Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 09:02 AM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The last time someone took a candid photo of me, it was responsible for causing a herd of camels to stampede, a gaggle of geese to migrate north in the wintertime, and six people needed therapy after seeing it. So the answer is, no.

Edit to add: OK, I did have one photo taken of me that looked OK. It was a selfie taken in the mirror and I tilted my head up so you couldn't see my quadruple chins. You also got a good look up both my nostrils. Not sure that's a picture I want to show anyone, though.
You live near camels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 09:04 AM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I hit my full height of 6'1" at 14. It was awful. Took a long time as an adult to accept myself--because there is nothing I could do about it--but people do treat you like a freak when you're too tall and feel free to say rude and obnoxious things. I am older now and developed a thick skin, but I still don't like to be in photos with regular people.
Humanity is seriously weird. This is very concerning. What's wrong with people?!

Old 05-08-2018, 11:08 AM

4,175 posts, read 2,578,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I swear, I must be either a lot uglier than I think I am, or else the least photogenic person on the planet.

I’m not used to thinking of myself as ugly, I know I used to be pretty, although I know the years have not been kind, but I have not looked good in a picture for about 15 years.
I really, really know what you mean. I used to be "kind of" cute. And now at 70 my hair looks pretty good from the back. But that's about it I'm afraid . People must think I'm younger than I am till I turn around. What a bummer .

Last week I was out for a run/walk thing in the early evening trying to get into shape. Not having much luck with that either. A dog was barking at me, and the kid said "Don't bark at that old lady!". I guess I'm not fooling anybody. Everybody else can see that i"m not so hot anymore. Now I just need to accept it myself . My inner young adult doesn't like that at all, lol.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:03 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm somewhat heavy. I think I look a lot better in motion and day-to-day than in a picture where it's more readily apparent that I'm chubby.
I used to be thin, but 27 years ago, I gained 40 pounds in pregnancy and gave birth to a six-pound baby. Then I gained a little more.

I did lose 20 last year. Need to lose at least another 20.

My bf is a good photographer, and he just sent me some pics he took last week that don't look too awful. I am always surprised by how many freckles I've accumulated on my face, but it was somewhat gratifying to see that the lines aren't too bad yet even though I'm less than three months from sixty. That oily teenage skin that caused me so much grief is paying off now.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:09 PM

710 posts, read 585,398 times
Quote:
When you see yourself in a mirror you are seeing a reverse image of the way everyone else sees you.
I don’t know how to take that because I look good in some mirrors and bad in others.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:42 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,352,481 times
Quote:
Yes, I sort of mean that. The relativity thing. Very few fifty-something (OK, so I will be SIXTY in a few months) women carry the level of beauty they had when they were younger that contrasted so sharply with my lack of it, so there's sort of an evening-out as the former beauties start to look a little more like the rest of us. Some women are quite photogenic even as they age, though.

My friend's mother once said a few years ago--"When we (her generation) were younger, we all wanted to look like Elizabeth Taylor--and now we do!"
I'm just past 60. So you and I will be absolute objets d'art if we live long enough

Old 05-08-2018, 01:45 PM

5,456 posts, read 4,064,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
I don’t know how to take that because I look good in some mirrors and bad in others.

Did you ever catch a glimpse of yourself in a mirror under fluorescent lighting, like at a highway rest stop? OMG, talk about the walking dead...

I was thinking about this today, looks is the only thing I feel this way about. I read those magazine articles about "how to quiet the critical voices in your head that tell you you're not good enough, etc." and I think, what voices? I'm pretty confident about all other aspects of myself.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:58 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,473,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm somewhat heavy. I think I look a lot better in motion and day-to-day than in a picture where it's more readily apparent that I'm chubby.
I don't kid myself, I'm fat and I definitely look worse in motion than in stills. I would murder the fool who post a pic of me in motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I'm just past 60. So you and I will be absolute objets d'art if we live long enough
Turned 60 last month, really can't believe I am, my mind just seems to not be able to get out of 40, but my body face seems to be advancing much faster, though I don't think I look horrid for 60, but 50 was so much better and 40 I was still killing it. Oh well, camera doesn't love me, but I still get hit on regularly, make up or no makeup, so, can't be all bad. OK, maybe not hit on exactly regularly, more like peck.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The last time someone took a candid photo of me, it was responsible for causing a herd of camels to stampede, a gaggle of geese to migrate north in the wintertime, and six people needed therapy after seeing it. So the answer is, no.

Edit to add: OK, I did have one photo taken of me that looked OK. It was a selfie taken in the mirror and I tilted my head up so you couldn't see my quadruple chins. You also got a good look up both my nostrils. Not sure that's a picture I want to show anyone, though.
You are so funny . This post, and the other one is exactly how I feel about myself. Thanks for the laughs.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
But Novocaine makes me drool . But I feel pretty, oh so pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty