Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 06:34 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times

Advertisements

Has that ever happened to you? It's happened to me twice in the past few years, the most recent time today. One case where it was pointed out to us (I suppose the observer was onto something), and the other one I noticed myself.

Tell the forum your stories, please. I'll expand on mine soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 09:38 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
I have a friend who I swear looks like the female version of a guy on a reality show. They could be twins. My mil looks a lot like Jed Clampett.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:52 PM

I'm thinking people don't generally experience that, especially as noticed by themselves, and it's very awkward when it happens and embarrassing to admit.

Still, I promised.

The case where someone mentioned it didn't bother me (or her, apparently). She was conventionally attractive, and I thought she was quite good-looking (often people are attracted to those who look modestly like them). Clearly similar body type, too. Her face probably is a bit male, but I haven't seen her in a few years.

Yesterday's discovery...
I was watching this for the nth time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGLDfn6hKA8
I like the song, and the video draws me in because I think I've eaten at that diner (sometimes in those very seats).
Spoiler
It looks like Dinah's in the Culver City/LA area.

I'd been automatically zooming in on her, not that her face really does it for me. I had noticed the thick, dark eyebrows.

Then I was watching and got spooked and paused the video - "I look like her!" From the front. (The side profile, I don't know, but it's neither very different nor attractive.) More so when I was closer in age to her (thought 23 from the video, actually 19). Found the old picture I was thinking of. Yes, definitely, very similar in the lower face, not very different anywhere until the hairline. (Although I definitely have a man's face and totally different hair on my head.) I did a morph, resulting in something androgynous and ugly with Halsey hair For some reason, the D-lister's ancestry and parents are identified on a webpage, and there's basically no similarity. Meanwhile, there's no woman in my family who is both closely related and close in age to me. Just a freaky experience. Maty Noyse (yes, the real last name is musical) has a solo music video for "In My Mind," which I'd seen on TV last year and find catchy enough, but hadn't paid close attention, and it doesn't focus as much on her face anyway. But now I do see the resemblance there and in many other pictures of her with a closed mouth. As with rating my own face, sometimes I think fairly attractive and sometimes I think "meh."

I could go back to that restaurant, sit there, take a picture, then do a photo comparison series and send it to her but nah. On another level, it's kind of disturbing, because it confirms that in many ways my face is not masculinized and - still with some pudge in the cheeks though I'm slim and long past my teens - is fundamentally like a young person's.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:31 PM

[applies the thread defibrillator]

It seems like it's not rare for couples to be accused of looking alike.
“OMG, you look just like brother and sister!” - Weddingbee
That's sort of the theme of the Selena Gomez "Bad Liar." I worked with someone who had a sister/girlfriend thing.

Maybe there are people here who have been involved with sibling lookalikes?

Old 06-30-2017, 07:18 PM

Fun, anyone? I found a website that changes a face from one sex to the other.
https://corporate.moonjee.com/

My result was somewhat like Scarlett Johansson (face overrated due to hair and body). That actually makes some sense. But that's different from someone spontaneously noticing that, and I think slimming the lower face is part of the male-to-female change.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
[applies the thread defibrillator]

It seems like it's not rare for couples to be accused of looking alike.
“OMG, you look just like brother and sister!” - Weddingbee
That's sort of the theme of the Selena Gomez "Bad Liar." I worked with someone who had a sister/girlfriend thing.

Maybe there are people here who have been involved with sibling lookalikes?
People used to think my husband and I were siblings. Probably because of the way we joked around with each other all the time.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:56 AM

He had no beard then, right?

Men and women near in age can joke around with each other and not be mistaken for siblings.

I wasn't having much of a conversation with the good-looking cold fish (seemed like that with people in general), and still the observer asked if we were related.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:08 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
He had no beard then, right?

Men and women near in age can joke around with each other and not be mistaken for siblings.

I wasn't having much of a conversation with the good-looking cold fish (seemed like that with people in general), and still the observer asked if we were related.
He had a goatee. We both had black hair (mine was dyed) and we've both got long torsos and short legs, so I guess we look kind of similar.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:27 PM

Okay. Both experiences of mine were women with at first glance very different hair (although I suspect they lighten their hair). Maybe their hair is similarly thick and wavy, though.
Spoiler
People should Google "assortative mating hair color." I doubt anyone has researched on other hair properties.

I'm replying mainly to say I'm now almost sure that's the restaurant I was thinking of, because it turns out that scene is based on a Pulp Fiction scene, which reportedly was filmed there

Last edited by goodheathen; 07-02-2017 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty