Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:54 PM

814 posts, read 760,393 times

Advertisements

I have one pair hippo skin boots, one shark, and an elephant skin belt. All really old and show no wear at all, just like they were from day one. I was looking at some crocodile skin loafers I thought looked cool.

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 12:13 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I have some shoes with python on them. And a fake croc bag.

I also have a few pieces of jewelry with stingray leather. The stingray is my fave. Subtle, easy to Match and looks cool.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:04 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Hippo and elephant skin items, as in the OP, would worry me unless I could be assured that they weren't acquired by poaching or other illegal or unethical methods. Anything else, have at it.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:32 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I'm not interested in wearing skin from animals that I wouldn't consume. I figure I've eaten enough beef in my lifetime to justify any cow leather shoes or purses I may own.

The others? Not interested.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:45 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
^^^ I've eaten gator many times. Tastes like chicken. Liked it. Eaten snake don't know what kind, blah.
Shark was good back in the 80's but we should not eat it now. Stingray was OK.

If one is on a safari, you most likely are eating the farmed versions of what you see in the wild. Warthogs, antelopes, Kadus, springbucks, deer kind of animals, etc. Kadu, huge deer, was like beef, liked it. Rest were good too, How could warthog not be, its a leaner pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
I have one pair hippo skin boots, one shark, and an elephant skin belt. All really old and show no wear at all, just like they were from day one. I was looking at some crocodile skin loafers I thought looked cool.

Anyone else?
They must be 50+ years old. As no one has had the nerve to make hippos, shark, elephant skin anything in decades. At least to sell in the US. Would love to see the hippo, shark, and elephant skin looks like all these years later.

I have seen elephant skin on safari in Bostwana. The guide said it was 10 years dead. Other than it was black instead of greyish looked just like skin on live elephant.

Both hubs and I have lots of alligator shoes, a purse, wallets, belts etc. They were all farm raised so whole animal was used, meat etc. I'm done buying this stuff as what we have will last forever.

I have a 15 year old Python bag by Bottega. It looks as good as the day I bought it. I baby it and it gets lots of Bricks 4 to keep it in great condition.

One stingray wallet, also BV. Stuff wears like steel. Actually we don't see stingray that much as to try to sew it rips the heck out of machines.

There is a place online that sells only old exoctic bags etc. name escapes me.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
^^^ I've eaten gator many times. Tastes like chicken.
If one is on a safari, you most likely are eating the farmed versions of what you see in the wild. Warthogs, antelopes, Kadus, springbucks, deer kind of animals, etc.

They must be 50+ years old. As no one has had the nerve to make hippos, shark, elephant skin anything in decades. At least to sell in the US. Would love to see the hippo, shark, and elephant skin looks like all these years later.

I have seen elephant skin on safari in Bostwana. The guide said it was 10 years dead. Other than it was black instead of greyish looked just like skin on live elephant.

Both hubs and I have lots of alligator shoes, a purse, wallets, belts etc. They were all farm raised so whole animal was used, meat etc. I'm done buying this stuff as what we have will last forever.

I have a 15 year old Python bag by Bottega. It looks as good as the day I bought it. I baby it and it gets lots of Bricks 4 to keep it in great condition.

One stingray wallet, also BV. Stuff wears like steel. Actually we don't see stingray that much as to try to sew it rips the heck out of machines.

There is a place online that sells only old exoctic bags etc. name escapes me.
I don't know when the animals were killed, but in local boot shops you'll find elephant, hippo and shark ready to go. Also custom shoe makers can order it on demand, unless the animal is an endangered species.

https://www.yoderleather.com

Men's Lucchese Boots - 16,000 Lucchese in stock - Sheplers

Last edited by jaycich; 06-17-2017 at 10:43 AM..

Old 06-17-2017, 10:57 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
Ed Gein had a very exotic leather collection.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Hippo and elephant skin items, as in the OP, would worry me unless I could be assured that they weren't acquired by poaching or other illegal or unethical methods. Anything else, have at it.
This.

I certainly wouldn't brag that my shoes were made out of elephant.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:30 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I found a handmade pair of ostrich elbow boots in a thrift store years ago. I still wear them and they look brand new! I think I paid $5 for them!

Old 06-17-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I found a handmade pair of ostrich elbow boots in a thrift store years ago. I still wear them and they look brand new! I think I paid $5 for them!
You mean ankle boots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty