Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 08:16 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times

Advertisements

I know plenty of single women who wear makeup and dress nicely every day...and never go out on dates. I also know women who wear no makeup and are very casual in appearance who have a hopping social life.

I think just being yourself is the better bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 08:17 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
At 61, I feel like I look tired and old without makeup, probably because I am.

I think I look better with make-up.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:26 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
There are some men that love highly made up women and there are some that prefer the natural look. My John hates make up on women, I hate wearing it. We're perfect for each other. He loves the fact that I will put on a pair of roller skates, ice skates, ski, ride bikes , and scuba dive. He also loves my skills at rehabbing houses. He admires intelligence and never wanted some ultra feminine high maintenance woman.

It's all about what kind of life style you want. If you want to be just arm candy and want to hang out in a spa all day then project that image and you may find a man looking for that type of woman. I'll take the slopes instead please In the end it should be about what makes you happy.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:27 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I dont wear make up at all and I dont dress fancy. We teach our daughters MODESTY. You dont wear make up and you wear modest clothes and the guy gets to know YOU, not your body.
What does it mean to dress fancy? You can wear a fancy outfit and still dress modestly. A business suit is fancy, and not immodest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Isn't that presently a false dichotomy, though? Clothing I can understand, but make-up doesn't have to look fake or immodest; there's a huge spectrum between a dab of blush and a light coat of brown mascara... and electric blue eye shadow with tarantula lashes.
Agree. I am quite confused about the post above.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:29 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Is it important for a single woman to wear makeup and dress nicely to find a man that wants marriage?

I have always felt to do so to date was a rouse. One should be their natural self instead of trying to be someone they are not.

Thoughts?
Makeup is very overrated and overpriced. Reading many men's opinions and talking to guys, the consensus is that they dislike the makeup thing, at least not a lot of it. If a woman wears it for herself, fine, but she should weigh the pros and cons and maybe really analyze how she looks without it. So many women look gorgeous sans makeup. Show off your natural beauty! You were born without makeup already applied to your face for a reason. Ditto for dressing well, which is very vague, BTW. That's a geographical phenomenon. What's considered dressing well in one state may be considered out of style in another.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:31 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
It may be radical, but would definitely refresh OP's look to get her hair cut short and let the natural hair color shine. No more $100 hairdresser dye jobs, no more growing out roots. Her hair may have beautiful natural highlights with the grays growing in. Plus, less maintenance time to wash, dry and style.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:36 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Makeup is very overrated and overpriced. Reading many men's opinions and talking to guys, the consensus is that they dislike the makeup thing, at least not a lot of it. If a woman wears it for herself, fine, but she should weigh the pros and cons and maybe really analyze how she looks without it. So many women look gorgeous sans makeup. Show off your natural beauty! You were born without makeup already applied to your face for a reason. Ditto for dressing well, which is very vague, BTW. That's a geographical phenomenon. What's considered dressing well in one state may be considered out of style in another.
I disagree.

Well first up, you should present yourself they way you do based on how you feel / want to feel. Not for an imaginary person that may or may not be looking.

As for makeup, a whole host of men say they hate makeup and then complain about women who look tired, not put together and so on. These said men do not like obvious makeup - that is perhaps over the top or too attention grabbing.

But they appreciate well applied subtle makeup that enhances the natural look. And sometimes that natural look takes a long time to create. In my experience men notice makeup that enhances your natural attributes and just think you "look nice." They don't realize that appearance is caused by makeup. That they supposedly hate.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:36 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times
I don't go out of my way to doll myself up or splurge on expensive makeup or clothes, but I manage to look presentable for work. If people there tell me I look nice, and it helps me make my money, it should be good enough for the average guy. At MOST I use a CC cream, some light powder, Bare Minerals Warmth on my cheeks and eyelids, and lip gloss. I gained weight because of some medication I was on and had to buy new clothes. I'll wear a nice pullover or open cardigan with a nice shirt underneath, and Dickies slim pants, and manage to look nice without breaking the bank. If I am in the mood, I will wear a necklace or a dangly pair of earrings. I must have something going for me, because no guy has ever puked or passed out while looking at me.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:46 AM

554 posts, read 623,180 times
You should want to look nice for yourself not a man.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:29 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I agree.

Currently I am wearing 10 year old jeans that have holes at the back pockets. My hair is three colors and needed to be dyed about 4 inches ago. My budget and schedule can't keep up with hair maintenance. The only make up I own is 3 different lip balms.

I am not ugly at all, but I have never been high maintenance with clothing and make up.
Make up or no make up. Hair curled or not curled. Fancy clothes or normal clothes.

Doesn't matter as much as wearing clean clothes with no holes and hair that looks combed and one color. The lip balm will not make a big difference if your hair has a skunk like look.

This should be the basics. Not for any man - for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty