Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 04:30 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So yesterday I went to a salon to get my eyebrows lightened. I thought they would do it since it's the biggest salon in this small city I moved to. I'm not going for the bleached eyebrows look, simply get them to be light brown to match my ombre hair. I have naturally black eyebrows and they don't match my hair at all. It makes my features harsher than normal.

Hence, I asked this beautician if there is a way to get them lightened there. She was like: Do you want to use bleach or what do you want to use?" I wanted to tell her, "Why are you asking me? I don't know! It's your job, not mine". She started laughing at me like I was some lunatic asking a completely ludicrous question.

She asked her colleague who told me: "I know it's a trend Kim Kardashian and others have set, but we don't do it here", after I had specifically told her I did not want blonde/white eyebrows, I wanted to get them a shade lighter to match my hair! She kept laughing. I was also slightly offended that she'd assume that I came to the salon to change my eyebrows because Kim Kardashian set the so-called trend. Like I actually have any interest in what Kim Kardashian does with her eyebrows. I had no clue she even bleached her brows, it's of little interest to me.

This beautician was clearly clueless, but I am wondering, is there a way to lighten black eyebrows to match golden brown hair?

Thanks!

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 05-08-2016 at 04:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 06:28 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Find a different salon.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:57 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Well, for goodness sake don't have bleach anywhere near your eyes!

Old 05-08-2016, 10:12 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Do you have a benefit salon, standalone or in a Macy's or Ulta? Pretty sure they lighten brows.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:18 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
You can use Sally Hanson creme bleach, the one for faces, on your brows. Be careful not to get it in your eyes...you can do one brow at a time and keep the other eye shut until you're done if you're afraid it will drip, or get a pair of small swim goggles and wear them while you use it. Leave it on for less time than the package says. You can always reapply to lighten more if you need to.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You can use Sally Hanson creme bleach, the one for faces, on your brows. Be careful not to get it in your eyes...you can do one brow at a time and keep the other eye shut until you're done if you're afraid it will drip, or get a pair of small swim goggles and wear them while you use it. Leave it on for less time than the package says. You can always reapply to lighten more if you need to.
Yeah, I tried. It didn't work

Old 05-09-2016, 04:25 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Maybe you didn't leave it on long enough. The darker your hair is, the longer it takes to bleach. You could also try a boxed hair color formulated for dark hair...just mix a tiny bit of color and developer and apply it with a cotton swab. The box always says not to use it on eyebrows but I've done it for years. Usually you want a shade that's a couple shades darker than your hair color.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Maybe you didn't leave it on long enough. The darker your hair is, the longer it takes to bleach. You could also try a boxed hair color formulated for dark hair...just mix a tiny bit of color and developer and apply it with a cotton swab. The box always says not to use it on eyebrows but I've done it for years. Usually you want a shade that's a couple shades darker than your hair color.
I left it for about 10 minutes which I think is already too long because it started stinging a bit.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:12 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
Cant believe they laughed at you. I even know what you want and I don't do hair. I know it can be done, find a new salon. Maybe call ahead of time to see if they can do that

Old 05-09-2016, 05:21 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, for goodness sake don't have bleach anywhere near your eyes!
Exactly! Why risk something so dangerous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty