Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 04:25 PM

454 posts, read 449,189 times

Advertisements

I'm about 5'8. I wear shorts a lot. The shorts that i wear are from banana republic and i wear a 32'. The thing is those shorts fall a bit below my kneecaps etc. I have to get a new pair or maybe 2 pairs of shorts and was at Gap recently. They had shorts that were 7 inch, 10 inch and 12 inch. I knew the 7 inch was way too short as male shorts and i thought 10 inch one would be the right ones. I then noticed these are about 2 inches or so above my kneecap. My first instinct was these are way too short. Then i tried the 12 inch one and it fall below my kneecap.

First off, where are men's shorts suppose to fall? These are khaki/stone color shorts so you all know probably what im talking about as those are the most popular colors. I had thought 12' was way too long and baggy. Interestingly enough, it fit just a bit looser than my banana republic ones

So are shorts suppose to end about 1 or 2 inch above the kneecap? If so, i had no idea about this. I always thought shorts were suppose to cover the kneecap by just a bit? Also the thing is in the model picture they would advertise how the model is wearing a 32. But because the model is usually 6'1 or 6'2, well does that mean that someone my height should be wearing 12 inch shorts? Not sure if my wording is right but basically there are either 7, 10 or 12 inch for shorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 04:28 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Wear what you are comfortable with and do not give a thought to what *trend/fashion/anyone else* says the rules are.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:11 PM

Well i wanted to know, are men's shorts suppose to really end above the kneecaps? I always thought it should cover the kneecaps just by a little bit etc. I always wore it that way. I seen guys wear very short shorts and those are not comfortable and not good looking. But i did not know shorts where you have kneecap showing was how its suppose to be?

I always felt comfortable wearing shorts where it cover kneecaps. But is it not suppose is my question.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:23 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Well i wanted to know, are men's shorts suppose to really end above the kneecaps? I always thought it should cover the kneecaps just by a little bit etc. I always wore it that way. I seen guys wear very short shorts and those are not comfortable and not good looking. But i did not know shorts where you have kneecap showing was how its suppose to be?

I always felt comfortable wearing shorts where it cover kneecaps. But is it not suppose is my question.
I have never heard that a man's kneecaps should be covered.

The shorter version was in style last summer and seems to still be on track this year. It just takes getting used to and may require different shoes than you're used to wearing.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:23 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Yeah, wear what you want, but even longer shorts, like bermuda shorts, hit above the knee. Lots of guys wear long long, shorts to the point that they look like capri pants, but IMO that looks sloppy.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...-web&fr=mcafee

Have a look. There are plenty of styles and lengths. I don't see this as being an absolute.

On short men, I personally think that longer shorts are not flattering. I'd say that an inch or so above the knee might be OK. But, aren't cargo shorts usually worn longer?

The men in my life do not like to try things on in a store, but that is what I would recommend you do. Look at several pairs in two or three stores, and figure out where you like to wear the length. And, if you really like a pair of shorts, but they are too long, it is pretty easy to find a tailor to shorten them to the length you prefer.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:31 PM

Hi there. You say an inch or so above the knee might be okay. So how many inches above the knee is it suppose to be? The thing was i thought khaki shorts were suppose to be around the kneecap thus either cover the kneecap by a bit or right on it. I did not know the kneecaps are suppose to be shown?

Old 03-19-2018, 06:33 PM

I actually went to a gap to try shorts that are 10 inches and 12 inches. At first look i thought the 10 inches was what i normally wore. Then then it was like 2 inches above my kneecap. My first thought was these are way too short because i always wore shorts where it covered my kneecap. Then when i tried the 12 inch shorts, it covered my kneecap. But then i thought okay have i been wearing shorts too long? The thing is i always thought these shorts were right for me etc in terms of size etc. I always though its suppose to cover the kneecaps. Obviously if it was much longer than that, that would be ridiculous etc.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
But then i thought okay have i been wearing shorts too long?
Yes.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:55 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
As long as your khakis don't make you look like Lt. Dangle, you'll be OK. https://www.google.com/search?q=Lt.+...w=1398&bih=819

Shorter shorts are popular with young, upper middle class, athletic, securely hetero men, like the exhaustingly heterosexual and dangerously-hot Mr. Dan Bilzerian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_tb3Cvlbgc

Just above the knee, is considered standard for men's shorts, but nobody really cares if you get it exact. You're free to fine-tune, to get the look that works best for you.

Longer shorts appeal mostly to homophobic subcultures, or for Gay men who (maybe because they were terrorized, as kids, by members of the homophobic subcultures, and want to look as straight as possible) are built like tanks, dress in camo, and drive tank-like vehicles (https://www.google.com/search?q=merc...ih=819&dpr=1.2.) I don't think that any of my Gay male friends even OWN any shorts that aren't long cargo shorts (and most of them are camo).

A few elderly men, who haven't bought clothes since the Seventies, have Lt.-Dangle-Length shorts. But such guys are an anomaly, and, more than likely, they're straight - just oblivious to fashion.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 03-19-2018 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty