Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2016, 04:14 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times

Advertisements

It depends on the type of shirt. My husband tucks in his long sleeve dress shirts for the office. But for casual wear (we live in Florida) he wears "Aloha" shirts, which are designed to be worn untucked. Same for the Cubavera shirts. Many t shirts look better loose as well.

Having said that, if a man is wearing a style of shirt that is best untucked, he should be wearing slim fit pants; to me nothing says sloppy and unattractive like a big, loose untucked shirt and boxy, big pants or shorts like the cargo style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 06:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
Pretty much agreed, for the most part. My dad is 83, mom is 71. She doesn't like it when he grows out his beard because she thinks it makes him look old. So my dad usually keeps it clean shaven. But when he's in his rebellious mode he grows out this big ole gray beard. I don't think it looks that bad, but my mom can't stand it. lol
Hahahahahhahha!

My dad shaved his beard off- the beard he's had for 50 years - and my mom didn't even notice!!!!!

How crazy is that.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I was actually reading a few posts to try and determine the purpose of your thread. Many signs of old age apply to both sexes, though women are much more conscious of their looks, and better at concealing signs of aging.

Then I came across this which seems very arbitrary.
Leaving your shirt untucked seems to be the fashion according to younger guys. To me it looked like being a slob, so I asked a couple of the younger guys on my team (early 20's) why it was the current fashion. They didn't seem to know, but made a strange comment. They said older guys tucked in their shirts to hide a big belly.
This struck me as odd, because if the shirt is tucked in tight, you definitely can see if a guy has a midriff tire.
Conversely, having ones short un-tucked seems to hide a bigger stomach, at least if the shirt is too large (which also seems to be the current fashion).

Frankly, I have started to not tuck in my shirt, unless I go out to dinner or a more formal event. Not to hide a belly, as I am very tall and not sporting a tire, but rather it is more comfortable. This also makes it easier to conceal a firearm with a more comfortable holster, rather than worrying about printing with a tucked in polo or button down.
Anyway, I wouldn't assume a person did it just to hide a belly, as that is certainly not why I do it now.
I get your point but my statement was just a generalization.

Lots of younger men have a spare tire now, though, I've noticed. Apparently too many video games and too many large sodas and supersized fries.

Anyway, I agree that a tucked in shirt would probably accentuate a belly.

I also agree that an untucked shirt is more comfortable. I literally NEVER tuck in a shirt (though I'm a woman - LOL). I mean, I only buy shirts that aren't made to tuck in but it's mainly because it's so much more comfortable.

The holster thing also makes sense - and so do purses with that extra little disguised pocket in front.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It depends on the type of shirt. My husband tucks in his long sleeve dress shirts for the office. But for casual wear (we live in Florida) he wears "Aloha" shirts, which are designed to be worn untucked. Same for the Cubavera shirts. Many t shirts look better loose as well.

Having said that, if a man is wearing a style of shirt that is best untucked, he should be wearing slim fit pants; to me nothing says sloppy and unattractive like a big, loose untucked shirt and boxy, big pants or shorts like the cargo style.
AMEN!

My husband loves those Aloha style shirts too and he's always wearing them. He wears nice shorts with those shirts - he has really good legs (lucky for both of us!).

In fact, he HATES wearing long pants and I swear the man would wear shorts in January in 45 degree weather if I didn't say something.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:07 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Receding hair line, and grey/mixed colored hair. I don't pay much attention to other signs.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:08 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
I love men for who they are, rather than what they look like. All of them have something about them I can find attractive.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:42 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The "chicken leg" situation is real, but IMO, largely due to sedentary lifestyles these days. If I don't make an effort to exercise, I'm rarely straining my muscles in the day and could probably get by on less than 1500 steps per day. Older guys are going to lose muscle, but the big belly on tiny legs deal is largely because people eat and drink a lot and exercise little.

LOL. I'm glad my legs are naturally on the muscular side.

I vaguely remember something about alcoholics having chicken legs or flamingo legs.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:29 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
LOL. I'm glad my legs are naturally on the muscular side.

I vaguely remember something about alcoholics having chicken legs or flamingo legs.
This happens to both men and women who are alcoholics - they develop bodies that look like a barrel with matchstick arms and legs - very sad....

Old 10-10-2016, 08:26 AM

Is it just me or do men seem to complain more about aches and pains than women as they get older? Seems that way to me but I'm just basing it on the men in my life - LOL.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Is it just me or do men seem to complain more about aches and pains than women as they get older? Seems that way to me but I'm just basing it on the men in my life - LOL.
Funny, my wife says the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty