Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When do you pick out your outfit
The day of 26 59.09%
The night before 16 36.36%
The week before 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 05:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Choice of outfit would depend on the weather, and you don't always know what that's going to be until the morning. Rain? Overcast only? Cold? (Wool) Not so cold? (Maybe not wool, or only lightweight wool) Choosing an outfit has never been complicated for me; it doesn't take any planning.
Hmm, I think the weather is predictable enough around here. The weather report the night before is directional enough! But I live in the Bay Area. It'll likely be 2-3 seasons in a given day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 05:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
Great thread! I'm not a morning person, so I pick out my outfit the night before, with a Plan B outfit laid out in case I change my mind. This includes undies, socks/leggings, accessories etc. I also use this time to identify clothing that's ready for the donation bin.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:03 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
I iron certain shirts/ skirts to give me choices. Then day of dressing I see what the weather entails.back goes the shirts and skirts. Out comes the sweaters, boots and pants

All good plans are open to revisions.

Not a jewelry person ( although I sell it!) . Simplicity in one ring or a bracelet.

I don't dress for success, I dress for comfort and that has led to success

Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
The night of. I get up at 5 and leave by 6:45.

Make my lunch the night before, pack my bag the night before, I even pre-make as much of my breakfast as possible.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:37 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
About 4 minutes before I leave.

lol

Old 01-04-2017, 07:48 PM

3,101 posts, read 2,005,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Make my lunch the night before, pack my bag the night before, I even pre-make as much of my breakfast as possible.
Same here. I set up the espresso machine beforehand, too. My life became a lot easier when I didn't try to fry bacon & eggs & make toast in the am. I think what finally prompted that was the day I pounded around the coffee maker like one of the Planet of the Apes characters, trying to recall steps & failing every step of the way, back & forth across the kitchen for 10-min. Stuff that slows me down & wastes time in the am just makes me frantic.

That's also when I began slow cooking in the oven overnight, too. I simultaneously wake up to a hot b'kfast & put my hot lunch into a thermos. Been doing that for 20-yrs now.

My oldest brother works from home, in software. He wakes up 10-min before he needs to begin, makes coffee, sits at his desk in his bathrobe & then takes a shower & dresses at lunch. I'm so jealous.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:42 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
It depends on the occasion. If it's for work, it's a no brainer: X colored scrubs, tennis shoes, and clean undergarments. The decision is made for me based on how high my pile of laundry is If it's date night, club night, or another special occasion, I put much thought into it and decide the night before.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:21 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There is one habit, from childhood, that I my mom enforced, that I have kept: picking out my clothing the night before. I find it saves me lots of time in the morning. I setup my outfit - undergarments, socks, clothing - and place it on my chair to get ready for the next day. I also mentally plan any accessories or coats too. I try to pack the days bag the night before save keys, phone, and any refrigerated foods that I am bringing with me.

Some weeks I pick out a few days worth of clothing. When I go on vacation I map out my outfits by day, and bring 1-2 extra outfits in case I change my mind.

I spend 5-10 minutes the night before planning what to wear, trying things on if I haven't paired the items before, I try them on.

So when do you pick out your outfits?
  • beginning of the week
  • night before
  • same day
LOL .. As a person that works 60 odd hours a week, a parent to an elementary school age child and a wife I personally choose to purchase items of clothes that are professional, but casual enough to go to a concert with after work if I want to. Also l try to buy things that I can easily put to together will no ironing or planning needed. After getting out of the shower I go to the pile of clean laundry ... grab a tank top, outter top, pants, bra, underwear and socks put it on ... grab a fist full of jewellery to put on while communiting and RUN out the door. So it takes me like 5 mintues or less to decide what to wear. I have no time to invest on planning stuff like this so I buy things that are stylish and functional and enough stuff so I don't have to think to much because the clock is ALWAYS ticking. The only time a plan a head ex night before laying out my clothes is if I have an event ex a big meeting or a something after work.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:09 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
I get up a good four hours or more before I have to be to work, so the time in the morning is not really an issue, but I do lay out my clothing the night before, especially in the colder seasons where I have to deal with socks and layering pieces. I would rather not have to spend time in the morning looking for that errant sock mate. I also pack my lunch the night before and put in in the exact same spot each night. The less I have to think about, the less anxiety I have. Plus, I would rather do other things in the morning, like journaling, exercising, meditating, and otherwise getting a leisurely start to my day.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:41 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Usually the night before, however, for holidays I plan well in advance. I will wear a Fairy Tale Pink IZOD Advantage polo shirt on Valentine's Day, and an Absinthe Green IZOD Advantage polo shirt on St. Patrick's Day. This past Christmas I wore a Real Red IZOD Advantage Polo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty