Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 01:45 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,232,743 times

Advertisements

So I have a thread about me lying to people about their age, now I thought I would have one about weight.

I work with the public and I do get the occasional remark by customers that they put on weight and need to lose. Even though I think they probably should I politely lie and say they are fine or divert the attention and say I need to lose some weight as well.

Since most posters thought being a liar telling someone they look younger than they look is worse, what are you thoughts about weight? Is it more 'okay' to lie to someone that they don't need to lose weight or disagree that they are not overweight when it's clearly the case they should or are? Are you honest when someone asks you if they are fat/overweight?

My pet peeves are people fishing for youth compliments or telling them they are in fine shape and don't need to lose weight. Either way I just lie to not make anyone feel bad. But if it's someone close to me then I don't mind mentioning to the person losing a few pounds would be better for your health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 01:47 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,519,960 times
Easy peasy - that's a rhetorical remark. No response necessary.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:48 PM

20,770 posts, read 19,992,197 times
Since they are already asking I would say "yep!"

Old 08-19-2016, 01:53 PM

29,752 posts, read 34,422,837 times
I don't know that you have to lie, but many times people are just venting and don't necessarily want your advice or for you to solve their problem. Especially in a customer service job. If you wanted to say "if you ever want to go running, there are some great trails in X park" in a friendly way, that could work, too.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-19-2016 at 02:09 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 01:56 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,911,681 times
Just be kind and don't worry about why others express their concerns. If you work with the public for a long time you will realize that many customers need therapy but self medicate and shop and drink so bartenders, waiters and shop girls wind up listening to others' issues. Don't take everything personally and out on a smile.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,190,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
So I have a thread about me lying to people about their age, now I thought I would have one about weight.

I work with the public and I do get the occasional remark by customers that they put on weight and need to lose. Even though I think they probably should I politely lie and say they are fine or divert the attention and say I need to lose some weight as well.

Since most posters thought being a liar telling someone they look younger than they look is worse, what are you thoughts about weight? Is it more 'okay' to lie to someone that they don't need to lose weight or disagree that they are not overweight when it's clearly the case they should or are? Are you honest when someone asks you if they are fat/overweight?

My pet peeves are people fishing for youth compliments or telling them they are in fine shape and don't need to lose weight. Either way I just lie to not make anyone feel bad. But if it's someone close to me then I don't mind mentioning to the person losing a few pounds would be better for your health.
I would say, "Yeah, don't we all?" Or some such. Virtually all Americans could stand to drop a few pounds. If you are quite fit, then, you could say, "it's really hard to stay in shape" or something similar.

No need to lie. And there is no need to be brutal. How someone lives is not of your concern.

If a good friend is floundering, or actively asks for input, then is the time to tactfully mentioning getting fit or watching the carb intake.

People who fish for reassurance don't really profit from reassurances. They are insecure inwardly, and no amount of reassurance will make up for that feeling.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:02 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,023,430 times
I might keep it light and conversational, by saying, "I go to X gym, which I really enjoy because of Y factor. Have you tried any of the gyms in town, or the pools? I have a friend who loves the swim program at Z pool." That kind of deflects the topic away from "fat" and weight onto a comparison of various facilities in town.

IDK, OP; if you're in customer service, the rules might be different, lol. I mean--one may not be as free to follow one's conscience about truth-telling, and such. Maybe you should be asking your supervisor these questions, to get some guidance....?

Old 08-19-2016, 02:08 PM

19,064 posts, read 27,635,592 times
A lie is a lie. A lie is conscience telling against what is known to be true. So if person is overweight, person is overweight. And so on.
This country is plagued with "political correctness" to the point that freedom of speech is buried way down under and everyone is now is more sensitive than actinium tentacle. We all know what we can't say and about whom we can't say - so keep our mouths shut, or speak lie.

So what you do, OP, is you are lying. There is no such thing as small lie. Effect of lie is same, even thinking of lie has same effect as spoken one, in the worlds. Spoken lie also clouds mental atmosphere of one who received that lie, accepted it, hence, it confuses and deceits his mind too.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:12 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,519,960 times
Nowhere in the OP did it say anything about people asking if they are fat. It said people "remark" on their size.

It's not lying not to take the bait!

Old 08-19-2016, 02:13 PM

45,452 posts, read 60,653,733 times
I just say "ok".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty