Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 06:46 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,693,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
I'm gonna be blunt and point out I don't know what you mean by a reality check, as I asked her on my first day of training what to wear since that day in particular I just happened to have on a button up and jeans since I was never told prior. Just pointed that out since it seems you assumed I was approached and told otherwise.
No offense was intended. Things don't always translate well over the internet. I was simply suggesting that she pointed out the realities of the job situation in that animal pee, poop and other bodily fluids are common. You, or any employee in that situation, must dress accordingly.

There was no insinuation that you said or did anything wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 06:53 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
Go to a Thrift Store in the vicinity of a rich neighborhood. Grab a couple of nearly new polo shirts. If you can't find pants there, I always love the clearance rack at the LL Bean outlet. You can also find some good khakis and navy pants online.

It's best to get stuff that doesn't require ironing.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Someone asked my complexion, I'm African American and pretty middle toned, leaning on dark skinned since I work outdoors. If I had to pick a specific color to match my skin, I'd say milk chocolate/hot cocoa.
Pretty much any saturated color should work well on you. Try jewel tones first. Avoid pastels. Burgundy, burnt orange, medium to dark greens. You have a lot of options with your skin tone.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:48 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,026,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Polo shirts in warm, "autumn" colors would probably look good on your complexion - yellow, loden green, copper tones, and so on. Get a package of different colored construction paper and hold up each sheet just below your face while checking out the effect in a mirror. You'll quickly spot which colors work and which don't.
Yes...I agree with this. These colors sound like they would look good with your complexion.

When I take my pets to the vet, I wouldn't expect to see someone sitting at the front desk wearing a button-down dress shirt and dress pants. I would think that a decent collared shirt with a pair of khakis would be sufficient.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:53 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,026,025 times
Also, I'd skip dark colors because pet hair shows on dark colors really bad! I have two dogs and three cats, so I know!

In addition to thrift store shopping, try Wal-Mart. For this type of work environment (versus, say, a job in a law office or somewhere where you'll be surrounded by men wearing expensive, fancy work clothing), it's probably perfect. You should be able to get decent khakis for $20 and collared shirts for $10 or so. Should be easy-care stuff that you can just toss in the washing machine, which is obviously gonna be important in a vet's office. Plus, if a cat's claws destroy your shirt or if you end up with a poop or blood stain that won't wash out, you can toss it without a huge financial loss.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:12 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,837,697 times
Black pants, shoes and belts go with everything. You can shop at Kohls, Ross and Old Navy for clothes.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:24 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
I'm gonna be blunt and point out I don't know what you mean by a reality check, as I asked her on my first day of training what to wear since that day in particular I just happened to have on a button up and jeans since I was never told prior. Just pointed that out since it seems you assumed I was approached and told otherwise.

I've also been working there now, just wanted advice so I'm not wearing the same thing everyday, not what my job duties are/might entail.

Thank you for being the one to actually give me color suggestions and the construction paper advice, I never thought to do that prior and I will now to see what'll look decent on me. Thankfully it is about to hit the fall time of the year out here and I guess I'll blend in soon.

Someone asked my complexion, I'm African American and pretty middle toned, leaning on dark skinned since I work outdoors. If I had to pick a specific color to match my skin, I'd say milk chocolate/hot cocoa.

I can't quote blazerj, but thanks too for color/type suggestions.

I got good pointers and, since I'm only at one job Monday, I'll run to the thrift stores and see what they have for sale. Hopefully find something that looks good!

I did find that black is iffy, to say the least, as our office cats like using us as chairs if they like you and that means black quickly turns into black w/ greyed thighs. All good though, kitty love never hurts
Oh, lord, is it ever! I have six cats and two dogs, one of which is a mostly white Pomeranian. I do not wear black anything in the house. If I want to wear it out, I literally carry my clothes to the mudroom, which is a pet-free zone, and dress there! Glad you are enjoying the kitty love, though. I think I envy your job.

As for shirts, I agree with those who have suggested rich colors. Actually, it sounds like almost any color would look good on you, save perhaps for some shades of brown or gray. Autumn shades (think of an October landscape, leaves turning and dark green pine trees) would probably suit you particularly well, as would jewel tones, if you like them. You have one of the few complexions that can actually carry off bright yellow, as well. If you enjoy bold colors, take advantage of that.

There's some solid advice here about where to shop, too. You can find some amazing buys at thrift stores, particularly in affluent neighborhoods. Not only is it a way to save money, it's great fun, like a treasure hunt. I am much prouder of wonderful things I've found for pennies on the dollar than I would ever be of the same items at retail.

Happy shopping!

Old 08-06-2017, 09:27 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,538,052 times
Land's End is your friend. https://www.landsend.com

They have sturdy khakis & decent polos & button downs. Get a few polo shirts in clear dark colors & a couple pairs of chinos in khaki and you're good to go in a vet's office. You can also get long sleeved polos for winter. I would think button down shirts harder to keep clean & less durable than mesh polos.

If you happen to get blood on anything, hydrogen peroxide poured on stain, before laundering in cold water, will get it out.

I would think a light hiker or sturdy sneaker in dark brown/dark green would be way to go....though look at what everyone else there wears.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:54 PM

430 posts, read 335,881 times
Thanks for the color and clothing suggestions offered, I'll definitely hit up a few thrift stores tomorrow and see what they got available in my size.

Also thanks for the future website reference. Based on prices, I can't reasonably try buying even a pair of socks from them as it'll destroy my already struggling bank account. Probably would in the future when I'm making more but, for now, it's just going to be bookmarked for later.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:28 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,693,385 times
Quote:
Thanks for the color and clothing suggestions offered, I'll definitely hit up a few thrift stores tomorrow and see what they got available in my size.

Also thanks for the future website reference. Based on prices, I can't reasonably try buying even a pair of socks from them as it'll destroy my already struggling bank account. Probably would in the future when I'm making more but, for now, it's just going to be bookmarked for later.
You may even be able to find unused socks with the price tag attached at a Goodwill in an affluent neighborhood. People often buy far more than they need and, when clearing out the closet and drawers, donate the rest.

Merchants may even donate to thrifts. This also applies to shirts, slacks, sweaters, etc. Make multiple trips. Also, check a dollar store to see if they have a few affordable pairs of socks to tie you over until your paycheck comes in. Additionally, since your manager is ok with sneakers, you might want to hold off on buying slip-resistant shoes for a while, if that was ever to be done.

Since money is tight right now, even if yo get pants and shirts from Goodwill, you might want to just get a few pairs of slacks and wash them often.

Also, you might want to chip-in with a relative to buy a Costco membership at some point. That way, In the future, you'd be able to buy bundles of socks at a reasonable price.

Good luck!

Last edited by pacific2; 08-06-2017 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty