Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 02:27 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,565 times

Advertisements

I commented to a co-worker that I had found a box of nail polishes I had planned to send to my niece - colors I received in gift boxes from Julep. Not colors I normally would wear. As I went through the box yesterday, I painted my left hand nails all different colors - and a couple of them I decided I liked. I decided to paint my toenails alternating colors - which I usually do in the summer. Cuz it makes me laugh and feels fun. She made a comment about me acting like a teenager. I took the polish off my fingernails and put the clear back on last night. Is that a teenager thing? I think of it as fun.

its not gonna change my mind either way. I like it and I'm old enough to do it if I want. she can't see my toenails unless I'm wearing sandals - which we can't wear here at work so it doesn't matter. she kinda ticked me off....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 05:12 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,064,154 times
My daughter paints her nails in alternating colours too. You should just do what you want, and don't take any notice of your co-worker. They're your nails after all.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Who really cares what somebody else's opinion about your nails is?

Old 05-09-2017, 12:57 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
A teenager, huh?

You tell your co-worker that you heard of an old great-grandma who paints each of her nails in different colours and then puts a topcoat of matching sparkly glitter polish on each nail. I do the same thing with my toe nails too. My friends call me Twinkle Toes when I wear sandals.

Times have changed so much. 60 years ago we didn't have all the nail polish colours that are available today. I recall that the first time I saw green or blue nail polish introduced was in 1965, but that was it - all other colours were different shades of pink or red. I got some electric blue polish and wore it to work, and my fuddy-duddy of a boss told me I had to take it off because it wasn't "proper" for a respectable woman to wear any other nail colour except red or pink.

I also streak my now white hair in different temporary colours that wash out after a few shampoos - it's so much fun and I love that anyone of any age can play with so many colours for nails and hair that were never available when I was young. Now I'm making up for lost time.

Some stuffed shirt attitudes never change in some people, your co-worker sounds like a stuffed shirt. Ignore her, she doesn't understand what fun she's missing out on. Don't let any prudes spoil your fun.

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-09-2017 at 01:05 AM..

Old 05-09-2017, 01:03 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I commented to a co-worker that I had found a box of nail polishes I had planned to send to my niece - colors I received in gift boxes from Julep. Not colors I normally would wear. As I went through the box yesterday, I painted my left hand nails all different colors - and a couple of them I decided I liked. I decided to paint my toenails alternating colors - which I usually do in the summer. Cuz it makes me laugh and feels fun. She made a comment about me acting like a teenager. I took the polish off my fingernails and put the clear back on last night. Is that a teenager thing? I think of it as fun.

its not gonna change my mind either way. I like it and I'm old enough to do it if I want. she can't see my toenails unless I'm wearing sandals - which we can't wear here at work so it doesn't matter. she kinda ticked me off....
Personally it is not something I would do for myself however, if you like it then do it without regard for the thoughts of others.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:45 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,252,432 times
Sometimes when I'm not sure which color I want to use, I'll put a different shade on each finger to see how it looks. Then when I'm done, I always love how it looks as it is, especially when they're all different shades of the same color, like burgundy, fuchsia, neon pink, salmon pink, pastel pink, for example. It looks really pretty to me.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:50 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,712,863 times
Oh poo to that coworker. Do what YOU like

It's nail polish, not a life changer.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:03 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times
Default ......

Quote:

It is more or teenage thing to ask other adults for permission or approval to do something.
Do your nails how you want. Make it an adult thing is you choose too.
What makes your co-workers opinion so important?

Old 05-10-2017, 10:31 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
It is more or teenage thing to ask other adults for permission or approval to do something.
Do your nails how you want. Make it an adult thing is you choose too.
What makes your co-workers opinion so important?

I wasn't asking her permission _ I commented that I'd found these nail polishes and put different ones on my fingernails to see if I wanted to keep them or send them to my niece. She made her comments and it caught me off guard. just curious to see if others thought similarly or if she was being snarky... I thought snarky.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:18 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,064,154 times
Quote:
I wasn't asking her permission _ I commented that I'd found these nail polishes and put different ones on my fingernails to see if I wanted to keep them or send them to my niece. She made her comments and it caught me off guard. just curious to see if others thought similarly or if she was being snarky... I thought snarky.
Yeah, sounds like she was being snarky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty