Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 07:25 PM

64 posts, read 79,329 times

Advertisements

All the replies must be from straight men, or fashion challenged men. I live in the San Francisco area. After one very large bonus, I treated myself to an Ermenegildo Zegna silk wool blazer, a Zegna tie and Zegna shirt. I bought these at Neiman Marcus, and the gay gentleman who put the colors together had epic taste in color combinations. There is another designer I discovered at Neiman's, which is ETRO. Their shirt fabrics and colors are exquisite. Another designer with unique clothes is Robert Graham. His shirt cuffs are a completely different pattern than the rest of the shirt. You can't go wrong with John Varvatos, and of course Versace. No gay man would ever go to a club without his Versace silk shirt on. Prada makes clothes which drape fabulously on a gay man as well. Kiton makes mens suits and jackets with such vibrant colors, you wonder how they do it. Most of Neiman Marcus, Saks 5th Avenue and Nodrstrom sales associates in San Francisco are gay. They know exactly how to make you Levis wearing frump a dumps look good.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:03 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoto View Post
All the replies must be from straight men, or fashion challenged men. I live in the San Francisco area. After one very large bonus, I treated myself to an Ermenegildo Zegna silk wool blazer, a Zegna tie and Zegna shirt. I bought these at Neiman Marcus, and the gay gentleman who put the colors together had epic taste in color combinations. There is another designer I discovered at Neiman's, which is ETRO. Their shirt fabrics and colors are exquisite. Another designer with unique clothes is Robert Graham. His shirt cuffs are a completely different pattern than the rest of the shirt. You can't go wrong with John Varvatos, and of course Versace. No gay man would ever go to a club without his Versace silk shirt on. Prada makes clothes which drape fabulously on a gay man as well. Kiton makes mens suits and jackets with such vibrant colors, you wonder how they do it. Most of Neiman Marcus, Saks 5th Avenue and Nodrstrom sales associates in San Francisco are gay. They know exactly how to make you Levis wearing frump a dumps look good.
Interesting suggestions, although those might be out of my price range. I actually scored a good deal on a pink Calvin Klein shirt for my father for Father's Day from Macy's, but these might be too high-end.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:31 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Everyone has suggested this before: stop buying clothes for other adult people. Mom,dad, gay,straight or bi.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:33 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You realize gay men can also wear those brands, right? They're not just for the "straightest men", whatever that means.

As an adult man who likes to wear "fairytale pink" polos, I would think you would understand that clothing does not determine one's sexuality.
And he's reminded people MANY times.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:40 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
I know three gay men at the moment who I am close enough to to ask where they get their clothes, so I just did. One shops at Walmart and online and buys mostly jeans and plain t-shirts. One does like the Gap, Lands End, and event t-shirts. The third makes most of his own clothes. He's heavily into various --punk communities (steampunk, etc.) and costuming.

The point, which many people have made, is that everyone is an individual and has different clothing tastes that have nothing to do with their sexualities.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:02 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
My oldest son is gay. He is about to turn 33 and he shops at Express because he is slim and their shirts come in slim and super slim. He also likes H&M and when he was younger he shopped at Abercrombie & Fitch a lot.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:31 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
My 21-year-old gay son doesn't dress like other gays, he dresses like other 21-year-olds.

A 30-something lesbian coworker doesn't dress like other lesbians, she dressed like other 30-somethings.

An older gay couple I know don't dress like other gays, they dress like other older men.

Do you notice the pattern here?

Old 05-22-2018, 07:21 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
I have several gay friends whose tastes and styles are as varied as my straight friends. Some of them are fashionable and some are not at all/don't care. Some dress fratty, some more uptown-club-ish, some more flamboyant, some like gym rats, some hipster, some goth. All of them shop at a variety of stores, pretty much all of which are stores straight men shop at as well (including myself). Asking this topic is as broad as asking 'where do white men buy clothes?' or 'where do straight women buy shoes?'

Last edited by Sunbather; 05-22-2018 at 07:30 AM..

Old 05-22-2018, 07:39 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
I don't think gay people all dress alike and from the same place. It's personal preference, just like it is for straight people.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:09 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,608 times
I think Zara is an appealing brand to many gay men. The Spanish chain offers sleek, slim cut, Euro styles with a little extra decoration. H&M is cheaper and inferior but checks many of the same boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty