Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 09:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

So I have an aspiration to get more ethically produced and sustainable products. I have been trading up other categories - household cleaning products, food to date. But clothing has been pretty difficult.

I keep hearing about new brands popping up, and I look at the selection. In addition to being limited in sizes, they are so minimalist or boho.

Case in point:
Everlane
Grana

Look - almost everything is grey, navy, white, off-white or maybe black. Or earth tones. Most clothing is shapeless and unflattering. And just super basic - not even interesting basics.

I am finding the same in the local stores too: Amour Vert comes to mind.

Where is the bright color? How about patterns? Why is this stuff so boring? Do people who want to get sustainably sourced stuff have to be aspiring minimalist?

This makes me not want to do it. I'd love to get better made stuff, but sheesh I don't want to be a super minimalist.

I did find one brand that has some potential, but not for a whole wardrobe. Les Lunes at least has more interesting shapes and detailing.
https://leslunes.com

Have any options that aren't so boring? Are you also looking more sustainable clothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 10:37 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Not exactly answering your question, but one thing you can do so that your clothing is more sustainable is buy good quality clothes that you like and wear them for a long time. Try to avoid fast fashion.

I have pants that I've been wearing to work for at least 10 years. They weren't even expensive, but for some reason they last and last. I buy very few clothes and shoes and wear the heck out of them.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Not exactly answering your question, but one thing you can do so that your clothing is more sustainable is buy good quality clothes that you like and wear them for a long time. Try to avoid fast fashion.

I have pants that I've been wearing to work for at least 10 years. They weren't even expensive, but for some reason they last and last. I buy very few clothes and shoes and wear the heck out of them.
Good quality clothing is hard to find! Even the pricier brands have sucky clothes now! Poor quality fabrics or stitching. Same with shoes too! I do resole and such when I can, but some cannot be salvaged. I have been buying better shoes....that is easier to find than the clothing.

I am hoping to find things made with nice fabrics where workers are paid fairly! It shouldn't be an impossible dream!

Old 06-22-2017, 12:13 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
I clicked on the first link you offered, and the first thing I saw was a bright orange dress?

Old 06-22-2017, 12:55 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
All this eco ssustanable mumbo jombo with eco friendly colors is just niche marketing with the same "innocent is me" colors and layout. Never in your face, for no good reason. As if testosterone and excitment doesnt exist.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I clicked on the first link you offered, and the first thing I saw was a bright orange dress?
That is so rare for them. everything else is literally neutral. And the shapes are terrible.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I suspect sustainable clothes are expected to be worn for multiple years, so they are kept neutral and simple in line.

I agree with another poster who suggested buying better quality clothes and wearing them for as many years as yoU can.

You find better quality clothes in department stores and other specialty stores like Talbots.

Shopping is so crummy where I live, I have to make do. I can get better quality stuff via online retailers such as Lands End, Bean, Duluth Trading. I want to order fron Orvis. Their stuff looks good to me. But it is pricier. I haven't taken the plunge with them yet.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I suspect sustainable clothes are expected to be worn for multiple years, so they are kept neutral and simple in line.
You can make a basic that is still a little interesting. I definitely see it at super premium prices. And cheap,prices. But not in this area - things are ultra plain and dull.

Quote:
I agree with another poster who suggested buying better quality clothes and wearing them for as many years as yoU can.

You find better quality clothes in department stores and other specialty stores like Talbots.
I think that buying in department stores used to mean higher quality stuff, but not so much anymore. Lots of crap at all price points. And most stuff is polyester.

For example, a few years ago,I got some awesome skirts from Michael Kors brand. I lost weight and they no longer fit. And I went to the store to replace them, but the fabric was half as thick and they were no,longer lines. The list price was also more expensive.

I'd love a great fitting neutral silk blouse and I am willing to invest. But everything I have seen is either shapeless or super thin. Quality clothes are hard to find now in more accessible prices. I am sure for $400 I might find something, but that is too pricey for me.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You can make a basic that is still a little interesting. I definitely see it at super premium prices. And cheap,prices. But not in this area - things are ultra plain and dull.

I think that buying in department stores used to mean higher quality stuff, but not so much anymore. Lots of crap at all price points. And most stuff is polyester.

For example, a few years ago,I got some awesome skirts from Michael Kors brand. I lost weight and they no longer fit. And I went to the store to replace them, but the fabric was half as thick and they were no,longer lines. The list price was also more expensive.

I'd love a great fitting neutral silk blouse and I am willing to invest. But everything I have seen is either shapeless or super thin. Quality clothes are hard to find now in more accessible prices. I am sure for $400 I might find something, but that is too pricey for me.
I've had the same experiences you have had.

If you are a missy size, you can probably find decent quality clothing at many major department stores. If you are a plus, then it will not be as easy, and you won't have much of a selection. I can't speak to petites.

I do agree that there is a lot of junk clothing out there. Oddly, this year I've found some less expensive pants that I deem acceptable, but tops I typically see are garish and made of poly or rayon. These are not my faves. But even when the pants are made of nicer fabric, they lack deeper pockets and have no interfacing in the waistbands.

I did find a very nicely made pair of pants at Macy's! They are Charter Club and they are made well. I look forward to wearing them when I need to look casually dressed up. I hope they wash well.

And, I've dissed Macy's so many time, so I need to 'fess up. I found three pair of pants there yesterday in my size--14X. Yay! It is so great to have a garment that fits at least pretty well. Previously I have not found any thing in 14X. The smallest X size I could find before was 16X.

For better quality clothing, unless you live in a huge metro area, I recommend finding out what online retailers suit you. It takes a few orders and returns to find clothes you like that fit, but it can be so worth it.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:48 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
There's a chicken-or-the-egg factor, in that bold colors are a riskier sale, and the market is small to begin with. Edit: that pertains to fit, too.

Also, eco-friendly dyes and fabrics have less potential for color and sheen than more toxic materials.

Last edited by goodheathen; 07-03-2017 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty