Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 09:00 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The biggest deal here is the sag skinny jeans, fairly short hair with the lumberjack beard. Usually with the vans type tennis shoes.
Is that the hipster look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 11:38 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I see wayyyyy more hipsters than anything else.

The whole bro thing peaked with Jersey Shore and is in decline now.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:47 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I see wayyyyy more hipsters than anything else.

The whole bro thing peaked with Jersey Shore and is in decline now.
i think the OP is being less specific with 'bro' - extending the inclusion to stereotypical frat types as well. I definitely do not see this as being in decline, especially in the south. No, the over-dramatized characters as represented on jersey shore are not walking all over the place.

Having said that, I still stand by my point that I see all kinds of different groups, styles, and subcultures in big cities.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:32 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboarded View Post
I'm fascinated by the bro-trend among young white males in this country. I connected through four different major airports over Labor Day weekend and far and away "the bro" was the most common trope among the under-30 and male set. You know the look: an ensemble straight out of J. Crew, Bonobos or the Banana Republic, the mandatory backwards baseball cap featuring whatever sports team, a pair of Ray Bans, the ubiquitous fade.

Growing up in the 90s, my feeling was that we had the preppie-bro type, but there was a lot more to choose from in the cultural pantheon of male style. You had your goths, your punks, your grunge-types, your ravers, etc. etc. That all seems to have faded away and in its place has emerged this white-washed uber-bro who looks the same, sounds the same, smells the same, drinks the same (ie way too much), and has embraced the same brand of bro-ey conformity whether they are in Chicago, Brooklyn, LA, Seattle, SF, etc.

Anyone else feel this way or am I misreading this.....?
Maybe it was an airport phenom.

What you describe has been out of fashion for at least a couple of years, now, in fashion-forward areas like CA. Backward baseball caps? Only in backwaters like Hispanic communities in NM. The big thing for white guys these days is long hair worn in a bun, with or without a full beard. I'm kissing the ground that FINALLY hair has made a comeback in the male sphere! And long hair, at that. Were you travelling around the Mid-West, or something? Backward baseball caps are a joke among today's hipsters, used only for Halloween costumes.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:09 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe it was an airport phenom.

What you describe has been out of fashion for at least a couple of years, now, in fashion-forward areas like CA. Backward baseball caps? Only in backwaters like Hispanic communities in NM. The big thing for white guys these days is long hair worn in a bun, with or without a full beard. I'm kissing the ground that FINALLY hair has made a comeback in the male sphere! And long hair, at that. Were you travelling around the Mid-West, or something? Backward baseball caps are a joke among today's hipsters, used only for Halloween costumes.
actually, among really young 'hipsters' (the ones who prescribe more to norm-core hipsterism) snapback baseball caps worn backward is actually quite popular the past year or two.

But I think part of the confusion is that people are randomly comparing multiple different types of people and throwing around terms that don't match. Some are talking about some aggregation of different types of hispters (for example man buns, beards, etc.) and then he's talking about bro-culture, while describing something that doesn't really match what I think of as 'bro-culture'.

What he is describing is more of what i think of as the modern day yuppie. Or the intersection of hipster and yuppie. Definitely a very prevalent group of people, especially in large cities, that exists concurrently with the various hipster offshoots.

In the end though, none of this is really very important

Old 09-12-2016, 02:19 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
actually, among really young 'hipsters' (the ones who prescribe more to norm-core hipsterism) snapback baseball caps worn backward is actually quite popular the past year or two.

But I think part of the confusion is that people are randomly comparing multiple different types of people and throwing around terms that don't match. Some are talking about some aggregation of different types of hispters (for example man buns, beards, etc.) and then he's talking about bro-culture, while describing something that doesn't really match what I think of as 'bro-culture'.

What he is describing is more of what i think of as the modern day yuppie. Or the intersection of hipster and yuppie. Definitely a very prevalent group of people, especially in large cities, that exists concurrently with the various hipster offshoots.

Thanks for the in-depth analysis of current trends! Norm-core hipsterlets? Who knew? It's been enlightening.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:56 PM

213 posts, read 227,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboarded View Post
I'm fascinated by the bro-trend among young white males in this country. I connected through four different major airports over Labor Day weekend and far and away "the bro" was the most common trope among the under-30 and male set. You know the look: an ensemble straight out of J. Crew, Bonobos or the Banana Republic, the mandatory backwards baseball cap featuring whatever sports team, a pair of Ray Bans, the ubiquitous fade.

Growing up in the 90s, my feeling was that we had the preppie-bro type, but there was a lot more to choose from in the cultural pantheon of male style. You had your goths, your punks, your grunge-types, your ravers, etc. etc. That all seems to have faded away and in its place has emerged this white-washed uber-bro who looks the same, sounds the same, smells the same, drinks the same (ie way too much), and has embraced the same brand of bro-ey conformity whether they are in Chicago, Brooklyn, LA, Seattle, SF, etc.

Anyone else feel this way or am I misreading this.....?

Yeah, it's been pretty much that way since at least the 90s.

The few cities in the US that used to have the goths/punks/etc. have all been colonized by douchebros and no longer have any character left. The interesting people can't afford to live in NY, SF, Seattle, anymore. They're competing with finance and tech people.

You could also be romanticizing your youth a little bit.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
as Arnold would say..

look at all these girly-men that couldn't even change a tire....

despicable!!

Old 09-12-2016, 03:44 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
What do you think people should be wearing?

Old 09-13-2016, 09:45 AM

4,326 posts, read 1,262,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post

Who knew that there were so many subcategories within "bro-culture"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty