Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 AM

6,424 posts, read 4,917,410 times

Advertisements

As someone who has spent 45+ years in the optical business there are a few things you need to know. As far as cheapo readers go, if you have little to no astigmatism, your prescription is reasonably close in both eyes and you eyes are an average distance apart they will work just fine. Just look at the chart or paper and try them on until you find one that suits you. If the prescription is low enough +1.00 to +2.00 it shouldn't matter all that much. When you get into the higher powers +2.00 and up you may get prism since the readers have a set PD (pupilary distance) distance between your eyes. If you eyes are close together you may have issues. It depends on your tolerance. We sold readers in our practice for those who needed them over contacts. Many people swear by them and they will always be around.
For those wondering why you can't just walk into an Optical store and say "put a pair of +2.00 in my frame". You have to by law (at least in NY State) have an Rx that isn't expired. What happens if you can't see out of those +2.00? You can't ask for a refund since all they did was what you asked. You need an eye exam, plus they will check your eye health.
As far as computer glasses go. They are totally different from readers. Readers are 12-14 inches, computers are 20-26 inches. The further away the weaker the Rx. Usually they are .50 weaker than readers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Debsi, I wear 4.0 readers. You can buy readers up to a 5.0 online without a prescription, just like you can do at the drugstore for readers up to a 3.0. You don't need to buy custom, prescription prices unless you want to.

Amazon has many choices in these higher power readers at very reasonable prices. Bought four pairs at $12 to keep all around the house.

Zenni and peepers.com have some that go up to 4.0. ipipzi stops at 3.0 like retail stores. Readers.com goes up to 4.0 and has some with .25 increments for the higher ranges.

I just discovered readers made especially for putting on makeup at readers.com! I use a magnifying mirror at home, but it's a problem when we travel. I'll be picking these up, along with a pair of 4.0 reader sunglasses. (ETA:. Makeup readers only available up to 3.0.

I had to wear readers starting at only 36. It's damn frustrating.
I did find a place from amazon that will make me custom readers for $15, thanks to this thread, though of course they are not anywhere near as cute as my rx Lisa Loeb frames.

I used to get headaches because my good eye was doing all the work.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:05 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Check out Peepers, an American company with high quality American-made product.

https://www.peepers.com/?gclid=Cj0KC...saAhqoEALw_wcB

Old 04-03-2018, 12:36 PM

6,424 posts, read 4,917,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Peepers, an American company with high quality American-made product.

https://www.peepers.com/?gclid=Cj0KC...saAhqoEALw_wcB
I looked over their website and nowhere did I see anything about being American Made. As far as I know there are no American Companies even making frames and lenses anymore. At these prices I am sure they come from overseas. They may edge the lenses here using foreign made lenses and frames but I am almost sure they don't use American Made products.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:58 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
As far as computer glasses go. They are totally different from readers. Readers are 12-14 inches, computers are 20-26 inches. The further away the weaker the Rx. Usually they are .50 weaker than readers.
I don't know why anyone would need readers for their computer.

Hold the "Control" button and hit the plus sign and the font will increase and get darker. To make smaller hold "Control" and hit the minus button.

Simple, easy, fix.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:21 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I don't know why anyone would need readers for their computer.

Hold the "Control" button and hit the plus sign and the font will increase and get darker. To make smaller hold "Control" and hit the minus button.

Simple, easy, fix.
Less fits on the screen that way. I do layout design, and need to be able to see as much of the page view as possible. But when zoomed, out, everything can get fuzzy.

Plus computer readers can come with blue light blocking filters, which helps for eyestrain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty