Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 11:41 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,256 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been avoiding cheap polyester for a few years now because of over heating & pilling. I stick mostly to cotton & similar natural breathable fabrics. One of my friends who works in dry cleaning industry told me that I should try polyester as the new blends are more breathable & have better quality than before. My question is how do I choose good quality polyester clothes? Should I look for a certain percentage of polyester blend for ex: less than 30%? Also if it doesnt peel after a few washes, that would be great as well. I tried searching online but haven't found any helpful websites on this. I dont have issues with nylon or rayon as they are light. But I need some guidance for buying polyester as I want to expand my choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 11:33 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
I don't know exactly. I have avoided polyester since the 1970s whenever possible. I do prefer cotton, or wool. But I also do wear cotton poly blends, and I do sometimes wear a synthetic fleece, which is certainly poly.

I think your best bet is to buy a better garment, preferably made by a quality conscious manufacturer. Since I don't know what kind of clothing you need, I can't take a stab at recommending brands.

I think your idea of buying blends with less poly is good. There are some blends out there that use multiple fibers too, especially for wool like fabrics and sweaters. I always thing that more natural fiber is a good sign.

If you want to try one of the silky poly garments, find a blouse on sale in a better department--not a big box store--and wear it for a few times to see if you like it. Wash on the cold cycle, dry on gentle. See what you think.

I have to confess that I don't care for the silky stuff too much.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:21 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
The new polyesters are a mixed bag. I too, am one who used to always wear only rayon or cotton. But I recently have purchased some poly clothing. Bottom line, the thicker knits I don't care for at all, they feel too hot. The thinner knits and the poly crepes feel about like rayon and I like them. You will have to try some to see what you think. They do fit the body better, because they have a better drape to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty