Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:26 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Both of those smells drive me nuts, together or apart. It's just so offensive.
Couldnt agree more.. hate them both.. and believe it or not there are as much harmful chemicals in perfumes as in cigarettes.. pity they dont put warning on perfume bottles yet..... time will tell. http://intentblog.com/perfume-pollut...garette-smoke/
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...chemicals.aspx

Please read and learn... I loved perfume myself for many years.. even sprayed my bed when I put on clean sheets.... silly fool..... so think about all perfumed products, fabric conditioners are one of the worst with all the synthetic perfumes.. especially for babies and children who dont have a fully matured immune system... very dangerous..
http://allnaturalbeauty.us/chemicals...s_jrussell.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 08:29 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieLyons View Post
I agree. The smoke also sticks to the clothing. I can always smell when someone smokes, messes with my allergies and the smoke (even from vaping) messes with my asthma.
How can vapor mess with your asthma? It dissipates within a second or less, it is vapor, there is no tobacco in it and many don't have nicotine either.
I would rather smell cigarette smoke than fragrance put on to attempt to cover body odor from not bathing.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:40 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,648 times
Cigarette smell is horrible.

Perfume smell is horrible.

Put them together it it's hell.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:01 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How can vapor mess with your asthma? It dissipates within a second or less, it is vapor, there is no tobacco in it and many don't have nicotine either.
I would rather smell cigarette smoke than fragrance put on to attempt to cover body odor from not bathing.
Never smoked and dont know much about these vape ciggies.. but read this ..

So far, evidence suggests that e-cigarettes may be safer than regular cigarettes. Since nothing is burned in the process, e-cig vapour lacks the tar and carbon monoxide found in cigarette smoke. Most of the 7,000 chemicals in cigarette smoke are also missing from e-cig vapor. However, e-cigarette users do inhale chemicals that are known to be toxic and, in some cases, carcinogenic. When heated, ingredients in the nicotine solution can turn into formaldehyde, which is known to cause cancer. Newer e-cigs allow users to adjust the temperature to a point where the formaldehyde level can be as high — or even higher — than in traditional cigarettes. Studies have also found that the vapor can include chemicals released by the devices themselves. These include silicate particles, aluminum, lead and tin.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:31 AM

420 posts, read 704,555 times
It is a pretty tacky smell.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:36 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
They each have their own smell, putting them together is just that. No worse IMO.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:52 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieLyons View Post
I agree. The smoke also sticks to the clothing. I can always smell when someone smokes, messes with my allergies and the smoke (even from vaping) messes with my asthma.
And so do fragrances. A friend wanted a hug and she was wearing her toxic waste perfume. . . after I got home I had to throw my clothes in the wash to get rid of the stench. Also will transfer to your skin . . only way to get rid of it is to take a shower and wash your hair.

I remember a gal at work who said she wore perfume because her boyfriend loves it - fine, then wear it when you're with him!

Old 05-21-2016, 11:02 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It seems women that smokes often uses very strong perfumes too. They don't cancel each other! They make perfumes smell awful.
Yes. I had a co-worker who wore lots of perfume. In those days, people were allowed to smoke at their desks and she was only a few feet away. The combination of smoke smell and overpowering perfume was nauseating.

She was the nicest, sweetest person you could ever hope to work with and I know she didn't mean harm to anyone, but...

I went to HR and told him the smell was making me sick (true) and that I had to have every outfit dry cleaned after one wearing, so it was costing me money too.

Their solution was to get her a smokeless ashtray. Typical HR-missing-the-point. Those things don't really work.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:06 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
They each have their own smell, putting them together is just that. No worse IMO.
I think women spray themselves with perfume to hind the smell of smoking on them. It doesnt cut the smell. I have had lots of women, nice looking women pass me in the supermarket, and a second later, that stink hits you. I wouldnt get near these women. They smoke they dont smell the stink, or the addiction has them and they just dont care. A beautiful woman smoking, is not the most attractive thing to see. But to each his / her own. They pair up and their troubles are over.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:11 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yes. I had a co-worker who wore lots of perfume. In those days, people were allowed to smoke at their desks and she was only a few feet away. The combination of smoke smell and overpowering perfume was nauseating.

She was the nicest, sweetest person you could ever hope to work with and I know she didn't mean harm to anyone, but...

I went to HR and told him the smell was making me sick (true) and that I had to have every outfit dry cleaned after one wearing, so it was costing me money too.

Their solution was to get her a smokeless ashtray. Typical HR-missing-the-point. Those things don't really work.
Back in the 80s I literally begged HR to develop and implement a 'no-fragrance' policy; they looked at me as though I'd just landed from Mars.

Twenty years later I approached HR at another job and was given the deer-in-the-headlights response. Finally, the HR gal said, "Well, it sounds like you are the one with a problem, I suggest you talk to anyone who is wearing perfume and ask if they'll stop wearing it."

Now here's the kicker: this same HR person who said that I had a problem - when her 'pet' said perfume made her sick, the HR gal immediately sent out an all-employee e-mail asking people to refrain from wearing perfume/cologne. Amazing!! Ah well, at least it helped to keep the cloud of toxic stench out of the office!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty