Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 04:52 PM

67 posts, read 64,040 times

Advertisements

You know when it comes to stuff like this I find it ironic that women always blame eeeevil man for wanting women to look a certain way yet say nothing about other women that can be very cruel. True men generally want slimmer women but women are the ones that point out the more little stuff like if some woman's dress/skirt doesn't look good, if her bra straps are showing, vpl, etc. etc.

Just take a look at this topic:

//www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...dy-shamed.html

I realize it's about an article about a woman that made it public but in that topic you have pages of several grown women saying the 13 year old girl has "fat arms" is "definitely overweight" etc. etc. And to top it off you have these same women that are talking about what the best undergarments for a 13 year old is for crying out loud. And in all my years I have been amazed hearing what women say about other women in regards to weight, dress, makeup etc.

Just saying it's men or the media is a cop out.

Do you think peasant women back in the middle ages did much to criticise each other or were able to do much to look more attractive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 05:22 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,324,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanastra View Post
You know when it comes to stuff like this I find it ironic that women always blame eeeevil man for wanting women to look a certain way yet say nothing about other women that can be very cruel. True men generally want slimmer women but women are the ones that point out the more little stuff like if some woman's dress/skirt doesn't look good, if her bra straps are showing, vpl, etc. etc.

Just take a look at this topic:

//www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...dy-shamed.html

I realize it's about an article about a woman that made it public but in that topic you have pages of several grown women saying the 13 year old girl has "fat arms" is "definitely overweight" etc. etc. And to top it off you have these same women that are talking about what the best undergarments for a 13 year old is for crying out loud. And in all my years I have been amazed hearing what women say about other women in regards to weight, dress, makeup etc.

Just saying it's men or the media is a cop out.

Do you think peasant women back in the middle ages did much to criticise each other or were able to do much to look more attractive?
Well, speaking for myself, I don't blame it on men or the media. I do hate how some women are doing more and more painful, unnatural, and sometimes even pretty disgusting (I won't be specific) things to their bodies, and then it becomes the norm. And it can sometimes feel like you're less if you don't go along with it, at least for me, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it.

I mean, I have pierced ears, I wax, shave, pluck, etc. But it's not hell. I'm not "torturing" myself. I'm not going to wear binding clothes and painful shoes. And I can honestly say that I don't dress to impress other women. They probably wouldn't be impressed anyway. I just bought two handmade silver rings. They're not fine jewelry. They're not expensive. One is a little silver seashell. I'm probably "too old" to wear it. But I love it to death, and I'm going to wear it anyway, for myself.

Anyway, I'm not saying there's no truth in what you said. Obviously, there is. As a matter of fact, I did just make some "snarky" comments in another thread about the way some people were dressed -- one was a woman, one was a man -- but it was because I thought it was completely inappropriate for the occasion, which sometimes it just is, in my opinion.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:28 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,922,679 times
I think the OP's question was why women torture themselves for beauty? I do believe the consensus is, WE DON'T. We don't torture ourselves to impress women or men, period. As for body shaming... it happens but that's not the subject of this thread. Women have been enhancing our natural features and beauty since the beginning of time. I do care about my looks for myself, my husband and for the love of beauty, style and fashion. Who cares why I care? If I am happy then what does it matter?

Old 08-08-2016, 05:32 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,491,431 times
Some women are deathly insecure with themselves. Ladies there's nothing prettier than a pair of bluejeans and some tennies.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Some women are deathly insecure with themselves. Ladies there's nothing prettier than a pair of bluejeans and some tennies.
My husband isn't keen on "tennies" and our generation calls them trainers. 🙄 I wear New Balance trainers with jeans of yoga pants but my husband much prefers a more feminine look though I dress casually in the clothes mentioned and he still thinks I'm pretty but he's not blown away. I like to wow him once a week to remind hm that we haven't "given up". Maybe it's a generational thing or cultural. My mom and aunts are still beautiful and fashionable.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I think the OP's question was why women torture themselves for beauty? I do believe the consensus is, WE DON'T. We don't torture ourselves to impress women or men, period. As for body shaming... it happens but that's not the subject of this thread. Women have been enhancing our natural features and beauty since the beginning of time. I do care about my looks for myself, my husband and for the love of beauty, style and fashion. Who cares why I care? If I am happy then what does it matter?
As a teen, I loved reading beauty magazines. I became kind of fascinated with makeup. I even checked out some books from the library (though quite outdated) about all the components of makeup and how to apply it, etc. It was so fun to me, and still is. The makeup and containers themselves are fun; all the colors, all the scents, all the textures. Just look at the inside of a Sephora store. It looks like heaven! lol Every time I go into a CVS for a random something I need, my eye always wanders longingly over to the cosmetic section.

But, for all the fun I have with it, I often go without it. I don't feel like I HAVE to wear it.

Edit: I should add that I never understood why women had to remove hair in the first place. Who came up with that and why? Why would it ever to occur to someone that one half of the species should remove hair that grew naturally and was obviously there for a reason? Was it about money? ---> Was it all just an ad campaign to sell the caveman edition of the Epilady? What? Anyway, what's done is done; too late to lose sleep over it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 08-08-2016 at 06:05 PM..

Old 08-08-2016, 05:55 PM

28,715 posts, read 18,900,719 times
Quote:
Weeellllll....the consensus among women who converse on a relatively conservative internet forum is "we don't."

Old 08-08-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
As a teen, I loved reading beauty magazines. I became kind of fascinated with makeup. I even checked out some books from the library (though quite outdated) about all the components of makeup and how to apply it, etc. It was so fun to me, and still is. The makeup and containers themselves are fun; all the colors, all the scents, all the textures. Just look at the inside of a Sephora store. It looks like heaven! lol Every time I go into a CVS for a random something I need, my eye always wanders longingly over to the cosmetic section.

But, for all the fun I have with it, I often go without it. I don't feel like I HAVE to wear it.

Edit: I should add that I never understood why women had to remove hair in the first place. Who came up with that and why? Why would it ever to occur to someone that one half of the species should remove hair that grew naturally and was obviously there for a reason? Was it about money? ---> Was it all just an ad campaign to sell the caveman edition of the Epilady? What? Anyway, what's done is done; too late to lose sleep over it now.

Removing hair is an absolute must for me... and my daughter is at an age where we will start removing underarm hair. Sorry but hairy pitts on women is just too granola for me and I grew up in SF in the 70's. Maybe that's why I feel so strongly about the topic as I remember seeing a lot of hairy pitts in my childhood. I can't imagine not shaving my legs and I prefer very little hair in the bikini area though I do not get waxed. I won't pay someone to rip my hair off as I can easily shave. I am also modest.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,971,677 times
To be fair, there are some women who consider wearing a dress or skirt as torture! :P

Old 08-08-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Removing hair is an absolute must for me... and my daughter is at an age where we will start removing underarm hair. Sorry but hairy pitts on women is just too granola for me and I grew up in SF in the 70's. Maybe that's why I feel so strongly about the topic as I remember seeing a lot of hairy pitts in my childhood. I can't imagine not shaving my legs and I prefer very little hair in the bikini area though I do not get waxed.
Well, I agree, but we've been brainwashed to think that way. I'm horrified if I see underarm hair on a woman, but I don't think I should be. It's normal. And the long leg hairs under pantyhose?

Quote:
I won't pay someone to rip my hair off as I can easily shave. I am also modest.
I don't pay anyone to do anything to my body. I can do it myself. (lol)

I know, that's another thing! I don't want some stranger down there messing around with my goods. Yeah, yeah, doctors and all, but she ain't no doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty