Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:51 PM

84 posts, read 185,203 times

Advertisements

- Has anyone here ever had skin lightening surgery? And is it popular where you live? Where I live it's very popular but it's kind of expensive

SakuraNam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Is it to lighten some discoloration? Or lighten your entire skin?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:40 AM

191 posts, read 357,276 times
I see you are from Vietnam form your profile! Do you live there now? I am unsure about what skin lightening surgery is and I live in the U.S.A. I’m not sure if we have anything similar to that surgery here….we most likely do I am just not aware of it. If I can ask why you do want to get this surgery?? Is there a possibility it can permanently damage your skin, if so are you willing to take that risk? Please be careful because in this life we only get one body and if we damage it the effects can be permanently, so make sure your doctor has a good success rate with this surgery! Good luck!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:37 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,055 times
Why do you want to lighten your skin?

Old 08-08-2011, 02:47 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,526,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Why do you want to lighten your skin?
The practice (sadly) is very big in many Asian, Latin American and even African countries.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:21 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The practice (sadly) is very big in many Asian, Latin American and even African countries.
What? LOL especially African countries. Anyway, OP if you are willing to risk liver damage and not being able to go into the sun...there is no surgery I know of to lighten skin, but there is a treatment that will permanently lighten your skin.

It is normally given to patients who have vitiligo (white patches) on large parts of their body. It removes the pigment from the rest of your skin. You will be very white afterwards, but it does have side effects, and in the US you need to consult a Doctor to get prescription and you need the Dr's assistance to follow the treatment.

Normally a lot of blacks, Latin americans, Indians etc want very "light-colored" skin, but not completely pigment-free skin. Nobody really wants that (except Asians, but that's another story), but that's what you get with the vitiligo treatment. I don't know of a product that will reduce pigment a LOT but not reduce all of it. I recommend talking to a doctor.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:45 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,055 times
Melanin is what protects you from skin cancer.

I can't imagine someone trying to remove that from their skin permanently.

Killing your melanocytes for a fashion trend.

Why would someone want to do that? There have been other posts around about skin lightening, and I still can't quite understand why someone would do that intentionally.

I think they should think long and hard about their reasons for doing that.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:31 AM

84 posts, read 185,203 times
Default Skin Lightening surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Melanin is what protects you from skin cancer.

I can't imagine someone trying to remove that from their skin permanently.

Killing your melanocytes for a fashion trend.

Why would someone want to do that? There have been other posts around about skin lightening, and I still can't quite understand why someone would do that intentionally.

I think they should think long and hard about their reasons for doing that.

- I still live in Vietnam right now. In my country, a lot of women want to have this kind of surgery in order to have whiter skin, they want to look more beautiful, besides men do like women who have whiter skin this is the truth. But some women do not have guts to have this surgery because they think it can give them cancer in the long run.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:03 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,129 times
Don't resort to surgery or treatments that can harm you. Rub some lemon juice on your skin every day, wear sunblock, use wide-brimmed hats and clothing that covers your skin, etc. It's what I do to keep my skin pale.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:00 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times
Ok, white people. LOL you guys apparently can't relate. So, I will do a cultural exchange RE: Skin Bleaching.

I have very black skin, but luckily I was spared a lot of trauma because my family spoiled me and told me I was pretty. My mom also has dark skin, and I think she favored me a lot because she thought I would be treated badly by other blacks because of my complexion.

She's correct. I even had a little black kid tell me I would be "prettier" if my skin was lighter. LOL...hey I'm plenty pretty, you little...

Anyway, seriously. "Coloreds" all over the world really REALLY are into lighter skin. From the Caribbean to Africa to Japan, Korea, India, Malaysia and beyond. Normally the darker ones like Indians and blacks like a very pale olive skin...but the more light-skinned ones love WHITE skin.

Like Nicole Kidman/Anne Hathaway white. Korean actor Lee Minho once quoted his ideal woman as one "whose skin is as white as fluorescent light" Ahem.

Let us consider the thread a cultural exchange.

Korea's IOPE Whitegen:

India's Fair and Lovely Cream (and soap, and lotion LOL):
http://truthinaging.com/wp-content/plugins/simple-post-thumbnails/timthumb.php?src=/wp-content/thumbnails/31327.jpg&w=180&h=180&zc=1&ft=jpg (broken link)

Sammy Sosa's Bleaching:
http://www.thegrio.com/assets_c/2009/11/Sosa%202%20and%202%202-thumb-400xauto-4924.jpg (broken link)

OMG (not sure how many Vybz Kartel fans are on the forum....) I AM in Shock, even that perve in Vybz Kartel bleached his skin! Awha ya taaalll?!

Shiseido White Lucent (Shade your eyes):

Bleaching side-effects on black/negra skin:

I have an aunt who bleached her skin for years, and her face began as dark brown, and now looks sort of like the last one. Of course, she probably thinks she looks a lot better.

Having seen girls in Korea, their skin is SUPER white, and many girls also use bleaching products. As a result, almost all girls have a similar rashy breakout on their cheeks. No ladies, it's not acne.

Pretty Senegal actress with the naturally darker skin (Fatou):

There is even a phrase in Africa for the ladies who bleach: "fanta faces and coca cola bodies." A lot of African men apparently prefer the lighter skinned women and call their skin "first color" in some countries.

Bleached African Lady I am sure she is considered very attractive:
http://www.satellit-cafe.com/repository/272/2720430118/2225864208.jpg (broken link)

The lengths women go to look pretty...

Personally, I look like the actress (although I am currently as Saffy would say two stone overweight LOL), and I think I'm plenty good looking. LOL But I have been wrong before.

There you have it: a little information about skin bleaching.

In a lot of countries, it is a common beauty treatment: creams, lotions, soaps, pills...and if the OP is correct...even surgery(?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty