Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2016, 06:41 PM

584 posts, read 2,156,904 times

Advertisements

Have any of you decided that since you no longer have a specific job requirement and you don't really do the same things you used to do, gotten rid of your fancy clothes? In the effort of trying to have a easier time with over abundance on clothes, anyone switch to a more basic, simple wardrobe? Anyone that has gotten rid of their fancy clothes, do you regret it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 02:17 AM

5,041 posts, read 3,351,891 times
I did this not recently but years ago. I did keep some clothes for nostalgia reasons 2 now vintage dresses from the eighties and the last party dress I bought long ago. Two vintage beaded purses I also kept. Last years I even got rid of my gardening clothes. I have few outfits to visit my dr's which is the only events I attend.
I am homebound by health issues I live my life with a simple wardrobe of dresses, few skirts and tops/shirts, some capri pants, few jogging pants for cold winters.One wintercoat and 1 summer jacket.Several wraps/shawls/scarfs as I get/feel cold. If I did no laundry I would have like 3 weeks of clothes I think. I have a very simple and basic look, this summer I bought some sale dresses at ASOS to add some new items. My closet is a basic EU wardrobe the rail for hanging clothes is I think 90 cm one shelf is bed linnen/towels/spare blanket and 1 shelf is folded items.
I did read about the capsule wardrobe project 333 to try to see for ideas to freshen up my simple look.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:54 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,995,049 times
If anything I got more and more polos and khakis for work, even performance shirts like Dri-Star and Everlast for my jobs and climate. I still get tees but wear them less and less. Basically, Friday's, weekend and off days.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:11 AM

219 posts, read 163,792 times
When I switched to working at home about 80% of the time I didn't need as many business casual/professional clothes. I however did not get rid of them. I wear them still the majority of the time that I go out since that is what I have been wearing for years and what I am comfortable in. I did buy some casual outfits for when I am just at my house working all day though and every now and then I will go out in them to run a quick errand.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:47 AM

5,862 posts, read 5,317,660 times
I went the opposite way. I used to wear nothing but blue jeans & tee shirts (in the winter it was pull-over sweaters & blue jeans). I would only wear a dress for special occasions. But, in the last few years, I have found that I really like dresses. So, I have been buying more & more dresses. I think they are more comfortable than jeans. But, I still wear the jeans in the winter.

Cat

Old 09-03-2016, 08:54 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,632,246 times
I am in the process of getting rid of the clothes that get little wear. I have far too many suits, dressy dresses and jeans. 80% of my time is spent in biz casual or comfy lounge wear. I really only need 1-2 pairs of jeans and capris each, 2 dressy dresses (one lightweight, one heavier weight), and perhaps 1 suit. I find it hard to part with the pretty things, though. But, I'm losing weight and now am getting rid of the dressy dresses that have gotten too big, so it's easier to part with them.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:25 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,386,965 times
I can't wait to retire so that I can get rid of the "office outfits"... I don't expect to spend my senior years in gym pants, but uptight, stuffy office clothes are one thing I won't miss having to purchase, maintain, and wear every Monday to Friday.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,288,266 times
Over time, I got rid of things I used to wear at work. Since I retired 10 years ago, I've gotten rid of almost everything I had when I stopped working. Another factor was a major weight loss though.

I now find that I need many fewer dress up clothes. I use separates a lot, and I combine them for different looks. I do need an occasional sober outfit for a funeral, or a nicer ensemble(!) for a wedding or other similar affair. But overall, I wear jeans or similar year round. I sort of woke up to this last Fall, and bought myself about six new pairs of jeans!

Old 09-03-2016, 04:55 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,264,327 times
I used to work in a stuffy type office. I hated it, quit, went to work in a warehouse where we wear like athletic pants, yoga pants, whatever so I lost like 35 pounds. I got rid of most my office clothes because I didn't need them, wouldn't wear them even if I went back to an office job because they were all too big, and so I don't regret it. If I do go back to an office job, I'll be more than happy to buy new things. I kept a nice pair of black slacks and brown slacks, and a couple of tops so if I do I will be somewhat prepared. I have an interview outfit too. Keeping a couple classic pieces, an outfit or 2 I think is good but no regrets. Most of that stuff was too big or I would never want to wear otherwise.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:29 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,037,535 times
My life has actually changed quite a bit over the past few years, and my wardrobe has definitely changed to reflect that. I used to work with the public and dressed accordingly. Before and after that, though, I worked in restaurants and convenience stores and didn't need professional clothing. I was also younger and went to bars and clubs more often.

Now I'm 28, and over the past six years I have developed a work-at-home freelancing career and gotten married. During that time, I put on a little bit of weight and then lost it (and then some) again.

Over the years, I got rid of clothing as my body changed (first when I gained weight and needed bigger sizes, then when I lost weight and ended up needing smaller sizes than before), as items went out of style and as things wore out naturally on their own.

My shopping habits did change a bit, though. Rather than replacing a closet full of professional clothing and "club" clothing -- with a little bit of casual stuff mixed-in -- I went more the route of casual stuff. The truth is, I'm home all day, and I like to be comfortable. I wear a lot of leggings, feminine-cut T-shirts, oversized sweaters, henleys, etc. when I'm working.

I do, however, like to keep a few go-to outfits for the situations when I need to dress professionally, such as for the rare occasions when I have to meet with clients or maybe handle some type of financial business in which I'd feel more comfortable when dressed up a little more. I like to keep a few "going out" outfits because I like to look nice when I go out to dinner and such with my husband and for the now-rare occasion when we may go to a bar or something. I keep a few cocktail dresses, semi-formal and formal dresses in my closet so that I'm ready for anything, but these are all things that I wear rarely. I do try to keep an idea of what I have and what I may need (for upcoming summer weddings or holiday parties, for example) and try to pick up these things as I go if I see something I really like or that's on sale.

I wouldn't advise getting rid of *everything* because even though you might not need these items all the time anymore, situations will inevitably pop up. However, there's nothing wrong with weeding things out and keeping a few favorites on standby, then replacing as needed without buying too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty