Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:40 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times

Advertisements

I have noticed for a lot of things, Polo Ralph Lauren tends to run small. While their sleepwear, swimwear, and T-shirts fit me fine, their polo shirts and dress shirts tend to run small on me compared to IZOD, Nautica, Tommy Hilfiger, U.S. Polo Assn, and even Ralph Lauren's own lower-cost Chaps brand. For most clothing I am generally a size XXL, however, for some Polo Ralph Lauren clothing I often have to buy a size 2XB from the Big & Tall section.

For what particular reason is this? Is this common among designer brands? Tommy Hilfiger seems to fit me just fine, not sure about Calvin Klein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 05:54 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
I have found with the better clothing and designers they run smaller than other clothes in most cases. I think it is referred to as "vanity sizing". It makes a woman feel better to know she can wear a size smaller in a designer item. Not sure about men's clothing. Were the Polo shirts made in China?

These days buying designer wear doesn't necessarily mean better quality or that it was made by skilled tradesmen in places like Italy.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:03 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,077,806 times
A lot of American designers are going for the fitted European cut. I am a Medium but have to buy Large otherwise the shirts will be extremely tight on me.

Usually there is a fitted and a regular option.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:22 AM

219 posts, read 162,900 times
Brands vary widely with the sizing when left to S, M, L, XL, XXL, etc instead of the numbered system. It leaves a lot of wiggle room and it flat out sucks!

Old 12-06-2016, 08:39 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieLyons View Post
Brands vary widely with the sizing when left to S, M, L, XL, XXL, etc instead of the numbered system. It leaves a lot of wiggle room and it flat out sucks!
Usually with men's clothing, numbered sizes are usually only found with dress shirts and pants.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:40 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,854,815 times
Lauren seems to shrink , at least in the polos. Many times I have to go to L because the M will too tight. Other clothes , a M will work.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:54 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have found with the better clothing and designers they run smaller than other clothes in most cases. I think it is referred to as "vanity sizing". It makes a woman feel better to know she can wear a size smaller in a designer item. Not sure about men's clothing. Were the Polo shirts made in China?
What you describe is the opposite of vanity sizing. If the sizes run small, it forces the customer to buy a size larger than usual.

The high-end designer items used to be sized generously. Now some of them are doing the opposite, to cut costs, possibly. The better labels also used to have extra material on the inside hem, in case pants or skirts needed lengthening. There used to be extra material on the inside seams, too, for adjusting the garment. That was a very long time ago.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What you describe is the opposite of vanity sizing. If the sizes run small, it forces the customer to buy a size larger than usual.

The high-end designer items used to be sized generously. Now some of them are doing the opposite, to cut costs, possibly. The better labels also used to have extra material on the inside hem, in case pants or skirts needed lengthening. There used to be extra material on the inside seams, too, for adjusting the garment. That was a very long time ago.
This about vanity sizing.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
You learn a lot by trying on clothes at the Goodwill! I came home with a Ralph Lauren tee, that seemed as if it had never been worn. It was sized XL, which is usually my size in better ready to wear. Lauren has many different brands; this is a Lauren Sport, I believe. It is skimpy, the material is barely good, and it fits close to the body. I am wearing it under a woven shirt this winter.

I have had Lauren Ralph Lauren department store brand clothes, but I was buying these when wore plus sizes. I loved the brand then. I have checked into the same brand in plus sizes at my local Macy's. 1X is really too big, but I bought a chambray shirt in that size anyway. It has faded in the wash, and of course the sleeves are short. And the shirt is really too big. But I am not impressed with the quality of the cloth. At the same time I bought a similiar shirt from Lands End, and it is superior to the Lauren shirt in every way.

Every brand fits differently. I've found the more generous fits in some catalog clothes. If I were to try to buy from Target, I'd have to go up one size, which is pretty hard if you normally wear XL. But some brands do cut their clothes to be trimmer and shorter. I know it is maddening.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:25 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,356 times
Vanity sizing? I'd say true sizing. Those other brands are textile boats.

Not that Polo is perfect but it is the closest box-store shirt to bespoke fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty