Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 08:02 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times

Advertisements

I noticed gay men and women like to act like the opposite sex. For example the gay guys like to talk, dress and act like women and usually hang out with women mostly and do the girl things. They have high pitched voices and their gestures are flamboyant like a woman.

For the gay women they dress like guys and have guy hair styles and act masculine like a man. Why is that?

Is it because they also desire to be transgender?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 08:20 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
That's more of a stereotypical idea than it is a reality. I know of several very 'girly' lesbians and some men who are quite masculine. There is even a term for the masculine gay men, Bears. What's more manly than that?
I've know quite a few straight men that take longer to get ready for a party than a woman. I've known straight women who were twice as competitive as a man.
I don't think dress, attitude or career choices have much weight in ones sexual orientation.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:26 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
OMG.....you must live under a rock. Please, get a clue - it's really very insulting. You know that there are somewhat feminine straight men and somewhat masculine straight women too, right?

Your problem is that you only recognize as gay those who fit YOUR stereotypical definition of being "gay". Of course you can never verify your suspicions as fact or not so you are never disproven. You don't go up and ask everyone you think is gay for confirmation, do you? And would you also ask all those that you DON'T suspect as gay, just to get the other side.....no...right.

The world is a lot simpler when you don't open your mind to all the gray in it. The world being gray, I mean...not your brain so much.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:30 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I noticed gay men and women like to act like the opposite sex. For example the gay guys like to talk, dress and act like women and usually hang out with women mostly and do the girl things. They have high pitched voices and their gestures are flamboyant like a woman.

For the gay women they dress like guys and have guy hair styles and act masculine like a man. Why is that?

Is it because they also desire to be transgender?
Really?!

Because you actually have noticed a few men or women that bend gender roles (that may or may not be gay) you then presume that this "trait" is all encompassing to everyone who identifies as gay.

Did you ever ponder to consider that among all those "normal acting" folks around you many are in fact gay, more so than those more flamboyant and seemingly easily determined to be?

Trust me, I know plenty of gay guys who would slaughter you in just about any sport, hunting included, imbue more raw masculinity than you ever will and have never, ever swished in a dress or lisped in their lives as well as gorgeous, feminine lesbians who you would swoon over, thinking them to be an example of a "perfect" straight woman and they couldn't care less about hooking up with any man.

You must be very young or just don't get out much.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Really?!

Because you actually have noticed a few men or women that bend gender roles (that may or may not be gay) you then presume that this "trait" is all encompassing to everyone who identifies as gay.

Did you ever ponder to consider that among all those "normal acting" folks around you many are in fact gay, more so than those more flamboyant and seemingly easily determined to be?

Trust me, I know plenty of gay guys who would slaughter you in just about any sport, hunting included, imbue more raw masculinity than you ever will and have never, ever swished in a dress as or lisped in their lives well as gorgeous, feminine lesbians who you would swoon over, thinking them to be an example of a "perfect" straight woman and they couldn't care less about hooking up with any man.

You must be very young or just don't get out much.
I'm out and around people all the time. A very easy way to tell if a dude is gay is if they talk very feminine and flamboyant dressing feminine too. Not all are that way but most are. Lets not sugar coat it lets get real here. You must be young and naive.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
OMG.....you must live under a rock. Please, get a clue - it's really very insulting. You know that there are somewhat feminine straight men and somewhat masculine straight women too, right?

Your problem is that you only recognize as gay those who fit YOUR stereotypical definition of being "gay". Of course you can never verify your suspicions as fact or not so you are never disproven. You don't go up and ask everyone you think is gay for confirmation, do you? And would you also ask all those that you DON'T suspect as gay, just to get the other side.....no...right.

The world is a lot simpler when you don't open your mind to all the gray in it. The world being gray, I mean...not your brain so much.
How is it insulting? Gay men don't act feminine? Gay women don't act "butch" ?

Old 06-20-2016, 08:39 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I'm out and around people all the time. A very easy way to tell if a dude is gay is if they talk very feminine and flamboyant dressing feminine too. Not all are that way but most are. Lets not sugar coat it lets get real here. You must be young and naive.
Oh Jeeze!!!

Old 06-20-2016, 08:40 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Talking about generalization! - gay men do not "act" like women. Most gay guys are pretty masculine, almost to an extreme. Look at some pictures - lots of muscle there!
There are many gay men who dress like "men" and many lesbians who dress as "women."
There are also many straight men who dress "feminine" and straight women who dress "masculine."
Some men exhibit what we consider to be "feminine" traits (or girls exhibiting "masculine" traits) long before they learn what "society" thinks it's right.

However, there might be some social pressure, as I often see in same-sex weddings, that men are always in suits (and never in wedding dresses) but lesbian couples sometimes opt for either a suit or a dress.

I don't think that "gay guys usually hang out with women mostly and do the girl things". Actually, I think that's pretty opposite - straight girls like to hang out with gay men. And for a reason: most gay guys try to look more attractive. They know how to groom themselves, take care of their bodies, and they dress fashionably. Gay men shower straight women with the sort of attention straight men simply don't offer. They pay attention even to little things girl do - like a new nail polish, haircut, or new dress. They also are better listener. A girl can tell her secrets and fears to a gay guy like they would not even tell their best girl friend. Gay men seem to better understand emotions and body language. And girls can talk with them about guys, get advice, etc.
Most gay men I know are also really well mannered, articulate, love art and pretty things, they can be so nice and sweet, without expecting anything in return.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Talking about generalization! - gay men do not "act" like women. Most gay guys are pretty masculine, almost to an extreme. Look at some pictures - lots of muscle there!
There are many gay men who dress like "men" and many lesbians who dress as "women."
There are also many straight men who dress "feminine" and straight women who dress "masculine."
Some men exhibit what we consider to be "feminine" traits (or girls exhibiting "masculine" traits) long before they learn what "society" thinks it's right.

However, there might be some social pressure, as I often see in same-sex weddings, that men are always in suits (and never in wedding dresses) but lesbian couples sometimes opt for either a suit or a dress.

I don't think that "gay guys usually hang out with women mostly and do the girl things". Actually, I think that's pretty opposite - straight girls like to hang out with gay men. And for a reason: most gay guys try to look more attractive. They know how to groom themselves, take care of their bodies, and they dress fashionably. Gay men shower straight women with the sort of attention straight men simply don't offer. They pay attention even to little things girl do - like a new nail polish, haircut, or new dress. They also are better listener. A girl can tell her secrets and fears to a gay guy like they would not even tell their best girl friend. Gay men seem to better understand emotions and body language. And girls can talk with them about guys, get advice, etc.
Most gay men I know are also really well mannered, articulate, love art and pretty things, they can be so nice and sweet, without expecting anything in return.
Obviously not all gay people are like that I didn't think i needed to say that. Most gay people from what i've seen act like the opposite sex. I don't think straight men want to act like women and i don't think straight women want to act like a man.

How many gay celebrities do you know that act like the opposite sex? For example Ellen she wears men style clothes and hair cut like a man.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:37 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Not all gay people are like this. My partner for example, does a lot of stereotypical "manly" stuff like work on cars or work with tools. He also played football in middle school, baseball, track and basketball in high school and cheerleading in college. Being a male cheerleader does not equal feminine, either. I was in the same squad and only two of the male cheerleaders during the semestre I was there, were gay AND feminine. The straight ones are just typical straight guys. One of the guys was dating a girl cheerleader.

There is a lot that do though, and the reason for that I'm not 100% sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology