Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 10:34 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Earlier today I was doing some shopping and running some errands. When I was checking out there was a woman in front of me that was probably 40-45 but she was wearing a very low-cut top and booty shorts. Granted, she seemed to be in shape and good for her age, but nevertheless, after a certain age is it really appropriate for women to be wearing very skimpy/revealing things? Say about 35 but 40 at the latest?
Are you a female yourself?

Old 09-30-2017, 10:48 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
So now somebody who is 40 is "older"?
I have a friend , 40 , and probably have the hottest body I ever seen. Swimsuit model look. She is a gym rat , spends lots of time transforming her body. She looks amazing in tight "revealing" clothing. I believe if you got it, you flaunt it. She obviously works hard to keep her body looking nice.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:07 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,821,905 times
What a non-issue. Dress how you want if it is legal. Fashion shouldn't come with age guidelines.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So now somebody who is 40 is "older"?
I have a friend , 40 , and probably have the hottest body I ever seen. Swimsuit model look. She is a gym rat , spends lots of time transforming her body. She looks amazing in tight "revealing" clothing. I believe if you got it, you flaunt it. She obviously works hard to keep her body looking nice.
Yup.
I live in a rich area and belong to a country club and the number of women in their 40s and 50s who are insanely in shape around here is mind-blowing.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:42 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
I don't think 40 is old at all. I was one with the great bod in her 40's and 50's, now things are settling

Someone asked about why young can wear it but not old. Things settle, Certain outfits make you look like mutton trying to be lambs.

Large breasts (had them) start making one look matronly. Trust me.

I think those of us who grew up in the 60's and 70's were taught to dress for our body type. And kids obviously aren't taught that now.

Just cause it comes in your size, doesn't mean you should wear it.

At 60, I have buried so many friends, college roommate, clients, relatives, I'm just embracing being alive.

Don't need to prove anything and don't want the attention I used to get. Got a husband, he's the only one I care about pleasing. Thank God I'm now ignoring the pressure and the competition so many women live their lives in.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:05 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yup.
I live in a rich area and belong to a country club and the number of women in their 40s and 50s who are insanely in shape around here is mind-blowing.
Your area is notorious for this phenomenon ! Enjoy.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:07 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
I think people should get off other peoples' jocks. Who gives a rat's firm and furry behind what some stranger wears?

Old 09-30-2017, 12:13 PM

948 posts, read 921,778 times
Quote:
after a certain age is it really appropriate for women to be wearing very skimpy/revealing things? Say about 35 but 40 at the latest?
Sounds like age discrimination to me.

You should live in Japan. They have very different fashion guidelines for women of different ages, and marital statuses. The age groupings go something like this : preteens, teens, early 20s, mid-late 20s, 30 to early middle age, mid-late middle age, and elderly. Your age group will determine not only how skimpy an outfit you can wear, but also what colors and patterns you are expected to adhere to.

After locating your age group, determine if you are married or not. If you are married, you must dress much more conservatively than unmarried women in your age group. You should never wear anything too short, too tight, or with any hint of cleavage. Married women should never wear bright colors either. (And of course, married women must never, ever wear the kimono with the fancy designs and super long sleeves! Those are for young single women only!)

If you are married, do you have children? Mothers have special fashion requirements of their own. I have seen young mothers with trendy hairstyles and tight clothing, but some people see them as trashy, and they have trouble getting their kids into the good kindergartens. Good mothers tend to wear clothing that hides the shape of their body, usually tunic tops in dark neutral colors. They tend to wear those tunic tops over long sleeved shirts, and with long pants and long skirts, even on hot summer days. Jackets, hats, scarves (even in summer) are also very popular with moms. Parenting magazines often have articles about mom fashion.

As a non-Japanese, you can get away with ignoring most of these social rules, unless you have a Japanese mother-in-law.

Japan is not the only country where women are expected to dress differently according to age and marital status though, and some countries may be very strict about adherence to such codes of dress.

I'm an American and was raised to value freedom and independence, so I think women should be able to wear whatever makes them happy.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
At the heart of this 'controversy' is the lingering sentiment that women outlive their sexual usefulness (and perhaps all usefulness in the eyes of some men) after childbearing age passes. So no one wants to be reminded of their existence. Certainly not in a sexual way.

Same reason very few movies with actresses over 40 as the lead.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:27 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Earlier today I was doing some shopping and running some errands. When I was checking out there was a woman in front of me that was probably 40-45 but she was wearing a very low-cut top and booty shorts. Granted, she seemed to be in shape and good for her age, but nevertheless, after a certain age is it really appropriate for women to be wearing very skimpy/revealing things? Say about 35 but 40 at the latest?
If you look good in what you wear and you wear outfits appropriate to the occasion and venue, I would think that's that.

If I am 30 and dressed like this woman, but am in grotesque physical shape so that I look ridiculous in the outfit, and this woman looks good I don't understand why there is a consideration of "a certain age" and "appropriate." Strikes me that thirty-year-old me is the one who is inappropriately dressed if it comes to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty