Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 11:29 AM

762 posts, read 611,636 times

Advertisements

I didn't read most of this I admit, but I gave up wearing Spanx (well once in a blue moon I will wear them but that's maybe 2x a year) and cannot wear heels anymore at work. I also cannot get a Brazilian. Sorry, I think of the pain involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 01:36 PM

21,952 posts, read 13,019,895 times
I don't. Back in the day, I was a natural beauty and didn't have to. Now that I'm no longer a natural beauty (at nearly 60), I don't really care. This is known as "letting yourself go"...

Old 08-09-2016, 02:45 PM

114 posts, read 268,585 times
For those that subject themselves to it - the reason is fear of social ostracism and shunning. Popularity. Cliquishness. Competition. Advertising pressure. Fear. Fear Fear.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:22 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,680,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
How women present themselves in our culture is predicated upon popular culture, which is highly influenced by what the men in ad agencies and Hollywood tell us is attractive.
One disturbing aspect in later years has been having this affect young girls in many ways, including wanting boob jobs. Along with this, that for beauty pageants, even toddlers are completely made up to appear as adults, including wearing fake teeth and appearing sexy. It's just weird..and wrong. Like you said, someone is holding the reins. Parents involved in this likely feel they need compete with standards that have been set, otherwise some kids would stand out over others, so "they all do it". Why couldn't it be to have just allowed children to be judged by natural looks and talents? It's just crazy what it has come to.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:48 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,680,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanastra View Post
You know when it comes to stuff like this I find it ironic that women always blame eeeevil man for wanting women to look a certain way yet say nothing about other women that can be very cruel. True men generally want slimmer women but women are the ones that point out the more little stuff like if some woman's dress/skirt doesn't look good, if her bra straps are showing, vpl, etc. etc.

I realize it's about an article about a woman that made it public but in that topic you have pages of several grown women saying the 13 year old girl has "fat arms" is "definitely overweight" etc. etc. And to top it off you have these same women that are talking about what the best undergarments for a 13 year old is for crying out loud. And in all my years I have been amazed hearing what women say about other women in regards to weight, dress, makeup etc.

Just saying it's men or the media is a cop out.

Do you think peasant women back in the middle ages did much to criticise each other or were able to do much to look more attractive?
It is not all women who would make those kinds of judgements and think it is a particular type who is very superficially-oriented or hung-up on certain things, which I doubt most women are. I really don't think women "prepare themselves for other women", either. However, since a standard was set for women to appeal to men, it is more of a competitive inclination, in order to fit in. I think various ages experience this differently, such as young women going to a night club, etc.

When I was younger, I felt I "could get away with murder", but as women age, we can feel that we need to make an effort. I like to feel that I look nice when out in public, but it had struck me in later years that I feel more comfortable in doing so, rather than being noticed if I did not. It probably doesn't make much of a difference to others, but again we have been conditioned to do so (where men may feel fine looking like slobs). I do like wearing something suitable and always wear silver jewelry and makeup (though not overdoing it). I will notice women who appear to have also made an effort, sometimes commenting on their cute hair or earrings, for instance.

Let's face it, if women would have been accepted as is as men were (meaning just with clean hair and clothes) from the start, there would still be looks-comparisons made. I wonder how much different it could have been though, if there had not been enhancements created or the establishing of a particular look for women to aspire to - that of which, women were not responsible for.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:20 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,916,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post

Let's face it, if women would have been accepted as is as men were (meaning just with clean hair and clothes) from the start, there would still be looks-comparisons made. I wonder how much different it could have been though, if there had not been enhancements created or the establishing of a particular look for women to aspire to - that of which, women were not responsible for.
Sorry, people need to stop the ego and victimhood. Thinking the BLINK of the eye they're alive is so special.

WHAT is going on in our society? Women whining and complaining about their lives all the time? And blaming other people! We NEVER acted that way in the past. I knew women who were the FIRST of their kind - doing trade jobs when it was first possible. They didn't even have these self-pitying attitudes.

This is completely lacking historical context since the beginning of homo sapiens, though. I don't even know how far back Idealism goes.

Were any of the Greek deity depicted as short, fat and bald? (sorry, guys)

Aphrodite and Zeus were basically naked. In fact, everyone was. LOL

Basic History informs us through sculpture and other art forms about how HUMANS evolved and what was prized or imagined. Even going back 1000 BC.

Like the period of time where Blackness was coveted by Greeks.

EVERYBODY was adorned in some way.

The Greek Dark Ages and Alexander the Great

Not to mention, there have been periods of time especially in the Euro world where "makeup" was UNPOPULAR and didn't even really become popular until around after 1910. Modesty was the thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_cosmetics

Do you seriously think women don't make looks-comparisons of men?

I know PLENTY of women who have a very specific type and claim disgust for others.

I even know someone who INSISTED Eric Clapton was the most handsome guy in the world. Go figure.

It's called being HUMAN; and the natural biological need to mate and reproduce the species.

And now that it's not considered gay anymore to care about appearance, men are doing a bit more. Botox, skin care (especially because of cancer), eyebrow & other hair waxing.....even though others may mockingly call them metrosexual.

Real men now wear makeup - MarketWatch

P.S. Do a little research and you'll see ancient sculptures and other art of men with enormous 24 inch penises up in the air LOL.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-10-2016 at 08:40 AM..

Old 08-10-2016, 08:22 AM

The excuse I always love is "I do this for me!" I call BS. "You" can't see yourself unless you're looking in a mirror, so why wear makeup, dye your hair, etc., for "you"? It's obviously for others. "You" feel better as a result simply because you feel socially unacceptable without it, which is sad!

Old 08-10-2016, 12:01 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,913,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The excuse I always love is "I do this for me!" I call BS. "You" can't see yourself unless you're looking in a mirror, so why wear makeup, dye your hair, etc., for "you"? It's obviously for others. "You" feel better as a result simply because you feel socially unacceptable without it, which is sad!
This is just silly. You think you know why women do what they do? I DO wear makeup that enhances my eyes every day because I like the shape of my eyes and I like to look pretty. Many people think I don't wear much makeup at all but that's because I wear it well. I don't worry about others as its my own beauty rituals.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:30 PM

You like to look pretty... FOR OTHERS. Not for yourself, because you can't see your eyes.

Simple logic! Or it *should* be simple.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:48 PM

762 posts, read 611,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think that's subjective and there's quite a range of this from say styling your hair to getting breast implants.

I know I personally feel more confident when I am more put together- hair brushed, makeup on, nice clothes. When I don't do these things, I usually feel like crap because I put no effort into trying to look nice for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty