Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 06:37 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
I agree !

I've never understood why so many brides choose strapless, as you've said few can pull it off. I much prefer to see sleeves or at least spaghetti straps, even halter style wedding dresses are much more flattering and pretty.

If it's a second wedding for the wedding dress choose Ivory, champagne, gold, etc. I was at a second wedding it was in the evening and the bride wore a soft tone gold dress looked really nice and appropriate.

Anything will look better than the strapless wedding dress - ugh.
Because few alternatives are available. When I was choosing my gown in 2014, at least 80% of the gowns were strapless, if not more. Fortunately, I was a bride who could pull that style off. I am very busty and the girls held up the dress quite well lol. I agree there should be more styles available with straps. Manufacturers shouldn't put all brides in one style box. They are very different from one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 06:39 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I went to a bridal shop to look for a MOTG dress last year, and saw a 300# girl trying on strapless wedding gowns. That's just something you cannot un-see.
I think I posted about it at the time, because it seems that some people have magical thinking about their bodies.
Anyway, I would love to see more covered up wedding dresses come back into fashion. I do t like the strapless ones and I don't like the tight ones either.
Think Grace Kelly, not Kim Kardashian.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:45 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
I had an off the shoulder wedding dress, but that was 15 years ago. Still, I got a lot of compliments on it! I have no idea what's trending now. Get what you like, don't worry about others!

Old 12-15-2016, 12:27 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Dizzybint - some of those dresses are gorgeous! I am also glad the sleeveless trend appears to be over. I'm tired of seeing all the back fat pushed up over the top of the gown. Unless you are a toothpick they rarely look fabulous on anyone.

Does anybody watch "Say Yes to the Dress"? I was shocked that some very plus sized women would choose a strapless dress. No matter how big or small you are, your wedding dress should flatter you, not point out any figure flaws.
Its the fact that you will be looked at at all angles and probably more from the back so a nice back is essential,

Old 12-15-2016, 12:38 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Dizzybint - some of those dresses are gorgeous! I am also glad the sleeveless trend appears to be over. I'm tired of seeing all the back fat pushed up over the top of the gown. Unless you are a toothpick they rarely look fabulous on anyone.

Does anybody watch "Say Yes to the Dress"? I was shocked that some very plus sized women would choose a strapless dress. No matter how big or small you are, your wedding dress should flatter you, not point out any figure flaws.
I like this one too https://www.theknot.com/fashion/kym1...-wedding-dress and the long sleeved one as well.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mo...-TcfPFqbOWM%3A
https://www.theknot.com/fashion/l513...-wedding-dress
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sa...e0jzP8zr9hM%3A
https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/366339750923141393/
https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/356769601712513970/

Last edited by dizzybint; 12-15-2016 at 12:58 PM..

Old 12-15-2016, 12:44 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirti Sharma View Post
Which type of dress is trending now days to wear in weddings
I don't know what that means--"the best". Whatever style looks best on you. Do you mean, what style is popular at the moment? Please clarify your question.
I've noticed wedding pantsuits have come in; a white tunic over white pants, different trendy styles.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:30 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
I'd like to think that it was a dress that was flattering, well-fitted, yet not overtly sexy -- to me, a wedding dress should look like a dress for a meaningful, life-changing ceremony, not glitzed-up lingerie. I absolutely despise those "corset" dresses that have nothing but the boning and lace on the torso, or the ones that are so low that nip slips are a given.

Unfortunately, so many young woman do not understand "fit" and the bridal salons have a mess on their hands when the girl wants the dress "cut to there", and "tighter, to outline my butt!"

I don't mean that a woman should be covered from chin to toe like a white burka. But for heaven' sake, get a dress that FITS.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:33 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I agree with all these brides in the strapless gowns and puffy rumpled skirts that do all look alike, not only that, its not every lady who has the shoulders or pretty back to carry off strapless but they rush to buy these creations regardless, dont the shop girls not advise them on the big bit of flesh hanging over the back of these dresses or that if your small in stature you should avoid big puffy skirts, if I was young again and getting married Id make sure it was something that wouldnt date to much, soft and flowing, something like this. https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/611856299344454793/ detail on the train of this one is lovely https://www.morilee.com/product/brid...wedding-dress/ https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/477311260481484831/

Notice that all the girls in these pictures are about a size 0 or 2. Very few people actually KNOW what they look like in their clothes.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:55 PM

322 posts, read 281,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Something with straps or sleeves. Few people can pull off strapless even though everyone has tried for the last 10 years or so. I'm glad that trend is fading.
Thank you for this. You said it much better than I did.
I've been round and round with a niece who swears by the strapless. No matter what it looks like on her.

Sad, too. (lots of flesh hanging over the back of the bodice )

Old 12-15-2016, 03:10 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirti Sharma View Post
Which type of dress is trending now days to wear in weddings

The dress YOU LOVE and YOU LOOK GOOD IN! And that you can afford without going into massive debt.

Enjoy your wedding! Wear what makes YOU happy. But, don't go broke doing it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty