Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 10:46 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times

Advertisements

I have never worn facial hair. It would be wrong of me to deny the women of the world an unobstructed view of my comely visage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 10:48 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mideto View Post
It seems every douchebag is growing a beard just to grow a beard, as if the act of having facial hair defines what it means to be a man. Growing a beard does not in any way automatically grant you some magical gift of manly toughness. And just because a man is clean shaven doesn’t mean he’s any less of a man.
Actually, most men do not have facial hair.

So why hasn't 'this shaving fad gotten out of control'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mideto View Post
I swear, I can go to Walmart, the mall, a convenience store and at least 90% of guys have a beard. Most of them are patchy, don't have the right density and coverage and it simply does not suit them, it looks terrible. Yet, in their minds, they are convinced or better put, deluded that they look more handsome, more alpha, macho, masculine, etc. lmao

Notice how the "bearded" men, are the first ones to make fun of guys who shave, and call them, girls or boys, or even worse, make fun of guys who cannot grow beards. It comes from insecurity, low self esteem and feelings of inadequacy. This bearded fella doesn't realize the fact that he makes fun of clean shaven men, proves that he is insecure, which is not a manly quality.

A modern guy between 18 and 30 years old? You can bet he has some facial hair going. Almost, as if is a given. They grow their beards to prove their manliness, but it is actually having the opposite effect now.

This happens when everyone follows the same trend, it loses its appeal, it becomes a negative thing. Imagine if achieving a muscular ripped body was as easy as taking a pill, every schmook down the street would look like a fitness model, and it would completely lose the appeal it has on society, women, media, etc.

Many men say that they look better with a beard. If you look better with a beard, then I'm sorry, but it means you are ugly. The beard is covering imperfections in your face, such as double chin, recessive chin, weak jaw, scars, acne spots, fat cheeks, etc. You're basically saying "I look better with a third of my face covered"
People have beards because they like having beards. You don't like beards. For some reason, the fact that others have them bothers you. That says plenty about you but absolutely nothing about anyone with a beard.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:50 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I always hated shaving. I felt the same way about neckties.
Let's face it, how intelligent is it to attack your face with a sharp blade the first thing every morning, then symbolically hang yourself by tieing a noose around your neck?
So, when I retired, I quit doing both. I do not shave at all, and I never wear a noose around my neck.
I really do not care what others think about my casual attire and beard. I am comfortable, my wife loves me just as I am, and that is all that matters to me.
Just out of curiosity, would you be OK if your wife decided to stop shaving? 'Cause we hate it too. Not trying to be confrontational, just curious.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:57 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
To address a few questions, our private bits (men and women) don't come into contact with foreign material all day long like beards do. When they do, I would hope people wash themselves. So it can not be considered the same. If you want to compare my grooming habits, you'll have to compare them to men's grooming habits in the same area of the body.

Here is a link to the study about the bacteria in beards:

Your Hipster Beard May Have More Fecal Matter Than A Dirty Toilet, But Is It Really Unhygienic?

Old 01-29-2017, 10:57 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Sean Connery pulled off the silver beard quite well

It's contingent on facial shape and upkeep.

Having knots(nappy) and food drippings is not sanitary.

Goatee's are popular in my town. Guess it's a regional thing.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:06 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
I have had a beard for most of my life , exceptions were particular jobs that required a mask or public relations, but for the most part as a mechanic the beard had paid off several times working very close to sharp metal. Beyond that in snow country and out door activities the beard pays off there as well.
As to wether a woman likes that on me or not, I really don't care.

As for a woman shaving her legs or not I don't care .been living alone 15+ years now. Women are more concerned with how they appear to other women any way.
And if they don't shave, they have to live with it far more than any one else .

Old 01-29-2017, 11:07 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I don't like all these long bushy lumberjack beards either. They often do look dirty and remind me of Mr. Twit (Roald Dahl), who would find a snack between meals by snaking his tongue into his greasy black beard. I look forward to the end of this fad. A clean, well-trimmed beard is all right.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:16 AM

141 posts, read 171,586 times
It seems that every woman is shaving their legs, as if shaving their legs defines what it is to be a woman. Shaving your legs does not in any way automatically grant you some magical gift of feminimity. And just because a woman has hairy legs doesn’t mean she's any less of a woman.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:39 PM

1,478 posts, read 787,855 times
In reference to post #1.

I'm into shaving, aftershaves, and colognes. I particularly like the feel after a good shave and a nice mentholated aftershave applied. But I would loooooooooove to grow and have a full beard, yet keeping it nicely lined and groomed. But I can't grow a full beard, so, I work with what I have.

Hair would grow out too patchy, sparsely in certain areas of the cheek, and so I shave but keep hair on my chin.

I wear a style of semi beard very close to Jesse James the celebrity biker. Mine is similar but not 100% the same. Mine is far less full too. I also at present clipper it at a lower setting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ieuODWKOxY

I see nothing wrong with 100% clean shaven or growing out a full beard or a balance between both. It comes down to personal preference or maybe even what looks worse or better on an individual. Kind of like certain frames of eye glasses on people and shapes of faces.

Overall I prefer the full beard look, and if I wear a white guy (which I'm not), Amerindian, East Indian, any sort of Asian, Polynesian, Arab, Persian, or Armenian I would wear my hear shoulder length in the back and partially on the sides.

Former Presudent Lula of Brazil (a former factory worker and union leader) was one of the few Presidents of the world to rock a beard. Good for him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dEJmQgvB5CE

Nothing wrong with the dude below having long hair. Hair falling below the shoulders on a man is too long to me. But this dude's hair length is not really the problem as much as his hair suffers from the same problems as his beard. They don't look clean and trimmed. The guy to the side of him with the short hair and full beard is clean and trimmed looking. His beard is nice too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LrvvEckga8s

I have the curly hair often seen on a good number of mulattoes. So, I unfortunately can't grow long hair hanging gracefully to my shoulders like some white dude or Amerindian or Chinese cat. But if I could I would be rocking it.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:39 PM

409 posts, read 292,876 times
I thought the OP's rant was funny though I'm not a guy, so it's not hitting a nerve with me.

I'm not a fan of long, bushy hipster beards, either, but I'm older so don't have to be concerned with dating someone who has one. In college, long, long ago when beards were comparatively rare, I sat across a lunch table from a guy with a full beard and had to look away because of the salad dressing decorating it. Kinda ruined my appetite. Big beards strike me as unhygienic unless scrupulously maintained--same with long fingernails on women.

My husband has a bushy mustache that garners him frequent compliments. Kissing him is like mashing my lips into shredded wheat cereal, but he wears the look well so gets a pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty