Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 03:22 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

If you aren't already, you should post in and read the caregiving thread, I'd imagine there are tips and support there that may be of help personally - best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 03:37 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
You only have the one day on Friday to shop for a dress...and shoes...and possibly spanx/bra?

I would probably skip the thrift stores then just because, in my experience, you need to hunt for stuff. I mean, t shirts and shorts are easy enough to find, but I feel like a dress that fits and is appropriate for the occasion would be harder to find, and you are on a very tight timeline. I would just go straight to whatever big box chain you have near you...Ross, Dillards, Marshalls/TJ Maxx, etc. etc. I would also add David's Bridal to that list. They don't just sell wedding dresses, and they have a lot of stock in a wide range of sizes, and reasonable prices that are comparable to other big box chains.

If the invite says "formal", but not "black tie", I would AVOID any kind of formal gown or floor length dress.

Also, DON'T wear white.

Other than that, there are no hard and fast rules. Wearing black is fine.

Most cocktail dresses should be fine...knee length, or, if you want to be more on the conservative side, look for tea length (below the knee to calf length). If you don't have time to shop for spanx, I would just go for a dress that's more flowy, rather than form fitting/body skimming:

Example 1: Illusion Lace Knee-Length Cap Sleeve Dress - Davids Bridal
Example 2: 3/4 Sleeved Short Dress with Patterned Skirt - Davids Bridal
Example 3: 3/4 Sleeve Short Jersey Dress with Shirred Waist - Davids Bridal

One thing I want to point out about Example 2 and 3 above: these dresses are not cut or sheer in certain sections, so that you would require a special bra (e.g. a strapless bra, one-shoulder bra, halter/racer back bra). That's a little detail that will cut down on unnecessary complications when you're pressed for time.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:50 PM

32,939 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Do you have a tape measure. If you do, measure yourself before you go. Maybe you can get some idea of your size from charts online. If you'll be wearing a tank top and shorts, try the dress on over them in the aisle. I've tried on blouses over a tank and full skirts over shorts when I didn't have time for a changing room.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:07 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
You only have the one day on Friday to shop for a dress...and shoes...and possibly spanx/bra?

I would probably skip the thrift stores then just because, in my experience, you need to hunt for stuff. I mean, t shirts and shorts are easy enough to find, but I feel like a dress that fits and is appropriate for the occasion would be harder to find, and you are on a very tight timeline. I would just go straight to whatever big box chain you have near you...Ross, Dillards, Marshalls/TJ Maxx, etc. etc. I would also add David's Bridal to that list. They don't just sell wedding dresses, and they have a lot of stock in a wide range of sizes, and reasonable prices that are comparable to other big box chains.

If the invite says "formal", but not "black tie", I would AVOID any kind of formal gown or floor length dress.

Also, DON'T wear white.

Other than that, there are no hard and fast rules. Wearing black is fine.

Most cocktail dresses should be fine...knee length, or, if you want to be more on the conservative side, look for tea length (below the knee to calf length). If you don't have time to shop for spanx, I would just go for a dress that's more flowy, rather than form fitting/body skimming:

Example 1: Illusion Lace Knee-Length Cap Sleeve Dress - Davids Bridal
Example 2: 3/4 Sleeved Short Dress with Patterned Skirt - Davids Bridal
Example 3: 3/4 Sleeve Short Jersey Dress with Shirred Waist - Davids Bridal

One thing I want to point out about Example 2 and 3 above: these dresses are not cut or sheer in certain sections, so that you would require a special bra (e.g. a strapless bra, one-shoulder bra, halter/racer back bra). That's a little detail that will cut down on unnecessary complications when you're pressed for time.
Hi & thank you! I liked example #1 the best & there is a Davids Bridal about 15 minutes from home!

Hmmm; everyone is talking about spanx. It sounds...really...hot. But not in the good way...so it must

work pretty well?

Old 07-21-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Do you have a tape measure. If you do, measure yourself before you go. Maybe you can get some idea of your size from charts online. If you'll be wearing a tank top and shorts, try the dress on over them in the aisle. I've tried on blouses over a tank and full skirts over shorts when I didn't have time for a changing room.
Great idea!

Wow; I'm so glad I posted this now!

Old 07-21-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
If you aren't already, you should post in and read the caregiving thread, I'd imagine there are tips and support there that may be of help personally - best of luck.
Hi & thank you! Yes I "lurk" alot on the Caregiving sub but I haven't posted there...I don't think.

Most posters there are caring for a spouse or parent it seems.

Most posters on the parenting/special needs sub are talking/asking about schools...

Maybe there are other people like me out there & they are all thinking the same thing; that there is nobody

"out there" like them & I should just take the plunge & post a thread

Old 07-21-2016, 04:23 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Thank you; thats good info. I usually avoid taking him into dressing rooms out of consideration of the

other women as he is 5'9" & almost 200lbs; he does not look like a 12 year old & I'm afraid he will scare

somebody. I also had an unfortunate incident at Dillards 6 years ago where he flung the door open & bolted.

(It's kind of funny NOW but it was NOT at the time.)

Definitley going to go the thrift store route.

You can get a latch for doors that will slow him down if he wants to bolt. My mom uses this one: https://www.corporatetravelsafety.co...door-lock.html so that my dad (who has dementia) can't bolt out of the family restroom when they're at the store. It would only work if there were regular doors on the fitting rooms. She uses it to contain him when they go to the doctor's office too, since otherwise he will visit the patients in the other exam rooms.

Some of the thrift stores I go to like the Goodwill just have a row of unisex fitting rooms. It would definitely be possible to take your son into a fitting room like that, since they're intended to be used by persons of either gender.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Hi & thank you! I liked example #1 the best & there is a Davids Bridal about 15 minutes from home!

Hmmm; everyone is talking about spanx. It sounds...really...hot. But not in the good way...so it must

work pretty well?
IMHO, Spanx or similar garments are not really that hot and they do smooth out the "lumps & bumps" very well.

Quote:
Hi & thank you! Yes I "lurk" alot on the Caregiving sub but I haven't posted there...I don't think.

Most posters there are caring for a spouse or parent it seems.

Most posters on the parenting/special needs sub are talking/asking about schools...

Maybe there are other people like me out there & they are all thinking the same thing; that there is nobody

"out there" like them & I should just take the plunge & post a thread
Yes, please post on the Caregivers forum if you have questions. While most people are caring for parents or spouses there are many very knowledgeable people who may have the perfect solution to the problem or question that you have asked.

And there are also people like me, a retired special education teacher who is now a full time caregiver, who could offer suggestions based on a wide variety of life experiences.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:54 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
If you decide to go to Davids, you definitely want to have your measurements. Bridal wear is notorious for running sometimes 2 or more sizes small.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you decide to go to Davids, you definitely want to have your measurements. Bridal wear is notorious for running sometimes 2 or more sizes small.
Oh boy; thank you for the warning! I mentioned I lost 10 lbs & would have been depressed if I went in there to find out I was still big(ger)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty