Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:10 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times

Advertisements

Yes, I will Google also - but i'd like to hear if anyone has experience with any certain brands or types.

Since i retired, i don't wear a lot of makeup - i wear a bit when i go out someplace special. I rarely wear foundation.

I was using Bare Minerals for my "foundation" for a while, but i'd like to find something 'creamy' - if there is anything - that works good for an older face of 58. Wrinkles, age spots, fine lines, broken blood vessels etc. I don't want something to look like a mask, i'd rather go bare-faced. I don't want to look ghostly white or orange either. I always have problems with all of these... (I don't expect total coverage without getting the look of spackle, but something in between would be good.)

Any suggestions on brands or types? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 06:19 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
I recently bought into the hype and tried the Fenty brand. I was underwhelmed, to be honest. It's okay, but I wouldn't purchase it again. I went back to my L'Oréal True Match. I like how it blends and doesn't make my face feel cakey or dry.
Stila and Nars are both good in my opinion, too, but pricier than the drugstore brands and I don't like spending so much on makeup anymore.
I love the Sephora brand gel blush as well as Benefit's Benetint for cheeks. It's more of a stain and you can get away with wearing less foundation because your skin has some color and glow.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:12 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I’m really not happy with foundation at all. It feels all wrong. And try as I might, I can’t get the knack of blending. I put it on, and blend it off. That’s why I hate sponges and brushes. But my last gasp is NYX drop foundation. It’s a very thin liquid. Blends well with fingers. Comes in a lot of colors. Let your face cream dry well, or the foundation will roll up and won’t go on.

I don’t have an issue with using blush, eye shadow and mascara. Just foundation and concealer make me crazy. Actually concealer is worse. Part of me wonders if it’s because today’s makeup is supposed to be healing and it’s trying to pack so much into it that there’s too much goo on my face. Part of me thinks it's because as my face sags, my pores are getting larger and makeup sits in the pores and makes me look less smooth. Tried primer, just more layers of goo.

My skin is sensitive, and dry/normal. But if I treat it as dry, it goes oily. So adding more layers of something heavy doesn’t work. Trying to use stuff for oily skin makes my skin go dry. And it seems I cant find anything for normal skin.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:21 AM

410 posts, read 343,673 times
I use a tinted moisturizer that has an SPF of 55 from Clarins called Sunscreen Multi-Protection Tint. It is pricey at $45, but one bottle will last me about 8 months, and that is with me wearing it everyday. It provides a very light coverage, but it does cover. It doesn't really seep into wrinkles, either. For reference, I am in my early 50s and I have been very pleased with this product. Best to you!

Old 12-07-2017, 05:42 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
What about that airbrushed make up kit they advertise on TV? I have never cared for cream foundation because it always felt thick to me.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I was going to suggest the L'Oreal True Match. It comes in all kinds of shades, and is very lightweight and sheer, you can build coverage. Highly recommend if you need liquid. I have used it, but my skin is oily and I prefer their powder minerals (which are excellent, by the way).

Old 12-07-2017, 08:00 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I don't like foundation and don't wear it anymore. I have noticed that it tends to highlight flaws that weren't visible before, while other products like sheer powder and concealer do a great job of covering up the issues I would want foundation for.

I have oily skin and I use under-eye concealer, matte powder blush, and the Maybelline Shine-Free powder on my face. I have gotten compliments from older ladies on my complexion, so that told me that the foundation step wasn't really necessary.

I do avoid "frosted" powders and blushes.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 12-07-2017 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-07-2017, 08:11 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Maybe a BB or CC cream would work for you--basically a tinted moisturizer with some other benefits, but not heavy or masky.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:26 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Yes, I will Google also - but i'd like to hear if anyone has experience with any certain brands or types.

Since i retired, i don't wear a lot of makeup - i wear a bit when i go out someplace special. I rarely wear foundation.

I was using Bare Minerals for my "foundation" for a while, but i'd like to find something 'creamy' - if there is anything - that works good for an older face of 58. Wrinkles, age spots, fine lines, broken blood vessels etc. I don't want something to look like a mask, i'd rather go bare-faced. I don't want to look ghostly white or orange either. I always have problems with all of these... (I don't expect total coverage without getting the look of spackle, but something in between would be good.)

Any suggestions on brands or types? Thanks.
I'm 56 and I love Lancôme's foundation. It's creamy, provides good coverage, without making my face look like an oil slick.

I have dry skin so I do have to be careful. I do set it with a touch of loose powder.

My two fave Lancôme foundations are Absolue which goes on like a dream, and provides coverage for all imperfections while remaining a bit 'dewey.

My second favorite in Lancôme Renergie - which does not provide as much coverage.

I have tried so MANY foundations. I use to love Estee Lauder's but they quit carrying my color. Dior. Sheseido, I can't even name them all. But I'm sticking with these for a while.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:22 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
I have mild rosacea so I wear a little foundation because it evens up the skin tones and more importantly, I’ve found that it acts as a buffer between my skin and the environment that moisturizer alone doesn’t do. I use bare minerals tinted hydrating gel cream on the areas needed and blend well. It’s not really on my whole face.

Curious about trying Georgio Armani Maestro Fusion makeup...supposed to be wonderful for aging skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty