Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 08:00 PM

836 posts, read 1,119,704 times

Advertisements

Who gets to judge what is totally inappropriate? Why do we need to let others dictate what we choose to wear? Just because you don't feel comfortable or want to wear certain attire when you are 'old' doesn't give you the license to criticize other women that do.

Can we all just quit criticizing older women? Let's start criticizing how men dress at all ages.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:49 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I'm 61 and in very good shape. But I think it's tacky and reeks of desperation to wear tight or revealing clothing past a certain age.

In order to avoid the "mutton dressed as lamb" look, I wear knee length shorts and skirts, and avoid anything that's low cut and skin tight.
I think it's tacky and reeks of desperation at any age, so it wouldn't bother me to see any age any more than another.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:50 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Who gets to judge what is totally inappropriate? Why do we need to let others dictate what we choose to wear? Just because you don't feel comfortable or want to wear certain attire when you are 'old' doesn't give you the license to criticize other women that do.

Can we all just quit criticizing older women? Let's start criticizing how men dress at all ages.
Since when is 40-45 old?

Old 10-06-2017, 04:18 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post

we have hahah...

Old 10-06-2017, 05:59 AM

1,122 posts, read 961,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
When I see extremely old men with women young enough to be their daughters, I nearly gag. Example: Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones. No matter how old she gets, she'll never look as old as he does now.

Or Hugh Hefner and anyone. Ugh.

And we have another example in the White House. Politics aside, that's an unattractively-matched couple.
I think Pres. Trump and First Lady make a beautiful couple and besides it's not about being attractive matched couple.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:22 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,000,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
IF people are lucky, they'll be "old" someday.
Just had to say, I love this philosophy.

And, good luck to your sister.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:31 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,070,314 times
I can understand why some of the posters said it's no one's business how people dress but for the purposes of THIS forum, it's not a relevant response. The OP posted this in the Fashion forum where people give opinions of various fashions. The whole purpose of this forum is to say Nay or Yay about certain fashions, many women want to see this information. If you answer every thread with the "MYOB" response, then what's the purpose of this forum? It doesn't make sense to just disregard all responses. The topic could easily fit into another forum too, such as Current Events i.e. why are women who are beating the drum about women's equality so anxious to show their cleavage or why are older women perceived as no longer sexy.

However, just responding to the fashion appropriateness of skimpy/revealing clothing. There is a BIG difference between having a svelte, slim body and wearing slim cut jeans with a slim cut tank top versus wearing booty shorts and a top that bares your cleavage. The first look is chic and attractive. The second look is just plain skanky.

There is NO need whatsoever to bare your cleavage and part of your lower half in order to tell the world that you've been working out or in order to feel feminine and attractive. NO need whatsoever. And, the good thing about appropriate fashions is that any woman can look svelte, chic, and attractive at any age. One doesn't have to be 22 to look good in appropriate styles.

It is a choice...do you want to look nice/attractive? Or do you want to look skanky?

My biggest concern with skimpy/revealing fashions is that the women wearing these are allowing objectification of women. They may argue otherwise but let's be honest. Men will ogle. Don't pretend that you aren't wearing this stuff to attract men. Don't say "I'm wearing these to feel good about myself." what hogwash. Women will never have true equality in our world if they continue to show cleavage and lower parts of their body. It's just not respectful to yourself or to other women to dress like that.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I think hoochy mama clothes are tasteless at any age but I don't see how it's wrong for any woman at any age to wear clothes that show off her assets.

It's not my business what other people wear as long as they're not breaking any laws!

Back in the day, women who were, say over 40, dressed in very matronly clothes and "sensible shoes" and looked 20 years older than they really were. I don't know why but I do think it was a sad mindset. My grandmothers were both beautiful women with striking figures - I mean they really were. But I look at photos of them when they were my age and they were clearly dressing like "older women" and no - it wasn't particularly attractive. They could have looked so much prettier if they'd dressed to maximize their beauty rather than "dressing their age" whatever the heck that means.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:37 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,982 times
I don't think any age woman should dress like that... but I know what you mean about age.. I've also seen older men in their 50s and 60s trying to dress and act in a way as if they're 25 instead of 45 or 55.. that looks kind of pitiful to me when I see a man who's say 50 who is dressed and acting in a way that's more how a 20 or at the most 30 yr old would-- it has the appearance of trying too hard to pass themselves off as still young- using language like "wow that's bad a**, dude check it out ..." wearing a skateboard motif tshirt. To me it doesn't make them appear young, it just makes them look like a middle aged guy who is trying too hard to prove to himself he's still young but the receding hairline and beer gut gives him away lol

Old 10-06-2017, 08:20 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
Women have to use their physical assets if they want to attract or keep the interest of a male. That's just a fact.
If they are single--at any age--and want to get a mate they have to advertise that they are available.
Of course some married/partnered women also like to show they got it too and their partners like how they look.

I wear skirts above my knee at 62 because I look horrible in longer skirts but not so short that cellulite is showing.
Europeans have a dress code that says choose either a short skirt or a low cut top, BUT NOT BOTH. I cannot remember how to express this in Spanish but that's where I first heard it (and of course the English say "mutton dressed as lamb" but they are very uptight there haha).

You wanna see 70 to 80 year old "cougars" dressed in expensive miniskirts and f-me heels go to Naples Fl in January-March at any happy hour in the downtown area. If you are male you will be like a flower to the bees and they are "B"'s if ya know whattamean. Some women have been valued for their looks their whole life, that's all they know, men are not interested in their brains.

I dress down now, not looking for attention, but I remember when I was 20-something and getting male attention was thrilling. When you are 20 you could wear a sack and be attractive, you are young!

I like that women can choose how to dress but it can really be weird to see someone skinny well dressed hottie-style turn around and their face is 75 while their body is 25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.