Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 12:21 PM

20,770 posts, read 19,995,431 times

Advertisements

I noticed that lately, too. Don't like it. But I don't like any of the other trends either (big beards, baggy pants, homeless look)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 12:51 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,499,397 times
Not really a fan of slim pants for guys. then again my guy is a brawny guy so slim pants isn't an option.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:48 PM

29,537 posts, read 14,684,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I first saw this a few months back but notice it's catching on more and more. My work dress code is business casual and some obviously go even more casual.

I see quite a few men wearing really tight pants that stop about 2-3" above their ankles when standing and even higher when sitting. It's sometimes dress pants or maybe even more casual pants. They usually match this up with some kind of loafer and no socks and an untucked shirt on top. Most of the guys doing this have big thick beards and short hair on top I've noticed. They also do this same look with suits, with the pants being really short and extremely tight and no socks on the dress shoes.

Is anyone seeing this elsewhere?

I'm so out of the loop with my somewhat baggy pants and tucked in button up shirts. I probably truly look like a geek.

That whole skinny / floods fit for pants is just horrible. Just because the hipsters are doing it doesn't mean that it's a good look.

I'll stick to my cuffed "straight" jeans, handmade boots and a flannel (winter wear), and no beard.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:51 PM

29,537 posts, read 14,684,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Regarding the suit jackets and blazers, I'm just glad the the boxy, off-the-rack look with shoulders, sleeves, waist, and overall length being too big that 80% of the population wears is being exposed for as ugly as it is.

Sure some people have been going too slim the last few years. But I'm much more happy that having a jacket that is actually tailored to fit a man's body is back in style. I've always preferred mine very closely tailored. Some may say it's too small, to me it actually just fits how a jacket is supposed to fit.

Tailored is nice but some people can't figure that one out... I hate seeing someone walk thru the office, and the button on their jacket looking like it's going to shoot off like a projectile and take someone out.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:58 PM

1,347 posts, read 946,979 times
We had a summer intern here last year who was sporting that look (no socks, highwaters). Our office is business casual but not quite that "fashion forward" and I had the privilege of telling him that he needed to start wearing socks and probably longer pants (after one of my colleagues informed me that guys not wearing socks was one of the pet peeves of one of the senior execs in my upline).

Old 02-07-2018, 03:40 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,241,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I first saw this a few months back but notice it's catching on more and more. My work dress code is business casual and some obviously go even more casual.

I see quite a few men wearing really tight pants that stop about 2-3" above their ankles when standing and even higher when sitting. It's sometimes dress pants or maybe even more casual pants. They usually match this up with some kind of loafer and no socks and an untucked shirt on top. Most of the guys doing this have big thick beards and short hair on top I've noticed. They also do this same look with suits, with the pants being really short and extremely tight and no socks on the dress shoes.

Is anyone seeing this elsewhere?

I'm so out of the loop with my somewhat baggy pants and tucked in button up shirts. I probably truly look like a geek.

It's a hipster thing. I see it all over Venice and Santa Monica. I HATE that look on guys. To each their own, though, I guess.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:07 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,451,290 times
Men shouldn't wear capri pants, IMO.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:24 PM

50 posts, read 30,636 times
If I were 50 pounds lighter, and 40 years younger, I might consider a pair of those for casual wear. As I am now, I’ll pass, thanks.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:46 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,521,618 times
As someone who is shorter and lighter than average I'm grateful that I can now easily find slacks, suits, and blazers that really fit well and look good, instead of everything fitting me like a sack of potatoes. It always seemed to me that standard-fit chinos or slacks aren't properly downsized for smaller men, and I absolutely hated what I call the "Docker Fit"--i.e., breaks fine over my shoes when standing, but hikes up past my socks when I sit down.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:37 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,975,060 times
I understand that this look is not really one for conservative workplaces, but really, the air in here seems a little... stuffy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty