Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 11:07 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,022,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Like previously mentioned, it's not proper to wear the actual flag. I see nothing wrong with wearing clothing with images of the flag.

I think you're just noticing a combination of those three things. It's nothing new. You should've seen what was popular during the Bicentennial.
Oh GAWD I will never forget that year , I was 14 years old and my dad was Potentate of the local Shriner's group . That burned me out on Red White and Blue/American flags forever.

I DO have 2 pieces of RWB clothing - my black Doc Marten's with the Union Jack toe and a LONG scarf stamped with the Union Jack all over with RW&B sequins on it to wear with a black dress when going to see Def Leppard . Thats it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 12:26 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,421,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Like previously mentioned, it's not proper to wear the actual flag. I see nothing wrong with wearing clothing with images of the flag.

I've noticed an upswing in the popularity of patriotic or "flag" clothing--
1--in the summer, as a way of celebrating July 4
2--in election years
3--in Olympics years

I think you're just noticing a combination of those three things. It's nothing new. You should've seen what was popular during the Bicentennial.
That's nothing - go back to the '60's - that's when all the ruckus started!

Old 07-23-2016, 02:07 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,762,438 times
I saw a "big" woman at a bakery wearing boxer-type shorts with the American flag printed on them. It looked cheap and trashy.

I think flag-printed clothing is fine if it's a sports jersey, and you're wearing it to a sporting event as a show of support for your national team. Or if you wear flag-printed clothing to a public event on the 4th of July. Otherwise no.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,341,075 times
I've never done it and never would. I think flags are for flying on government holidays and special events related to our country. My conservative approach to the flag might surprise people given I'm a progressive liberal. But I don't believe I need even a flag pin to demonstrate my patriotism and love of country. I believe I demonstrate it by my dedicated participation in the political process and my enthusiasm for the Constitution and the Bill of Rights (as they were actually written and not fantasy interpretations).

Old 07-23-2016, 03:38 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,716,012 times
Personally I think it's tacky, and it implies some lack on the part of the wearer - maybe that he's unimaginative, bullying, or has an inferiority complex.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,227,390 times
If it isn't illegal, who cares about the Flag Code? If you believe wearing the flag is disrespectful, then to you it is disrespectful. If you don't, then to you it isn't. To me this is like saying the Pledge of Allegiance. You are pledging allegiance to a flag--not your country. I don't see anything wrong with it, I would say it myself if called up to do so, but it isn't mandatory that every citizen do so. I believe that the Flag Code prescribes proper ways to display flags. When you take it down off the flagpole, you are supposed to fold it just so. When it is displayed in a meeting room or church it is supposed to be displayed just so. Most of us don't do these things. But we still love our country, and the flag which represents it.

So, I think you should wear what you will. I wouldn't drag the flag in the mud, or allow it to become tattered. But I honestly don't see any problem wearing on your clothing or as clothing.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:56 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,911,685 times
I find them to be a bit drafty.

JK,

I agree...many depictions seem tacky. But the US doesn't own red/white/blue any more than the LGBTQ community owns rainbows, so we can deal with it.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:06 PM

2,954 posts, read 2,906,110 times
Rather have a Right Winger wear it than a Left Winger burn it

Old 07-24-2016, 05:03 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,341,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Rather have a Right Winger wear it than a Left Winger burn it
When is the last time you saw anyone burn a flag? The last one I saw was a Tea Partier burning a flag at a public appearance by President Obama on the grounds that a person of color had no business in the "White" House and "his" country was being stolen from him (yawn). Hardly a "Left Winger," more like a "Trite Winger."

Old 07-24-2016, 08:31 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,462,177 times
I find it to be kind of trashy, but I also believe in America, so do what you want as long as you're not breaking any laws or hurting/bothering others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty