Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:06 PM

6 posts, read 21,774 times

Advertisements

I have just recently started designing my own jewelry. I would love to hear ideas on getting it into local shops without paying high percentages in commission. Or how to promote it in other ways. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 05:50 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Start a website that allows you to ship your jewelry and get in touch with an advertising firm.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 AM

372 posts, read 1,228,827 times
Don't know how early it is in your "business," but when my neighbor made enough pieces, she started selling her jewelry at local street fairs and craft shows in the immediate area.

It's not much to reserve space, and you can get a lot of foot traffic. Pass out business cards with all your info too. Word of mouth does wonders!

Best of luck to you!
Cathy

Old 02-20-2008, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 83,330 times
I would check out Etsy. Hope this helps!

Old 02-20-2008, 10:58 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyde View Post
Don't know how early it is in your "business," but when my neighbor made enough pieces, she started selling her jewelry at local street fairs and craft shows in the immediate area.

It's not much to reserve space, and you can get a lot of foot traffic. Pass out business cards with all your info too. Word of mouth does wonders!

Best of luck to you!
Cathy
This is definately a great route to start with. Where I live there is artsy stuff going on downtown almost every weekend. Setting up a booth can't be that pricey & the foot traffic is tremendous.

Even at state fairs, local fairs & the like.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Default Salons!

I have bought some cute, funky jewelry at my hair salon! They have someone who makes great stuff and it is fun even looking at the pieces!

My sister's salon also has jewelry for sale, and it is even more upscale than what my salon sells. She buys sterling silver pieces that someone makes and displays at that salon.

Don't know if these artists are doing it on consignment or what- but would highly suggest you check it out w/ local hair salon owners. Good luck!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:24 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times
Send free samples to famous people. If one of them ever wears your piece on camera or in photos, it's the best free advertising you could ever get.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
Start with craft shows, art fairs and the like...

Sell on Etsy.

Go to boutiques and show them your stuff. Sell on consignment..

I make hairbows for little girls and babies...That is how I started...I now sell in a couple boutiques and it is great...I did not want anything 'full time' so I send them my stock every couple of months and I just keep getting these nice checks in the mail...

Old 02-22-2008, 03:53 PM

859 posts, read 3,322,182 times
Set up a MySpace to promote your brand. Add as many locals as possible that are willing to be your friend.

Then start to find out about local feasts, carnivals etc. anything in the area where you can sell it.

Promote the event on your myspace.

Attend free networking events where you can meet local shop owners.

Give some for FREE to local high schools or colleges. Maybe if they are having a tricky tray or other event where they need prizes. You never know if it could wind up on the wrist of the most popular girl in school, causing everyone to say "Where'd you get that?" Never under estimate word of mouth marketing.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:19 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
I did this a few years back and did quite well. Here's what I did:

When I lived in Santa Barbara (where everyone seems to make jewelry - was very tough to break into boutiques there) I went to a jewelry store at the Beverly Center in LA at the advice of a friend; the manager of the store liked what I had to offer and bought every piece I had with me.

When I moved to San Diego and was planning my wedding, I joined a wedding planning message board. I was making my bridesmaid wedding jewelry, posted photos and before I knew it, I was getting orders to make jewelry for wedding parties.

I did that for a few years but then felt my creative juices kind of drying up/felt stifled as I was always copying other designs for the bride.

Get family & friends involved in spreading the word. After 9/11 when wearing security badges on lanyards became the norm, I started making beaded lanyards. My aunt sold hundreds of these for me through her connections at the UN and the affiliated International School. I gave her a 10% commission and also helped to spread the word on silk pashminas she was selling at the time. It was a great arrangement.

Put together signature packaging and labels - people love being able to buy gifts of handmade jewelry with pretty "dressing".

Start small and grow your business and make sure it's something you want to invest in before hiring an advertising firm - at this stage, I don't really think that's a very wise financial move. You'll end up giving the firm/marketing person the majority of your profit.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty