Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 03:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Lots of stuff on sale. To bad almost of all of it is horribly ugly. What is with al of the randomly placed ruffles and giant bell sleeves. And then jeans with the weird asymmetrical distressed hem.

What happened to basic shapes?
The two coats I bought are not ugly. One of them is quite basic, and I simply love it. The raincoat is stylish but functional. I think you can find things you like. Try a different store or outlet? I would never wear large ruffles at the neckline or angel sleeves. But I think there some basic shapes available now. I did buy a simple long sleeved shirt, which is a classic. The material was a pretty print though, and I just loved how it looked on me. I hope you find some things you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Clothing prices have dropped considerably over the past two decades, as more is outsourced to overseas factories. It's not unusual to get brand new jeans for $10 or a new dress for $20, which is what these items cost in the 1960s. In some ways, it's not really a good thing at all, as far as what it means for jobs and our economy. A lot of labor done overseas is exploitive, children are making these clothes, as well as adults who are paid next to nothing. That's why the clothing is so cheap. I find it far more ethical to purchase second hand and go to thrift stores.
I shop the local Goodwill. I am wearing a fleece jacket as I type this, that I found at the GW. I do not get the cheaper prices though that others have posted about. I usually pay about $7 for most items.

I try not to buy clothing from Kohl's or Dress Barn, even though they are the most convenient places to buy for me. I will be visiting the Pendleton Outlet about 30 minutes away though. I like their clothes. Their fit is a bit snug in the back for me, and it is small in the waist as well. But sometimes, in the past, I was able to find things I liked that I could wear.

Since clothing has gotten cheaper in general, why not shop at the next level? Pay a little more for better clothes? But I see nothing wrong with buying second hand if that works for you.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:53 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I love some of the muddy colors I see these days. I like the muddy greens more than the browns, though. I hope you enjoy your new shirt.
Darker or more neutral colors for Fall are not unique to IZOD; they are the norm for the fashion industry. Spring on the other hand is about the bright colors and pastels.

However, some higher-end fashion companies in recent years have introduced a separate Pre-Fall collection for their women's lines. Pre-Fall has similar colors to Fall, but are intended for warmer weather.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Just FYI for thrift shoppers, Salvation army is considerably cheaper than goodwill, especially on tag sales days, and more of your your money actually goes to hep people rather than to ridiculous executive salaries. Salvation army you may have to pick through more to find good stuff (depends on the level of the store), but they often have top name brands. I got some $200 Rockport dresss shoes for $13; my son found some $200 plus running shoes for $50, but we waited for a tag sale and someone else bought them. You have to go often because they do not have a big selection of sizes in the good stuff, and it sells almost instantly.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The two coats I bought are not ugly. One of them is quite basic, and I simply love it. The raincoat is stylish but functional. I think you can find things you like. Try a different store or outlet? I would never wear large ruffles at the neckline or angel sleeves. But I think there some basic shapes available now. I did buy a simple long sleeved shirt, which is a classic. The material was a pretty print though, and I just loved how it looked on me. I hope you find some things you like.
This season has been a bust for me. So few normal things. It could be regional. I have been to all of the stores in my typical rotation and I haven't found much I like, things I am wanted to wait to go on sale....

I tried to find a shirt to wear with my holiday party outfit, and found nothing. Luckily I found a great fitting black lace dress, so I guess I'll be returning the skirt. I did want to do something different, but that wasn't in the cards.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Darker or more neutral colors for Fall are not unique to IZOD; they are the norm for the fashion industry. Spring on the other hand is about the bright colors and pastels.

However, some higher-end fashion companies in recent years have introduced a separate Pre-Fall collection for their women's lines. Pre-Fall has similar colors to Fall, but are intended for warmer weather.

I’ll have to pay attention to release dates. I admit I pay more attention to catalog fashions than stuff I see in stores.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:02 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Just FYI for thrift shoppers, Salvation army is considerably cheaper than goodwill, especially on tag sales days, and more of your your money actually goes to hep people rather than to ridiculous executive salaries. Salvation army you may have to pick through more to find good stuff (depends on the level of the store), but they often have top name brands. I got some $200 Rockport dresss shoes for $13; my son found some $200 plus running shoes for $50, but we waited for a tag sale and someone else bought them. You have to go often because they do not have a big selection of sizes in the good stuff, and it sells almost instantly.
Maybe your Salvation Army is better - I've gone in the local one and just can't deal w/racks that are only "kind of" separated by color - I don't want to look through all that stuff to see if there are any small sizes. Goodwill is overpriced I agree but at least they try to sort it by color and size.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:17 AM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Anyone else have better luck with thrift stores over department stores.
I love thrift stores. I don't feel like I'm buying the exact same thing as everyone else is this season (well, it's whatever people were buying several seasons ago, but I don't follow trends, so it works out OK).

I love that they have summer clothes in the winter and fleece jackets during a heat wave.

I also "refashion"--rework a dress or skirt into a top or pants or???

Our local reuse center (at the dump) used to have a great deal; $2 for 25 lbs of clothes. I found a trove of '80s dresses there one day that turned into great blouses!

Old 11-23-2017, 03:42 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
FYI, I know this might sound like fear mongering, but:

if you shop at second hand stores, before you try anything on, check the clothing for bed bugs hidden in the folds and inside along the seams.

A friend of mine ended up with them from our local second hand store when she tried on a few sweaters. She alerted the store of course but I'm not sure what action was taken, if any.

Now I look like an inspector when I'm looking at trying on clothes there.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:12 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
FYI, I know this might sound like fear mongering, but:

if you shop at second hand stores, before you try anything on, check the clothing for bed bugs hidden in the folds and inside along the seams.

A friend of mine ended up with them from our local second hand store when she tried on a few sweaters. She alerted the store of course but I'm not sure what action was taken, if any.
Now I look like an inspector when I'm looking at trying on clothes there.

That is exactly why I wash everything in hot water and bleach when I take the tags off and we don't put anything on until after it is washed and bleached . I ve never had a problem doing this before we even put it away in our closet . I started doing this after my sister in law got a rash of some sort when she bought a shirt from the local thrift store and broke out in the rash after that I started washing and bleaching everything . I also clean any nick nacks and lamps outside before bringing them into the house , Yes I am a cleaning fool when it comes to stuff like that and I'm sure that is why nothing has ever been found .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty