Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:34 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Are neck ties going out?
NO. More and more companies are moving to business casual attire which basically eliminates the need for a neck tie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 09:48 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I see more and more men in jackets and suits that ditch the neck tie. I hate wearing ties as they are so constricting, so I am glad for this...
I see your point but it means that so many won't have even a splash of color.

Although I do see some men wearing subtle plaid suits.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:47 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
NO. More and more companies are moving to business casual attire which basically eliminates the need for a neck tie.
????? NO, ties aren't going out, but the need for them is being eliminated?

Old 02-21-2018, 12:48 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
2 solutions...shirt and pocket square.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:47 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,112,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

Although I do see some men wearing subtle plaid suits.
...reminds me of Nathan Lane in Bird Cage, when he dressed in a suit for the wedding and he had pink socks.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:58 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,324,191 times
My company is a very big company. The leaders, CEO, COO and the president (the owner) don't wear necktie everyday at work and at the parties. I noticed that the only times they wore tie were the times they attended funerals.

I like this causal but still professional environment. It's easier to move around, and so you can do your work more productively. Wearing suit and tie and formal dress and nylons make everybody look stiff and uptight.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:11 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Holy Cow! I have been asleep since 1982, and upon awaking I find that a lot of men don't wear neckties any more! What's up with that, anyway?

Old 02-23-2018, 10:50 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
My company is a very big company. The leaders, CEO, COO and the president (the owner) don't wear necktie everyday at work and at the parties. I noticed that the only times they wore tie were the times they attended funerals.

I like this causal but still professional environment. It's easier to move around, and so you can do your work more productively. Wearing suit and tie and formal dress and nylons make everybody look stiff and uptight.

Couldn't agree more. I don't mind a tie once in a while but I like the flexibility of lets say wearing a sport coat and shirt or a sweater with dress shirt or slacks and a nice shirt OR a vest with a dress shirt..there are so many choices here without reverting to a tie. As long as one looks clean, neat and gets the work done, that's all that matters. We as a society spend too much time conflating and equating professionalism with wearing an expensive suit to work each day and that's so far removed from the truth. Granted, dress is a small slice of the professionalism pie but there are so many other elements as well.

It's funny how the mood of my office changes from mandatory tie day to relaxed dress..the work still gets done and it has no adverse effect on production. As a matter of fact, productivity seems to spike when folks are more relaxed...

Last edited by Gil3; 02-23-2018 at 11:14 AM..

Old 02-23-2018, 11:04 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
I ditched the traditional necktie many years ago.
There should be a black one around here somewhere that goes with my old Army dress uniform (the one all the King's horses and all the King's men could not stuff me in to with several shoehorns).
I do, however, have several Western style bolo ties that I occasionally wear. The nice thing about them is that they can be worn without buttoning the collar button, and that is the way I wear them. No choking at all.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:32 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I ditched the traditional necktie many years ago.
There should be a black one around here somewhere that goes with my old Army dress uniform (the one all the King's horses and all the King's men could not stuff me in to with several shoehorns).
I do, however, have several Western style bolo ties that I occasionally wear. The nice thing about them is that they can be worn without buttoning the collar button, and that is the way I wear them. No choking at all.
I never close the top button when I have to wear a tie and no one notices. Now I couldn't have gotten away with that in the military lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty