still being manufactured. There's a hat store in my town the OP might really enjoy; it carries very high-end men's hats. There's still a market for that.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-11-2016 at 11:22 AM..

Old 05-11-2016, 11:42 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
I own a fedora and a pageboy and a newsboy hat and a straw for the summer and I certainly do enjoy them and wearing them . Who cares what people say , do they pay your bills ? heck no so wear what you want .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty